View Poll Results: Who would you start at CB?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hill

18 40.00%
  • Butler

27 60.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rambos is offline Registered User

Who would you start at CB?

Hill looked shaky at times in Green Bay. Butler we just donít know if he is the same guy, prior to his injury.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Re: Who would you start at CB?

Hill will get better as the season goes on because he's a rookie. Butler has been around a bit so he won't improve as much if any.

chipperjones is offline Registered User

It's not an option, but Bartell looked decent in his time. Better than Hill anyway, and he looks to be ahead of Butler on the depth chart.

JerHawk81 is offline Registered User

Can someone give me a detailed rundown of how Hill's doing? I followed him a bit prior to the draft and was hoping that he'd fall to us - a hope that was all-but gone around combine time.

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Hill has looked preety good. But he let up the play that brought the packers back into the game.(even though he was left with 1 on 1 coverage with only 1 saftey deep)
    Butler though i think deserves to start. He also played ok agaisnt green bay, but did have the game winning FR.
    And lets not forget that for about 2 years he was by far out best corner
    in 2005 i think ti was he had 5 of our lousy 6 ints on the season.

my vote-butler

I'll rephrase my question:

Has Hill just gotten burnt on a few plays? Has he bought on a lot of play actions? Has he just been slow to react on stop patterns? Is he missreading the zone? Etc.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by JerHawk81 View Post
    I'll rephrase my question:

Has Hill just gotten burnt on a few plays? Has he bought on a lot of play actions? Has he just been slow to react on stop patterns? Is he missreading the zone? Etc.
    He's playing as you would expect a typical first round rookie to play. Gets burnt occasionally but demonstrates good coverage on other times. The speed is as advertised, and he'll stay with anyone in pure man. You see his speed a lot on kickoff coverages where he crosses field to catch a guy that otherwise would be in the endzone. He's certainly shown why he was selected where he was. Gets a good jump on the ball but has been inconsistent bringing it in. When the Rams go to their nickel packages, Hill takes the outside man while starting CB Fisher takes the slot man. He's displayed good tackling thus far this season but hasn't been used much on the blitz to my knowledge.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Good Info, thanks Nick

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Alec22 View Post
    Hill has looked preety good. But he let up the play that brought the packers back into the game.(even though he was left with 1 on 1 coverage with only 1 saftey deep)
    Butler though i think deserves to start. He also played ok agaisnt green bay, but did have the game winning FR.
    And lets not forget that for about 2 years he was by far out best corner
    in 2005 i think ti was he had 5 of our lousy 6 ints on the season.

my vote-butler
    This is a very tough call. On the one hand I say let Hill start and get the experience he needs. We'll have to live with the possible mistakes and hope it doesn't cost us this big game. On the other hand Butler has been waiting for this opportunity to prove himself. He is a veteran and has experience against the Seahawks. He just might step up and have a big game. This guy wants to start or at least get back in the rotation, so we know he's hungry.

my vote- Butler

This is a very tough call. On the one hand I say let Hill start and get the experience he needs. We'll have to live with the possible mistakes and hope it doesn't cost us this big game. On the other hand Butler has been waiting for this opportunity to prove himself. He is a veteran and has experience against the Seahawks. He just might step up and have a big game. This guy wants to start or at least get back in the rotation, so we know he's hungry.

my vote- Butler
    I agree with this, sums it up. I would continue to us Hill in the dime package and on ST. Hill is going to be a very good CB, but there is no need to rush it when we have Butler. We need to blitz as much as possible and not get lit up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I agree with this, sums it up. I would continue to us Hill in the dime package and on ST. Hill is going to be a very good CB, but there is no need to rush it when we have Butler. We need to blitz as much as possible and not get lit up.
    If we need to do a lot of blitzing, I'm not sure Butler is the guy you want to start. He's not a very physical corner at all. The bottom line is unless Fisher or Brown find a way to play, it's going to be tough to blitz a lot this weekend without exposing young guys like Bartell and Hill (who plays in nickel as well, not just dime) and probably Atogwe.

I hear what you are saying Nick, I would prefer the experience in this game to a more physical younger guy. Hill has shown me he has a lot of confidence and is a sure tackler. But GB went at him all day; Butler has been in these big games before.

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

I would rather see Hill as the nickel back so we don't have to rush him into the starting line-up. Butler has been a starter before and I have faith that he can still start for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I hear what you are saying Nick, I would prefer the experience in this game to a more physical younger guy. Hill has shown me he has a lot of confidence and is a sure tackler. But GB went at him all day; Butler has been in these big games before.
    You make it sound like people don't go at Butler, though. He's not exactly a guy who shuts down half of the field - you don't get nine interceptions and 150 tackles in two years at the cornerback position because teams aren't testing your side of the field.

Regardless of who we have in there, we're going to get tested, especially if we choose not to blitz or can't get adequate pressure from our front four like in Green Bay. Is Tye Hill's inexperience so much more of a hindrance than the lack of playing time Butler has had thus far this season? Keep in mind Butler's action against Green Bay is the first regular season action he's seen since January 2005.

Butler, back-to-back interception leader for Rams when heathly. He's ready to play. Hill is a rook, if you where an OC who are you going to test first. It's not about how well the front four are getting pressure it's about who has done it before in a big game.

I agree Bulter is not a shut down CB, but right now I would go with him over the rook, who will at times make mistakes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast