Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Why Atogwe hasn't signed Rams' franchise offer ..

June 8, 2009 12:39 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando 2009 NFL Franchise Player Pos. Team

Julius Peppers
    DE Panthers $16,683,000
    Matt Cassel
    QB Patriots $14,650,000
    Dunta Robinson
    CB Texans $9,957,000
    Antonio Bryant
    WR Bucs $9,884,000
    Karlos Dansby
    LB Cardinals $9,678,000
    Max Starks
    OL Steelers $8,451,000
    Leroy Hill
    LB Seahawks $8,304,000
    Terrell Suggs
    LB Ravens $8,304,000

Brandon Jacobs
    RB Giants $6,621,000
    Darren Sproles
    RB Chargers $6,621,000
    Oshiomogho Atogwe
    FS Rams $6,342,000

Bo Scaife
    TE Titans $4,462,000
    Shayne Graham
    K
    Bengals $2,483,000
    Michael Koenen
    P Falcons $2,483,000

Rams safety Oshiomogho Atogwe knows how to maximize risk. He has an NFL-high 32 forced fumbles and interceptions over the last three seasons.

Still, I went to St. Louis last week thinking Atogwe was taking an unnecessary gamble by declining to sign the Rams' one-year, $6.342 million franchise offer.

Hadn't Atogwe seen Leroy Hill take a lesser deal after the Seahawks rescinded their unsigned $8.3 million franchise offer? What if the Rams' priorities changed unexpectedly or Atogwe suffered an injury?

The NFL's other unsigned franchise players -- Julius Peppers, Dunta Robinson and Terrell Suggs -- play premium positions. Peppers and Suggs are pass rushers. Robinson is a cornerback. The NFL values those positions at a higher level. Safeties? Only punters, kickers and tight ends have lower franchise-player values.

There's much to admire about Atogwe's approach. He continues to participate fully in the Rams' offseason program, from organized team activities (OTAs) to minicamps. He isn't publicly complaining about his contract situation. The Rams have noticed. They probably will reward him with a long-term deal at some point.

It's just that Atogwe arguably could have it both ways by signing the contract. The money would become guaranteed and the Rams still would consider a long-term deal. At present, the Rams are free to rescind the tag and Atogwe is free to skip training camp and the regular season without incurring fines. Both scenarios appear unlikely, but circumstances can change unexpectedly.

The Rams are rebuilding whether or not Atogwe shows up. As much as they value him, their long-term future doesn't depend on a safety. Atogwe seemingly has more to lose. I raised these issues with Atogwe. A transcript of our conversation follows.

Mike Sando:
    What is the thinking in not signing the tag in terms of risks? The Seahawks pulled the tag on Leroy Hill and everyone had spent their money in free agency. Not that the Rams would do that to you, but in thinking through this thing, what is the benefit?

Oshiomogho Atogwe: Me personally, I believe my future is in God's hands, so I don't worry about risks when I make decisions. I think about what I could possibly gain from this and what could benefit me in this situation. Me having not signed the tag yet is not saying I don't want to be here with the Rams. It is just saying my contract may not be the best situation for me. I am committed to this team and I am waiting to see what their commitment to me is. If it's one year, then so be it. It's one year. When I sign it, I'm here with the team. Going forward, if they want to do a long-term deal and sign me and have me here for years to come, then I want to keep that option open in a way that is beneficial for both of us.

Mike Sando: So, the thought would be if you signed it, you would basically be saying, 'This is the deal'?

Oshiomogho Atogwe: Right. It does leave room for maybe a future negotiation, like maybe in a month they might want to negotiate with me. But to not sign it keeps them both open equally. Because now they are not 100 percent sure what I am going to do. All my cards are not on the table. Once I sign it, I'm locked in.

Mike Sando: But by showing up here in good faith for minicamps, they pretty much know you are going to be here, you know what I mean?

Oshiomogho Atogwe: Oh, yeah, they know I'm going to be here, but they do not know when. If I don't sign my tag, I don't have to show up until what, October? That exercises that option for me. I'm not saying I will use it, but it still keeps that open. It just gives me more leverage as far as the decisions I am able to make, versus if I just sign it and I am here.

majorram is offline Registered User

Re: Why Atogwe hasn't signed Rams' franchise offer ..

to me as we speak, I'm sure that the Rams are trying to get something done with OJ on a long term deal

steve
    "The breakfast Club"

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I like the kid. And I think the Rams need him. But I don't think I'm following his thought process on this one. If I don't sign, they don't know when I'm coming in. But I've been here for everything and pretty well telegraphed that I'm coming in on time.

Hmm.

OJ, personally, I hope you sign a long-term deal ASAP. But if you're looking to maximize your deal, I don't think yours is the most intuitive approach.

Sign the tender (short-term security). Then get your new deal (long term security) done. Trust me, the Rams are NOT going to forget your phone number just because you signed the tender.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I think he will sign a long term deal round the time Smith inks his deal barring a hold out.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

If he has nothing to lose by signing the tag then i dont think he really know what he wants. Maybe hes being extra cautious to not miss out on money or to ensure he gets the best contract possible, but an NFL player getting hurt is very likely then he'd really have trouble getting the contract or money he was looking for in the first place. Anyway I hope he rethinks and signs cause im getting his jersey!!!
    Last edited by unorthodox1999; -06-08-2009 at 06:18 PM.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

since it's in God's hands as O.J. puts it,hopefully the man upstairs tells him to sign the tender and the big contract won't be far behind.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Hehehe I love this kid! How do you guys not see the buisness in this.. He is taking the not signing in order to recive a long term deal.. It's more of a priority for st louis to sign him long term, if he has not signed the 1 yr. It's still a loose end in a sence.. It probably won't work but it is a good buisness detail.. Bright player, and most likly canniving bright agent behind him

FilthyMcNasty is offline Registered User

Who can blame him, holding out for a long term deal rather than face further insecurity a year from now? I hope we lock him down for the forseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by FilthyMcNasty View Post
    Who can blame him, holding out for a long term deal rather than face further insecurity a year from now? I hope we lock him down for the forseeable future.
    Because he can have both.

If something happens to him now, the Rams pull their tag, and he's out $6 mil. If he signs the tender, he's guaranteed $6 mil, AND he can work on his long-term deal.

Why give up short term when you can have both short AND long term?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Ramer is offline Registered User

He deserves a long term deal, hope he gets it.

WhinerFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Because he can have both.

If something happens to him now, the Rams pull their tag, and he's out $6 mil. If he signs the tender, he's guaranteed $6 mil, AND he can work on his long-term deal.

Why give up short term when you can have both short AND long term?
    He might get injured during training camp or the regular season. If he signs the one-year tender, the Rams have no incentive to sign him to a long-term deal quickly. They can easily wait till mid-season, or after the season is over, provided they get it done before free agency starts, and they might even be able to sign him after. Also, if he does not sign the franchise tender, he will not be fined for missing training camp or games.

Quote Originally Posted by WhinerFan View Post
    He might get injured during training camp or the regular season. If he signs the one-year tender, the Rams have no incentive to sign him to a long-term deal quickly. They can easily wait till mid-season, or after the season is over, provided they get it done before free agency starts, and they might even be able to sign him after. Also, if he does not sign the franchise tender, he will not be fined for missing training camp or games.
    But he's played his hand. He can pay lip service to holdout now, but all indications are he's going to show up anyway. But if he gets injured between now and then, the Rams can pull the tag and he's up a creek. If he signs the tag now and gets injured in an OTA, he's at least got $6mil in the bank.

WhinerFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    But he's played his hand. He can pay lip service to holdout now, but all indications are he's going to show up anyway. But if he gets injured between now and then, the Rams can pull the tag and he's up a creek. If he signs the tag now and gets injured in an OTA, he's at least got $6mil in the bank.
    Very true. If he is not actually willing to hold out, or the Rams do not believe he will, he should sign the tender and shut the f up. However, if he does hold out, or the Rams think he will, he is in a much better position than signing. I probably do not follow this as closely as some, so I would be curious to know what exactly indicates that his hold-out talk is not serious? Also, who is his agent?

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    June 8, 2009 12:39 PM

Oshiomogho Atogwe: Oh, yeah, they know I'm going to be here, but they do not know when. If I don't sign my tag, I don't have to show up until what, October? That exercises that option for me. I'm not saying I will use it, but it still keeps that open.
    He sounds a little bitter to me I wonder do he even want to sign a long term deal.
    :ramlogo:

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Its all about the $$$....both long term and short term. Either he signs or he doesn't and either way its a gamble. But honestly it almost sounds like his agent is putting the words into his mouth.

Of course he wants the sweetist deal possible. But what what is the best possible deal? Sure a one year contract leaves open the possibilities that he improves is marketability or decreases depending on performance. Even the long term deal isn't much to bank on--its the guarenteed $$$ that counts! Sign him to a 10 year $20mill. contract doesn't mean he will ever see that money let alone be with the Rams for 10 years.

In his shoes if there is is a guarenteed offer on the table--take it, and work my butt off so that I could come around another year and say--you ought have signed me a long-term deal when you could have because now it'll cost you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast