Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Why all the Trent Green bashing?

Wasn't it Trent Green that was going to be our starter for the 1999 season until Rodney Harrison hit him with a cheap shot during a preseason game?

Now, is the 2008 version of Trent Green the same as say 1999 or his days with the Chiefs? Maybe not, probably not. How's Kurt Warner doing these days? I never say never until I witness first hand the failure.

It's not Trent Greens fault that he has been made the starter for Sundays game against the Bills.

Seems like Trent Green has already been condemned or even injured before he steps one foot on the field. Very unfair in my opinion.

Trent Green is a RAM and we need to support him even though we would rather see Bulger out there.

GO RAMS!!!!!

rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: Why all the Trent Green bashing?

It's also not Trent Green's fault that most think he will be hurt because of the o-line not because of Trent Green. Just like it wasnt Marc's fault it won't be Trent's. If Trent Green plays well on Sunday and the Rams somehow win, Bulger will never see the field again. This could end up being a very bad situation. One we really didn't need either. Now becasue of this mess QB may be our number one priority in the draft instead of the real problem, the O-LINE, or even DEFENSE. So I'm not condemning Green I'm eluding to the fact that nothing has changed and the same o-line will be out there whiffing on their blocks for him too.
    Just Fix It

eldfan is offline Registered User

Yes you are right it amazes me at this point less try something we know the outcome we got from Bulger. What could it hurt to get behind Green it hope he plays well.
    :ramlogo:

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    Yes you are right it amazes me at this point less try something we know the outcome we got from Bulger. What could it hurt to get behind Green it hope he plays well.
    The reasoning behind not being able to get behind Green is simple:

1. He is 38 yards old and has a couple years left, at best. So what does it matter if he is successful? This team isn't ready to make noise in the playoffs.
    2. The season is lost. We are 0-3 and what is the point is starting a graybeard over your 60+ million dollar franchise QB? Last I checked, this is a new system that Bulger is supposed to be LEARNING. Does Linehan really think a win or two by Green will save his job? He cannot possibly be that dumb.
    3. What message does it send when you bench one of your captains? Your captain who has taken a beating the past few years and proven to be tough as nails, wanting to play through pain, continually getting up, over and over and over again, yet Corey Chavous and Tye Hill still see the field. Come on, really?

If you really wanted to shake things up here, why not start Brock Berlin and see what he can offer in the future. Starting Green proves nothing at all.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I'm behind Green. I don't support the switch and wouldn't have made that call. But I'm still curious to see how well he can play, what he can do. I'm going to watch the game that's for sure. Now with Fahkir Brown cut and a change of QB's, if nothing else it shakes things up and maybe some guys wake up. Let's give Green his shot and the benefit of the doubt and see if he can't at least improve a little on our miserable performance, we could be in for a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    The reasoning behind not being able to get behind Green is simple:

1. He is 38 yards old and has a couple years left, at best. So what does it matter if he is successful? This team isn't ready to make noise in the playoffs.
    2. The season is lost. We are 0-3 and what is the point is starting a graybeard over your 60+ million dollar franchise QB? Last I checked, this is a new system that Bulger is supposed to be LEARNING. Does Linehan really think a win or two by Green will save his job? He cannot possibly be that dumb.
    3. What message does it send when you bench one of your captains? Your captain who has taken a beating the past few years and proven to be tough as nails, wanting to play through pain, continually getting up, over and over and over again, yet Corey Chavous and Tye Hill still see the field. Come on, really?

If you really wanted to shake things up here, why not start Brock Berlin and see what he can offer in the future. Starting Green proves nothing at all.
    I respectfully disagree that the season is lost. Last time I checked we were only 2 games out of 1st place in the NFC West. With the Cardinals playing at the JETS and the Whiners playing at New Orleans this weekend. A win by the RAMS this Sunday would put us right back in the thick of the NFC West race.
    That's why Trent Green is starting over Berlin. Linehan and Saunders obviously feel Green gives us the best chance to win. Of course our defense has to step up and that's really the biggest and most questionable or better yet worst area of our team right now.

Again it's not Trent Greens fault.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Bash Green? No.

Support Green? Yes.

Fear for the long term health of Green? Absolutely.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Truth is offline Registered User

I wouldn't have made the switch, but I'll be interested to see how Green runs this offense.

As for Bulger never seeing the field again, I doubt that. First, I can't imagine Green will make it through the season without injury. I certainly don't wish any harm upon him. But have you seen our O-line? Second, Green is 38 years old, he is not our QB of the future.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I respectfully disagree that the season is lost. Last time I checked we were only 2 games out of 1st place in the NFC West. With the Cardinals playing at the JETS and the Whiners playing at New Orleans this weekend. A win by the RAMS this Sunday would put us right back in the thick of the NFC West race.
    That's why Trent Green is starting over Berlin. Linehan and Saunders obviously feel Green gives us the best chance to win. Of course our defense has to step up and that's really the biggest and most questionable or better yet worst area of our team right now.

