Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DE_Ramfan
  • 1 Post By Flippin' Ram

Thread: Why?????????????

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Why?????????????

Why is no one thinking Lovie Smith as DC, if you remember we had one of the most stifling defenses when he was DC here. I know he wouldn't be here for long, but hey Fisher and Smith together? That's just Crazy. If I were the front office I would at least take a look at it, if he's not hired as a coach by the Eagles.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Why?????????????

Personally I'd rather have someone who isn't going to be going anywhere for a while. Lovie will be a head coach again this season or the next. I'm also not sure how similar the two defensive styles are.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    Why is no one thinking Lovie Smith as DC, if you remember we had one of the most stifling defenses when he was DC here.
    The Rams' defense finished the season this year ranked 14th in both points allowed and yards allowed. That's on par or better than what the Rams did defensively in two of the three years Lovie was DC for the team.

So, I don't think Lovie's results as the Rams' DC were so much better than what our current staff is capable of doing, and that doesn't even begin to discuss whether or not his and Fisher's defensive philosophies are good fits for one another.

I think Lovie rejoining the Rams is rather unlikely, but I guess anything could happen. It seems more likely to me that he finds work as a head coach somewhere.
    Last edited by Nick; -01-11-2013 at 02:55 PM.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Before Lovie got the ax and I heard the rumors he might get fired...I was all lovy on getting Lovie

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Because he's HC material and runs a different scheme despite it being a 4-3. If you want this team to succeed in the NFL, you best let Fisher put continuity within the system. Having gone through 3 offensive systems (Shurmur, McDaniels, and Schottenheimer) is one of the reasons why our offense is at the bottom half.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    Why is no one thinking Lovie Smith as DC, if you remember we had one of the most stifling defenses when he was DC here. I know he wouldn't be here for long, but hey Fisher and Smith together? That's just Crazy. If I were the front office I would at least take a look at it, if he's not hired as a coach by the Eagles.
    First, are you practicing 'smiley facing?'

Second, while I wholeheartedly agree with you about Lovie's competence and IMO Fisher needs to stick with head-coaching and not defensive coordinating, Lovie would be on loan if he came here this coming season and that doesn't seem like a formula for success in the long-term.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRam View Post
    First, are you practicing 'smiley facing?'

Second, while I wholeheartedly agree with you about Lovie's competence and IMO Fisher needs to stick with head-coaching and not defensive coordinating, Lovie would be on loan if he came here this coming season and that doesn't seem like a formula for success in the long-term.
    About any OC or DC these days are short-term in the NFL. If they have a modicum of success, they are suddenly HC candidates as the NFL GM's are looking more towards coordinators than college coaches. Look at how Shurmur got the HC job 2 years later after having the worst offense in the history of the NFL or Spags being a DC for all of 2 years before becoming a HC.