Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Why did we Draft Tavon Austin?

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Why did we Draft Tavon Austin?

I really have to wonder what our thinking is on this one. If we drafted him primarily as a kick/punt returner, then it was a wasted pick. With the de-emphasis on the kicking game (virtually NO kick returns) and good punters being able to kick directionally, there is limited use for a guy of Austin's skill set.

If, however, we drafted him primarily to be an offensive playmaker, I'm still waiting. He is a non-factor in most games, and in the rough and physical NFC West, the norm will be more games like you saw last night rather than electrifying returns and dazzling moves.

Why is he not more involved? Has he not picked up the offense quickly enough or are they simply not designing enough plays for him? On a team in desperate need of playmakers (an old story), not using Austin is the equivalent of buying a Ferrari then leaving it in the garage.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Re: Why did we Draft Tavon Austin?

We drafted him for an offense we aren't able to run yet. We tried the spread thing and it didn't do so hot for whatever reasons. With the whole power run thing going on he's not going to see the field as much. When Sam gets back next year and we've bolstered the line some maybe we'll get back to opening the offense up.
    ManofGod likes this.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    On a team in desperate need of playmakers (an old story), not using Austin is the equivalent of buying a Ferrari then leaving it in the garage.
    Which alot of people do to avoid it breaking.....

But I agree, until know he has not been working out for us. But one also have to consider that it often takes a few years for a WR to make the move to the NFL level. So I think it is way to early to discuss if we should have drafted somebody else or not.

rams8821 is offline Registered User

I wanted Nuk Hopkins.

We better not pass on Sammy Watkins this year.
    Rams Fan For Life:clanram: :clanram:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

There was a little bit of discussion on this last night. I believe it was Gruden. He said he spoke with Austin, who told him the idea of a huddle offense is a little confusing for him. He said he was used to a no-huddle (I didn't watch UWV, you'll have to confirm with Nick.), and "in the huddle it all sounds like Spanish".

If Gruden is right or not, I don't know. But if true, it's not real inspiring that our new toy doesn't understand the calls.
    mde8352gorams and ManofGod like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    There was a little bit of discussion on this last night. I believe it was Gruden. He said he spoke with Austin, who told him the idea of a huddle offense is a little confusing for him. He said he was used to a no-huddle (I didn't watch UWV, you'll have to confirm with Nick.), and "in the huddle it all sounds like Spanish".

If Gruden is right or not, I don't know. But if true, it's not real inspiring that our new toy doesn't understand the calls.
    No, it isn't inspiring. It's another example of management/coaches being "impressed" with a guy and failing to see the bigger picture of whether or not he can grasp the complexities of your offense and assimilate into what you wish to do. Austin isn't a BAD player, but is he right for the Rams?
    DE_Ramfan likes this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

No, it isn't inspiring. It's another example of management/coaches being "impressed" with a guy and failing to see the bigger picture of whether or not he can grasp the complexities of your offense and assimilate into what you wish to do. Austin isn't a BAD player, but is he right for the Rams?

It's been 8 games at a position widely known to take years to grasp. Let's not rush to any conclusions.
    ManofGod and hawaiianpunch like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Austin has the potential to be an NFL star, but he's very unconventional.

If he had been selected by a team with an established No. 1 WR and a consistent running game, he would probably have several big plays already in situations in which the opposing defense was keying on someone else.

In the Rams' offense, which does not have a go-to guy (yet), it seems that opposing defenses have been able to easily sniff out the plays designed for him. That's not surprising, given that he's not an "every down player" at this point.

I'd compare him to Az Hakim. Hakim, like Austin, was not a traditional #1 WR. As a result, in his rookie year, when the Rams didn't have Faulk or Holt, and Bruce played only 5 games, he was ineffecive (20 receptions, 2 TDs). When he had other players taking attention away from him, he could run free (36 receptions, 18.8 yards/catch, 8 TDs).

So, to coin a term, I think Austin has the potential to be an "elite complementary receiver." Is that worth the 8th pick in the draft? Maybe, maybe not. With today's rookie "prices," I think it could be.

As a side note, just yesterday I argued against the Rams taking a WR in Round 1 of the 2014 draft. I suppose I may have just provided a counterargument to that assertion.

richtree is offline Registered User

Also....wondering why we passed on keenan allen......hmm....
    mde8352gorams and ManofGod like this.

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Also....wondering why we passed on keenan allen......hmm....
    The "we could have had" game is pointless, though.

I spent a good portion of the offseason talking up Terrance Williams, who is off to a great start with the Cowboys, but... he's doing it on a team with Dez Bryant playing on the other side. Would he be having the same success if he were on the Rams? Who knows?

I think its safe to say that we're all disappointed that Austin has not made a bigger splash. However, to draw any conclusion from 8 games (particulary in the case of a WR) is misguided, at best.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    It's been 8 games at a position widely known to take years to grasp. Let's not rush to any conclusions.
    run X yards look for ball , catch.
    Why is it that people say playing the game of football is supposed to be so cerebral? Nothing changes from day 1. You either can play or you cant.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I don't think we utilize him well enough. Two specific plays come to mind from MNF: the quick bubble screen to Tavon, who subsequently gets murdered on the play immediately--because it's unbelievably obvious.

Then, another play: KC hits him perfectly, wide open, it looked like he was running a post to the sideline, but just the sheer speed on his cut to the outside, getting so open like that...we don't see enough of it. Plain and simple. I can't wait to see him shine. He will.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    run X yards look for ball , catch.
    Why is it that people say playing the game of football is supposed to be so cerebral? Nothing changes from day 1. You either can play or you cant.
    Really? Then why did Isaac Bruce do virtually nothing in his rookie year?

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I didn't hear that last night, but if it's true, it's disturbing, and it doesn't make much sense to me. Huddle or no-huddle, a play is a play, regardless of how it is called. I'm having a hard time understanding why it's confusing to get a play call in the huddle, but not when a QB is screaming it across the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    the quick bubble screen to Tavon, who subsequently gets murdered on the play immediately--because it's unbelievably obvious.
    That play failed because Givens completely whiffed on his block. So far this year, I'm not impressed with the blocking execution of our receivers.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -10-29-2013 at 12:11 PM.
    UK Ramfan 83 likes this.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

I really have to wonder what our thinking is on this one. If we drafted him primarily as a kick/punt returner, then it was a wasted pick. With the de-emphasis on the kicking game (virtually NO kick returns) and good punters being able to kick directionally, there is limited use for a guy of Austin's skill set.
    If, however, we drafted him primarily to be an offensive playmaker, I'm still waiting. He is a non-factor in most games, and in the rough and physical NFC West, the norm will be more games like you saw last night rather than electrifying returns and dazzling moves.
    Why is he not more involved? Has he not picked up the offense quickly enough or are they simply not designing enough plays for him? On a team in desperate need of playmakers (an old story), not using Austin is the equivalent of buying a Ferrari then leaving it in the garage.
    Tavon Austin is 5'8" tall and 175 pounds (I believe that's his weight). How many premier WRs are there in the NFL who are only a bit taller than an 8th grader. And, it's been said that T.A. has a difficult time with the offensive sets (I believe he said it's like their speaking another language in the huddle). Translation: I don't have the stick figure drawings any more. All in all, to take a WR with his size and skills seems to have been less than a stellar move on the part of the coaching staff. From all accounts he's a nice young man, but this isn't a beauty contest it's the NFL. Anyone watch Megatron and Dez (cry baby) Bryant on Sunday.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast