throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Why all the hate for Spags?

RamingtoLA is offline Registered User

Why all the hate for Spags?

Did Spags coaching cost the rams some games? Yes but the Rams still wouldn't have made the playoffs with all the injuries. By Spags costing the Rams a few games they will get the 2 pick in the draft. If anything you should be mad they beat the saints or the browns that cost the Rams the number 1 pick over all. Give Spags a break.
    jackson3909 likes this.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Why all the hate for Spags?

I don't understand the "hate" myself. I think he's a good dude who can be a good coach but it didn't (should he be fired) work out. I don't hate the guy. Some people seem like they want to slap his momma and kick his puppies. He's (probably) gone. Be excited that we're heading in a new direction, not that people are losing their jobs (and it won't just be Devany and Spags... equipment managers gotta eat too).

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Spags is beyond an excellent defensive minded coach. It's just he's still hasn't matured yet as an HC, he's incompetent at making good halftime adjustments, preparing players for the game mentally, and just flat out too nice (although Lovie Smith is a nice guy to his players too, he has the discipline factor). When we first hired him, I thought some of Coughlin's aggressive coaching style would rub off on him, but he was still too nice of a guy. I really wish him the best of luck elsewhere, and hope he realizes that there's more to coaching than being the passively "nice guy" while at the same time not yelling at players for petty mistakes in a Gruden-like manner.
    ManofGod likes this.

bradwill is offline Registered User

I don't know Spags personally so I have no hatred towards him whatsoever. My joy is the Rams are getting a new GM and HC and going in a new direction, not that people are getting fired from their jobs and hahahahaha. Spags seems like a class guy but it didn't work out in STL for him or the team, though I place a little more blame on Devaney than I do Spags. It's not really realistic to replace the GM and keep the HC on the last year of his contract. though.

Spags will quickly land on his feet and more than likely that will be in Philly taking over for first year DC Castillo where you want to talk about something not working out, Castillo and the Dream Team D sure didn't this year.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Fans don't hate Spags- they hate the losing. Save for a brief 4 year stretch of the GSOT era, this team has lost consistently since 1991. We're sick of it. The Spags era is merely the latest disappointing chapter in this sad saga. The straight-thinking fan recognizes Spags is a very good defensive coach and seems to be a good person who is respected by his players, but is simply not head coaching material- at least not now. Few can dispute that.
    Tampa_Ram and Dwight Frye like this.

chucknbob is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamingtoLA View Post
    Did Spags coaching cost the rams some games? Yes.
    Sounds like you figures it out. I think hate is too strong of a word, but I think that he is better suited to being a defensive coordinater rather than a HC. As for being mad at him for beating the Saints and Browns, I don't understand. Are you suggesting that at week 8 Spags should have brought the team together and told them to start throwing games? To quote Herm Edwards "you play to win the game!"

prof22693 is offline Registered User

I really like Spags, hate to see him go. I don't think most of the teams problems were his fault, and I wish he had one more year.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I agree that there's been some needless hate for Spags by some on this board. He's a good man and a great defensive mind who was just in over his head. He wasn't able to make things work, but to throw terms like "idiot" or "bum" at him is completely inappropriate IMO. More than anything, I think most were upset with the circumstance as opposed to the man. He's going to land on his feet and be successful wherever he goes, and I wish him all the best.

Trevor is offline Registered User

I don't think anyone hates Spags. He is just not the right HC for the Rams. They showed Spags on Espn a couple hours ago. They guaranteed that he will have a DC job next season or as an assistant head coach.

macrammer is online now Registered User

I suppose I missed the hate.....I saw many who are frustrated and want losing ways to stop. Spags as head coach is the leader of this team to a large degree and the buck stops with him. This is a business and success factors rarely (never?) take into account if you are a nice guy or not as to how you are dealt with in terms of job success. The results were not there. Spags will do well for himself and he may actually be a great HC in the future. Time to turn page.

bradwill is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I don't think anyone hates Spags. He is just not the right HC for the Rams. They showed Spags on Espn a couple hours ago. They guaranteed that he will have a DC job next season or as an assistant head coach.
    Odds are good that will be as the Eagles' DC, but I imagine both TB and the Colts will make a strong push for him too. Spags will have his choice of a few DC positions, I have no doubt about that.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

I have never seen anyone say they hate Spags. So I have no idea what you are talking about. He had the second worst winning percentage of all time and still there was little hate.

to be honest I thought he was given far more slack than he should of given. He was an awful head coach and yes we had tons of injuries but so didn't everyone. Look at the Raiders, the Eagles, the Texans and on and on.

If anything it's amazing that there are still tons of fans who were hoping we'd keep Spags for another year. It's ridiculous imo. We're supposed to forgive the fact that he never had a winning record, was never able to compete with good teams, that we failed miserably in our most important game under him and that he compiled an awful assistant coaching staff because we had injuries this year?

I'm so glad Spags is gone and can't wait to see who we hire next. Whether it's Fisher, Gruden or someone else there is no way they can be as bad as Spags.

Yep, I think the original poster here as went a bit to keen on the title of this thread. I have not seen any "hate" for this very nice guy but shoot, he aint no HC at this stage of his NFL life and if he ever learns the ropes of a HC then good luck to him. But confusing dislike and pointing out that Spags is NOT a HC and is in fact the WORSE ever HC the Rams have employed, is not in anyway saying that one hates him. So lets put that baby to bed please.

macrammer and 39WillRunYaOva like this.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamingtoLA View Post
    Did Spags coaching cost the rams some games? Yes but the Rams still wouldn't have made the playoffs with all the injuries. By Spags costing the Rams a few games they will get the 2 pick in the draft. If anything you should be mad they beat the saints or the browns that cost the Rams the number 1 pick over all. Give Spags a break.
    Well, he also cost the team some games last year, and if they had won any of those games they would have made the playoffs, so, um, yeah we can fire him.
    Fettmaster likes this.

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

I dont hate "him" i just dont think he was that good of a HC.10-38 says it all honestly.If you like that record then i question your desire to win.I dont want a loosing team and i cant see anyone else liking that either.His body of work speaks for himself,you only get so many chances in this league 10 wins in 3 seasons is just not good enough.This league is all about production and what can you do for me.Spags couldnt win.After his firing you have heard some players mention that he didnt listen to plays,i forget who but someone said they hope the next coach will listen to players more.That says to me that Spags didnt listen to players when they thought they had something going.Thats part of being a coach,the players play the game they do the dirty work.Coaches make game plans but players execute and during game they are the ones who have the best view at whats going on the field what matchups they think they can win.He never made adjustments and it showed and clearly the players saw that and didnt appreciate his stubborn mindset."We entered the game with a gameplan and we will follow it no matter how futile it is or how bad its going,no questions asked"Thats not what a good HC does,a good HC sees whats working and goes with it.Spags seems like a good guy but i care more about the job being accomplished then the guys personality.And i think thats how most ppl feel about him,i dont think anyone honestly hates the guy as a person.This is the NFL not the buddy buddy club,they have a job to do and Spags wasnt good at it.Would your boss pay you to not do your job?No,you would be fired if you couldnt do what your asked to do or said you will do which is win games in Spags case.I wish him luck honestly but im glad he is gone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast