eldfan is offline Registered User

Who's worse: Rams or SEMO?

Who's worse: Rams or SEMO?

Columnist Jeff Gordon
    (E-mail a "Letter to Gordo")By Jeff Gordon
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
    09/07/2008

One week into the NFL season, the Rams can feel good about punter Donnie Jones. He was really busy Sunday and he kicked the stuffing out of the ball.

So that’s something positive.

The rest of the Rams “performance” Sunday was horrid, raising grave concerns about this team’s ability to bounce back from their 3-13 fiasco in 2007.

We all knew the Rams would have a tough time in Philadelphia. That is a brutal place to play, one of the worst in the NFL.

The Eagles are one of the NFC favorites this season and Andy Reid has one of the finest coaching staffs in the league.

But even the greatest skeptics were surprised at how easily the Eagles handled the Rams. Philadelphia’s 38-3 victory was almost like watching Mizzou crush poor SEMO on Saturday night at Faurot Field.

The Eagles physically dominated the Rams on both sides of the ball. They crushed what little spirit the Rams brought into this game.

“We got our butts kicked,” Rams coach Scott Linehan told the Rams Radio network. “There is no way to sugarcoat it.”

During the decisive first half, Philadelphia outgained the Rams 331 to 87. Again, this was like watching the Tigers maul the Redhawks in Columbia. The Eagles were superior physically, emotionally and tactically.

“I really thought we were ready,” Linehan said. “Obviously we weren’t.”

Let us list just some of the Rams concerns:

* Pass rushing defensive end Leonard Little hobbled off the field mere moments into the game. James Hall isn’t a terrible fill-in, but the Rams lost their ability to muster much pass pressure with their base defense. Rookie Chris Long isn’t a playmaker, yet, over on the right side.

Sans Little, this defensive front doesn’t get much push.

* The front seven’s rush defense wasn’t great either. Scouts are unimpressed with the bulk and strength of these guys -– and you could see why in this game. Eagles running back Brian Westbrook averaged 4.8 yards per carry in this game.

* Tackle Orlando Pace, still in the game despite a 38-0 deficit, got cracked in the ribs. As bad as the Rams looked in this game, imagine how much worse life would be with Adam Goldberg starting in his spot.

* The Eagles pounded quarterback Marc Bulger with constant pressure. The result: An increasingly unsteady Bulger started unloading passes off his back foot again. Uh-oh ...

* Along those lines, Rams receiver Torry Holt didn’t catch a pass until the third quarter. How could this happen?

* The Rams secondary was terrible. Cornerback Tye Hill got burned again and again by Philly’s second-team receivers. Among the guys getting free was rookie DeSean Jackson, one of the receivers the Rams passed on to draft Donnie Avery.

(Avery sat out this game with a knee injury, which is unrelated to his previous hip injury. Something tells us the Avery-Jackson comparisons won’t be favorable at the end of the year.)

* Receiver Drew Bennett was carted away after his first catch. Nobody expected much from him this season, but it was disheartening to see this free-agent flop exit just one catch into the season. We’ll see if rookie Keenan Burton is ready to go.

* The offensive line flinched in the face of the Eagles pressure. The false-start penalties piled up. Blitz assignments were blown. Pace held up OK, but the rest of the group, especially Alex Barron, had major issues. Have they never seen a blitz before?

* With the offensive line getting manhandled, running back Steven Jackson worked in heavy traffic all game. He got to the second-level once with a 24-yard catch-and-run play, but otherwise had no room to work.

* The Rams got a lot of practice covering punts . . . and didn’t do a great job of it. Jackson broke a 60-yard return and nearly got loose a second time.

So where does the team go from here? How do the Rams, 3-14 since the start of the 2007 season, recover from this?

:ramlogo:

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Who's worse: Rams or SEMO?

Ugggh....

The only thing I can say is that they better be practicing tomorrow till sunday morning next week. Also that we get the biggest OL Free agent out there.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

We could have had Willie Anderson, but in typical Rams fashion we offered him peanuts and he went to another team.

Just sell the team. PLEASE! I want a new FO. I don't want to go through the 90's again.

I encourage everyone to go to NFL.com and watch the Scott Linehan post game press conference snippet. It's great. As usual, the man has no answers. He just spouted off such classics as "we need to play better" and "we need to put this behind us". My favorite part is when he says "well, big plays made the diference today". REALLY? I hadn't noticed. Thanks Scott. I can see why you are the HC
    Last edited by ScottD413; -09-07-2008 at 11:33 PM.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

OMG, what was up with the play where Bulger throws a forward pass....backwards?

He turns to SJ and throws an overhand pass to Jackson. If Jackson does not catch that, it is a fumble and the velocity on that thing will go 15 yards behind him and who knows who will get it???

The play-calling really sucked in this game. There were a number of 3rd and long plays where we threw a short pass with no chance to get the first down???????? Lovely.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    OMG, what was up with the play where Bulger throws a forward pass....backwards?

He turns to SJ and throws an overhand pass to Jackson. If Jackson does not catch that, it is a fumble and the velocity on that thing will go 15 yards behind him and who knows who will get it???

The play-calling really sucked in this game. There were a number of 3rd and long plays where we threw a short pass with no chance to get the first down???????? Lovely.
    I know it's early and our playbook may have been a bit limited because the players are still learning, but my God! I was not impressed by Saunders playcalling at all! This is the guy who was going to save our offense?

That play with the backwards pass to Jackson? Rip that page out of the playbook and flush it down the toilet! Why not just run a pitch play? Why risk a 40 yard loss??

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Problem with the NFL, is the reject coaches find WORK. I wonder if Linehand is shown the door (hopefully very soon), where he might find work. I hope its perhaps the Seahawks

But something is not right with the Rams...play calling asside. Where was the passion? Football is as much about heart as it is talent and schemes. As simple as an off-tackle running play is, which they been doing since high School, it boils down to blocking and beating the man in front of you. How complex is that? It seems the Eagles grasp that concept--worked pretty darn well for them.

As much as Martz was reckless with management of the game, with respects to being pass happy, poor use of the clock and a host of other glaring quirks, at least he knew how to move the ball. Am really starting to miss Martz at this point--even though FRisko didn't fair that well either