Again it's not Trent Greens fault.
    Last I checked, we were giving up 39 points a game, losing by 28 points a game, and are 0-3 ...

It's lost ...

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Last I checked, we were giving up 39 points a game, losing by 28 points a game, and are 0-3 ...

It's lost ...
    Key word being "were". If you have given up on the RAMS that's cool.

I'm not ready to cash it in yet. There are still 13 games left in the season and until we are mathematically eliminated I will continue to be optimistic.

GO RAMS!!!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram
    There are still 13 games left in the season and until we are mathematically eliminated I will continue to be optimistic.
    I've never seen 13-3 miss the playoffs.

Hope springs eternal.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I'm not ready to cash it in yet. There are still 13 games left in the season and until we are mathematically eliminated I will continue to be optimistic.

GO RAMS!!!!
    I'd like to expand on this topic a little if I may....

Before this season started, most of the more level-headed Ram fans predicted a very mediocre season, finishing around anywhere from 6-10, to 9-7, at best. In fact, most of us predicted that the first three games would likely be losing efforts. In fact, the first 7 games looked to be very difficult to win. There were many posts about the very difficult schedule ahead, as well as numerous articles by "so-called" experts about the rough start ahead for the Rams.

Well, so far, everything has gone as most predicted. So why is everyone so surprised that we're 0-3? Hell, we're right on schedule!

To be honest, the alarming thing is NOT the 0-3 start, but the fact that the Rams have not even been competitive. What worried me before the season started, after seeing the schedule, was; would the poor start (I thought the Rams would be 2-5 after 7 games) create a "throw-in-the-towel" attitude by the players? And how disasterous that could be before we got to the easy part of the schedule, because I thought the Rams could win some games and salvage a respectable season (8-8). But if they got down early, and played with their heads down, my predicted 8-8 finish could easily turn into a 4-12 type season.

So, there's still time to turn this thing around and get some wins and gain some respect, and making drastic changes need to be done. Bulger is not the first QB to get benched, and he won't be the last. I'm not sure that I'd have done it, but then again, I didn't see the film, and I don't know what it is that the coaches saw from the Seahawks game that probably led to this. We'll just have to wait and see what effect it has on the team, and Bulger.

Now, as I said, I'm not as surprised or disappointed by the 0-3 start as I am with the effort I've seen so far. It's horrible. Changes need to be made, and drastic one at that. This organization needs a major overhaul, beginning at the very top.

I will root for Trent to do well, and I really expect him to perform. I thought he looked pretty comfortable in Saunders offense in the preseason, and we all know what he can bring to the table. If "cashing it in" means giving up hope of playoffs and the SB, well, that was a pipe-dream anyway. IMHO. I'm not "cashing it in", in hopes that some good will eventually come from this season. We'll find out who really wants to play, which coaches can really coach, and if our owner has any business running a football team.

I'd be more disappointed, and ready to "cash it in" if I opened up the paper and read that the Rams were doing nothing.

Sorry for the long rant....
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

RFRH, Very well said. This shake up is needed in a big way. To stand pat & do nothing would just mean more of what has already taken place & god knows I've seen enough of that. So Bulger being benched is no big deal to me. Right now we need a leader to step up & bring what spirits might be left, up. I know Green is not the long term answer & I have to believe neither does this incompetent coaching staff. Things just have to change & this is part of the shake down.
    Now it will be interesting to see how Bulger responds to being benched, will he become a poor pitiful me & sulk in a corner or will he fight for his job & come out of this a better QB.
    I'm hoping for the later but only time will tell.
    As far as Brown being let go, bye bye. He was nothing special & as far as him being the best corner we had, If he was the best, you see the results & it speaks volumes on what changes need to be made. Hopefully this is just the start of more changes to come.
    We still need changes on the middle of the OL.
    All I want for this team this year is to just play competitive football & hold there heads high & know that if they don't there job is on the line.

GO RAMS!!!!
    Well, I need to clarify, as I am not giving up on the season ...

I am nearly shot on the playoffs, and winning a bunch of games might be an afterthought, as I just don't see how it is going to happen at this point ...

What I am not giving up on is seeing Chris Long develop into a monster, Donnie Avery develop into our future #1, Carriker and Ryan wrecking havoc inside, Manning, Jr. becoming a top notch corner for us, Jones and Brown continuing as the best kicking tandem in the league, watching SJ break out of his holdout funk and terrorize opposing defenses, and let the beat go on ...

I will be tuning in every week, and will probably make a few games at the Lou. But I am tuning in for the players, to see what we have ...

I am not concerned about what our record is at this point ...

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not sure anyone is really bashing Green, just looking at his recent history. It's been years since he was a productive QB, or a healthy one. If you go by the numbers, he was not effective at all during the preseason and showed zero mobility.

This Sunday I will be behind Green 100% and hope he has the game of his life, but I have serious reservation about that becoming a reality with the support, or lack there of he'll have on the field. I would love to be wrong here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast