r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Why Curry Has More Value To Rams Than Lions

Why Curry has more value to Rams than Lions

July 22, 2009 3:29 PM
    Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

The Rams' newest receiver, Ronald Curry, owns nearly as many career catches -- 193 -- as the rest of the St. Louis receivers combined (199). The move to acquire Curry from the Lions for journeyman defensive lineman Orien Harris looks like a "win" for both teams.

The Rams get needed experience and depth at receiver, while the Lions get something in return for a player who no longer fit into their plans.

Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. sized up the deal this way:

My initial impressions off the bat is that Harris is worth nothing. Apparently he is the new commodity in the league so you look like you are getting something in return. The Lions just traded for Dennis Northcutt. Curry was going to be a slot guy. They just drafted Derrick Williams from Penn State in the third round, a returner and slot guy. Where does Curry fit? Northcutt is an ideal slot guy. That leaves Curry as the fifth receiver on a good day. My guess was that Detroit was not very excited about Curry when they got their hands on him.

As far as the Rams, I don't know if there is a worse group of receivers in the league than what St. Louis has, at least on paper. They are so young. I wouldn't have any problem adding veterans, especially ones that have some size [Curry is 6-2 and 210]. Donnie Avery is a burner. I don't know how long they are going to protect. I expect them to control the ball -- they have a defensive-minded head coach -- get the ball out quick, utilize bigger receivers who can run after the catch.

Curry is that guy if he can stay healthy. Good hands, really athletic. Played point guard at North Carolina. He has been a real project since he came into the league. He had a couple good years with the Raiders and then he just keeps getting hurt. To the Rams, it's worth it. They didn't give anything up.

I'll also pass along an earlier Scouts Inc. scouting report on Curry:

Curry appears to have made the transition from quarterback to wide receiver after six years in the NFL. He has a lot of natural skills, but is just now learning how to use them as a wide receiver as opposed to as a quarterback. He is explosive off the line of scrimmage and has enough deep speed to stretch the secondary down the seam. He is starting to show the ability to alter his speed to throw off the timing of defenders as they try to match his speed. But, he still needs work on developing a top-end gear to pull away from pursuit. He is a natural when it comes to catching the ball with his soft hands and can reach out to pluck the ball away from his body. He still needs some work on reaching down to catch low passes as opposed to sliding to the ground to make the catch. He has a tendency to stay with his route rather than break it off when the quarterback gets pressured. He can be inconsistent when it comes to adjusting his route to match the coverage. He looks more comfortable running his routes versus man coverage than he does versus zone coverage. He would probably look more comfortable in a situation where he is the No. 2 than the No. 1.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Re: Why Curry Has More Value To Rams Than Lions

Gee, after reading this article I suddenly feel better about the whole trade. After all, what's better than a old converted QB who has problems staying healthy? I'm just glad that ol'Scotty used that number two draft pick on Leonard in the end anyways.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Why not, we really don't have anything to lose from this.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

One more piece added to the puzzle

I worried about the lack of depth at recievers corp on the Rams squad--now I like this deal. Of course getting an elite WR would be ideal, but playing for the Lions, its hard to tell if Curry fits that bill--but after a little research, one can say he is solid at the possition.

With Avery and a solid WR running short to medium routs, the Rams have a "gotcha" quick strike capibility in Avery. Quick slants to TEs or dump off passess to S. Jackson to pull the defensive corners and safties to come up closure, just plays into Avery's quickness and speed to get down field and perhaps force some one-on-one coverage
    I Like those matchups

TekeRam is offline Registered User

We gave up nothing to get something at least. Sando said it was a good trade for both teams, yet said nothing about what the Rams gave up nor what the Lions gained in Harris. Everything was about what Curry gives us as a receiver, which is plenty good in my mind.

At worst he's a camp body that can mentor the kids for a few weeks. At best he's our #2 guy. Probably he comes in at the slot and catch some slants and quick outs for 30 catches and some first downs.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    After all, what's better than a old converted QB who has problems staying healthy?
    A 26-year-old journeyman DT who has played on four teams in as many years with as many solo tackles to his name? I doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc.
    As far as the Rams, I don't know if there is a worse group of receivers in the league than what St. Louis has, at least on paper.
    Oh how the mighty have fallen. Three to five years ago, our top three receivers could have stacked up against any other trio from the league IMO. Now, I'd probably be inclined to agree with Williamson's statement more than I'd disagree with it. This unit has a lot to prove, and if the Rams are going to be successful on offense, our receivers are going to have to take advantage of defenses that will likely be stacking the box to defend our one proven offensive weapon, Steven Jackson.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I'm more interested in what the Rams have on the field than "on paper."

maineram is offline Registered User

Unproven WR core, plenty of talent !!

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

RealRam is offline Registered User

Another MAJOR upgrade I believe and hope for: Curry potential over Bennett performance.

Keenum is offline Registered User

There is a HUGE difference between bad receivers and unproven receivers. Do we have bad WRs? WE DON'T KNOW. They are UNPROVEN, they may be great, they may be horrible. Donnie Avery has shown some signs that he can be very good, but you can't really tell until these guys get a shot. That shot for our WRs will be coming this year, and is something I am really looking forward to.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

[QUOTE=TekeRam;296375]We gave up nothing to get something at least. Sando said it was a good trade for both teams, yet said nothing about what the Rams gave up nor what the Lions gained in Harris. QUOTE]

hehehe that's because he went to the lions!, and if it helps guys, most players improve there next season after they are no longer a lion. People here are pissed about northcutt actually,

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

To me this is the wrong question because, though I like Curry, I was not convinced that the WRs the Rams have now couldn't find a way to get the job done.

So, to me the question is, Is Curry more valuable than Leonard? Is Curry more valuable than Harris?

My answer on both of those, excluding cap considerations, is no.
    Semper Fi!