Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Why aren't we using more shotgun formation?

With the lack of protection up front, I'm not quite sure why we aren't almost exclusively using shotgun formations to provide Bulger a little more vision of what is upfront on the opposing defenses ...

While the shotgun really doesn't do anything to neutralize the rush, it does give Bulger a better view of the field and might allow us to get more quick strikes like the skinny post to Bruce last week ...

It seems to me that a perfect formation would be two wideouts and a TE on the line of scrimmage, with a TE and a RB in the backfield with Bulger. Owens would be the ideal TE due to his blocking abilities. Minor is a veteran, and Leonard is very smart, so both could be sufficient in such a role. When the ball is snapped, let the wideouts and McMichael do their thing downfield. Owens would block as required, and Leonard would serve a dual role: first, as a blocker, second, as a checkdown receiver out of the backfield. On obvious passing downs, we could have two TE's in the backfield if necessary.

I haven't seen this particular strategy from us yet. It's hard to believe the lack of creativity of the coaching staff. Dante Hall could even line up back there and run sideline flare routes ...

Just a thought ....

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Re: Why aren't we using more shotgun formation?

Sounds like a reasonable strategy to me.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    With the lack of protection up front, I'm not quite sure why we aren't almost exclusively using shotgun formations to provide Bulger a little more vision of what is upfront on the opposing defenses ...

While the shotgun really doesn't do anything to neutralize the rush, it does give Bulger a better view of the field and might allow us to get more quick strikes like the skinny post to Bruce last week ...

It seems to me that a perfect formation would be two wideouts and a TE on the line of scrimmage, with a TE and a RB in the backfield with Bulger. Owens would be the ideal TE due to his blocking abilities. Minor is a veteran, and Leonard is very smart, so both could be sufficient in such a role. When the ball is snapped, let the wideouts and McMichael do their thing downfield. Owens would block as required, and Leonard would serve a dual role: first, as a blocker, second, as a checkdown receiver out of the backfield. On obvious passing downs, we could have two TE's in the backfield if necessary.

I haven't seen this particular strategy from us yet. It's hard to believe the lack of creativity of the coaching staff. Dante Hall could even line up back there and run sideline flare routes ...

Just a thought ....
    great question,I wouldn't use anything but the shotgun until the o-line gets some heathy bodies.

Krames41 is offline Registered User

That's a great idea. Although I think our season has been the result of injuries I still wish our coaching staff would be a little bit more innovative with what they are trying to do.

general counsel is online now Registered User

THis is EXACTLY what i have been screaming at my TV for three weeks. I have a slightly revised version of this strategy however.

I would consider putting massey in on passing downs and putting bulger in punt formation. Let massey snap it 10 yards or more back to bulger which will give him at least some time to see the field and throw it before he gets killed.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

LoL. I think that just might be a tad bit on obvious side GC. Or we could try something really radical and start Gus.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

We have to establish the run. Then mix in the shot gun. Running the offense from the shot gun 100% of the time makes us 1 dimensional.

How about adding some no huddle? Especially when we have the matchups on the field that we feel we can exploit with the most productivity. We need continuity and chemistry from our offense. The no huddle IMO would help us get into a rhythm.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

We arent using shotgun because Linehan is an idiot.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Ditto to what ScottD413 said.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Lock and load and fire away.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Bulger is not allowed to use the shotgun very often because he is not as animated as Peyton Manning. The NFL is quite protective of Manning's ability to appear in every other commercial that you see these days and they cannot have marc Bulger chipping away at that advertising fortress.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Yeah! use the shotgun and point it at the coaches!!!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    How about adding some no huddle? Especially when we have the matchups on the field that we feel we can exploit with the most productivity. We need continuity and chemistry from our offense. The no huddle IMO would help us get into a rhythm.
    It certainly couldn't hurt. At the least it would allow us to limit defensive substitutions to a degree and keep opposing Ds off balance. Ferotte is very familiar with Linny's offense, and being the vet he is could likely run it efficiently. I'm all for it Laramo !!

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

The shotgun formation isn't conservative enough for the offense the coaching staff is trying to run. shotgun formations are usually for big gains through the air and shots at the endzone and as we all know linehan and olsen don't care for big plays they rather 2-5 yard passes martz was high risk high reward linehan is low risk NO reward
    Torry Holt Dont play that

jquarando is offline Registered User

you can still run draws and delays out of the shotgun. that would prolly open up the running game and the passing game. whatever happened to us setting up a screen every once and a while. leonard seems like he would rule running a screen play.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast