AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Why did the Rams (Shaw) Bother Bringing Martz Back in 2005?

If you look at the Mike Martz situation at face value, you see a coach who had a high winning percentage, who lead his team to the playoffs in 2004 (albeit with an 8-8 record), made it to the second round, and started this year supposedly with the confidence of the front office.

Since then, he's coached a total of five games (going 2-3) with what was later revealed to be a serious medical condition.

It isn't logical that the performance of the team in those five games alone tranformed him from a coach in good standing to one who was fired. Indeed, if a 2-3 record was enough for that tranformation - if he was that close to being fired when the season started - you have to ask: why was he brought back at all?

Obviously, there's got to be more to the story.

I don't think that the team's performance under Martz's stand-in, Joe Vitt, is a fair explanation either.

My thought is that Shaw wanted to fire Martz at the end of 2004, but feared how it would be spun after the Rams fought their way into the playoffs and won at Seattle in the Wild Card game.

So, in essence, 2005 became a do or die season. If the Rams won their division and made a decent showing in the playoffs, Shaw would have had no choice but to keep Martz. Anything less would give him an excuse to make a change.

Why did Shaw become Anti-Martz? Who knows. Perhaps it was the way the media portrayed Martz and the resulting impact on the team's image. Perhaps the frustration of losing the Super Bowl in 2001 never wore off.

How the Rams will fare in the Post-Martz era remains to be seen. But if 2005 was a "Lost Season," perhaps the reason was that Shaw lacked the courage to act upon his apparent desire to move in another direction and, instead, created a virtual no-win situation for Martz and the Rams.

ramstiles is offline Registered User

Re: Why did the Rams (Shaw) Bother Bringing Martz Back in 2005?

AV I think you are right they wanted to get rid of martz last year at least but as long as he kept getting into the playoffs they couldn't do it this season has been the perfect excuse even though martz had little to do with the outcome because of his illness

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    If you look at the Mike Martz situation at face value, you see a coach who had a high winning percentage, who lead his team to the playoffs in 2004 (albeit with an 8-8 record), made it to the second round, and started this year supposedly with the confidence of the front office.

Since then, he's coached a total of five games (going 2-3) with what was later revealed to be a serious medical condition.

It isn't logical that the performance of the team in those five games alone tranformed him from a coach in good standing to one who was fired. Indeed, if a 2-3 record was enough for that tranformation - if he was that close to being fired when the season started - you have to ask: why was he brought back at all?

Obviously, there's got to be more to the story.

I don't think that the team's performance under Martz's stand-in, Joe Vitt, is a fair explanation either.

My thought is that Shaw wanted to fire Martz at the end of 2004, but feared how it would be spun after the Rams fought their way into the playoffs and won at Seattle in the Wild Card game.

So, in essence, 2005 became a do or die season. If the Rams won their division and made a decent showing in the playoffs, Shaw would have had no choice but to keep Martz. Anything less would give him an excuse to make a change.

Why did Shaw become Anti-Martz? Who knows. Perhaps it was the way the media portrayed Martz and the resulting impact on the team's image. Perhaps the frustration of losing the Super Bowl in 2001 never wore off.

How the Rams will fare in the Post-Martz era remains to be seen. But if 2005 was a "Lost Season," perhaps the reason was that Shaw lacked the courage to act upon his apparent desire to move in another direction and, instead, created a virtual no-win situation for Martz and the Rams.
    You hit it on the nail my friend ... I dont think many got over the lose in the S.B. Shaw included , I believe that Martz is one of or could be the best O.C. in the NLF , With that said I honestly feel he is not made out to be a H.C. in the NFL ... After D.V. left and other players left things started to go down hill then in my mind I truly exspected this too happen back then ... And Iam not saying thats its all Martz problem its Shaws too , Shaw did not want Martz to be H.C. he wanted to bring someone else in ... They butted heads from the start its too bad things worked out the way they did ... I believe Shaw lacks the courage you talk about and also found himself in situation that lead him to have a lack of direction as well ... I still believe that we are O.K. we still have a wealth of players in the pond and some possible great rookies who knows with the right H.C. its all good ...

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Good analysis Av. I think that you are onto something that many of us have had at the back of our minds. This season was just an excuse...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The flip side of this, and a possible salvation, is that Shaw's ego is going to give him the strong desire to really improve the team this year to prove that he made the right decision. Look for the Rams to open up the vault and pay some money to some free agents this offseason.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Good post Av!!

I would agree that it seems there is more to the story.

To me, it seems Shaw is catering to thoughts beyond winning percentage and playoff appearances.

I really don't see the flip side when considering the given speculations as to Shaw's recent actions.

The strong ego type would not pander to what the media thinks in general.

The strong ego type has confidence in his thoughts as to the direction he wants to lead, and generally does not heed fear of how those thoughts and corresponding actions will be spun.

And what of next season's head coach?

How liberal will he be if that coach does not have a winning season or fails to make the playoffs?

Will he give the individual time or fire him as well?

Certainly if this were a do or die season then it seems he feels that the Rams have the personnel to win and make a playoff run next season.

He has stated that Vitt did an admirable job in filling in, but he is not a candidate for the position. That seems to contradict his expectations of what Martz did in 5 games.

To me, his entire line of thinking appears as a contradiction.

It is leadership run amuck.