Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Why did we Draft Tavon Austin?

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Why did we Draft Tavon Austin?

All of the above arguments make sense but, still, I'm not impressed with Austin in himself, to be honest. All the disadvantages of his size are readily apparent & there have been few signs that he has any elusiveness to work in close quarters as a slot WR. He has acceleration, that's about it.
    He's overburdened, it's very early, and the team has underwhelmed around him but it's really hard to see much to justify his cost at this stage of The Rams rebuild. He looks to be, at best, an exciting gadget player who could develop into an impact player on a team that has the meat n' potatoes core working to give him room, not a foundation piece.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

For all the disappointment, Austin is still 2nd among rookies with 31 receptions, and his numbers would look a lot better if his 50 yard TD against the Panthers and punt return for a TD against Dallas had not been called back.

Give the kid time. What he does have, you can't teach.
    RealRam, viper and Fortuninerhater like this.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    There was a little bit of discussion on this last night. I believe it was Gruden. He said he spoke with Austin, who told him the idea of a huddle offense is a little confusing for him. He said he was used to a no-huddle (I didn't watch UWV, you'll have to confirm with Nick.), and "in the huddle it all sounds like Spanish".

If Gruden is right or not, I don't know. But if true, it's not real inspiring that our new toy doesn't understand the calls.
    Or we could stop running a huddle and try to speed up the offense. If you can function better in a no-huddle, that doesn't mean you're Gilyard 2.0. Quite the contrary in fact.

The way college ball is going, the huddle is falling out of favor, especially among the more offensively-minded teams. Maybe we should adapt to the future.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rams8821 View Post
    I wanted Nuk Hopkins.

We better not pass on Sammy Watkins this year.
    you need to quit with the "I told you so" about DeAndre Hopkins - LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Trevor is offline Registered User

I don't think the, "we could of had this player" is valid at all. Many teams could have had any player but you don't know the true ability of a player in the NFL based on videos and the combine... Mardy Gilyard and Brian Quick are both bigger than Austin and they have difficulty with the playbook.. Especially Gilyard. So I don't think size is a factor. I think it entirely falls on Austins inability to grasp the playbook.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I don't think the, "we could of had this player" is valid at all. Many teams could have had any player but you don't know the true ability of a player in the NFL based on videos and the combine... Mardy Gilyard and Brian Quick are both bigger than Austin and they have difficulty with the playbook.. Especially Gilyard. So I don't think size is a factor. I think it entirely falls on Austins inability to grasp the playbook.
    Or the coaching staff failing to simplify his role within the offense. I think Austin was used to his short area quickness being enough to win most match-ups like it was sandlot ball. I'm just not seeing that his athleticism(aka explosive acceleration) is so superior to that of NFL caliber defenders that he'd be anymore successful winging it in a no-huddle at this early stage.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Or the coaching staff failing to simplify his role within the offense. I think Austin was used to his short area quickness being enough to win most match-ups like it was sandlot ball. I'm just not seeing that his athleticism(aka explosive acceleration) is so superior to that of NFL caliber defenders that he'd be anymore successful winging it in a no-huddle at this early stage.
    With holes in our O line (read the many posts about drafting a guard or tackle) Safety weakness, CB question mark (Cortland??) I think Tavon was a draft pick we were not ready for. While his numbers do look good for a rookie, we did use a top 10 pick for him. Perhaps we just got him too soon and are just not ready to use him and vice versa....he is not ready. ??

rams8821 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    you need to quit with the "I told you so" about DeAndre Hopkins - LOLOLOLOLOLOL
    What can I say...Im a Clemson and Rams homer.

But I really did want Hopkins in front of Austin. Im hoping Austin comes into his own...but no way should we pass on Sammy Watkins.
    Rams Fan For Life:clanram: :clanram:

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    That play failed because Givens completely whiffed on his block. So far this year, I'm not impressed with the blocking execution of our receivers.
    True, but how many times have we run similar plays with him? Obviously Seattle saw the tape. There's usually a good chance we'll run that type of play with him. I'm surprised we haven't faked the ball to the RB and handed it to Tavon laterally more often. I'd rather try those than the quick screens that get blasted 90% of the time. Those types of plays, to me, are situational, and although it would have been a positive gain had Givens blocked, it's still not my favorite play to run so consistently. Regardless, like you said, blocking is an issue...and so is catching the ball still. Quite frankly, awareness--mainly by the receivers--has been scary. Last play of the game, it would've been nice to have a chance instead of Quick not even looking. Miscommunication is killing us week in and week out.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    run X yards look for ball , catch.
    Why is it that people say playing the game of football is supposed to be so cerebral? Nothing changes from day 1. You either can play or you cant.
    Come on, that's an incredibly short-sighted and misinformed view. If it were that easy then every single receiver would be successful, from their ability to run a certain amount of yards and catch the ball.

You know there's much more to it than that, so I'll just leave it alone.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

People sure do seem to get satisfaction in making broad proclamations about a player.

I'd love it if people would provide the board with spread offense WRs who produced more than 65 catches in their first season. Austin is on pace for 62, I'd say 65 is going to be in the ballpark this year even with Clemens.

Michael Crabtree = 3rd season to achieve 65 catches
    Dez Bryant = 3rd season
    Jeremy Maclin - 2nd and 4th seasons so far.
    Justin Blackmon - not yet - remember when he was a can't miss WR?
    Kendall Wright - probably in his 2nd season and the most comparable to Austin
    Percy Harvin - took 2 seasons which is again very comparable to Austin
    Donnie Avery - still hasn't
    Malcolm Kelly - still hasn't
    Mark Clayton - 2nd year and then never again
    Matt Jones - 4th year
    Chad Jackson - never did
    Roy Williams might have been the spread - year 3
    RaShaun Woods - never

Those are guys in the last 10 years that were drafted highly and who were spread offense WRs.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -10-29-2013 at 02:35 PM.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by shower beers View Post
    You know there's much more to it than that, so I'll just leave it alone.
    People have always acted as if it were easy and why can't a WR just learn 10 plays and run just those? They did it with Terrance Wilkins.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I really have to wonder what our thinking is on this one. If we drafted him primarily as a kick/punt returner, then it was a wasted pick. With the de-emphasis on the kicking game (virtually NO kick returns) and good punters being able to kick directionally, there is limited use for a guy of Austin's skill set.

If, however, we drafted him primarily to be an offensive playmaker, I'm still waiting. He is a non-factor in most games, and in the rough and physical NFC West, the norm will be more games like you saw last night rather than electrifying returns and dazzling moves.
    Well first off we did trade up to draft him. He’s ours, and we need to get the best we possibly can out of him. Why did we draft him? There was plenty of talk about how Seattle and the whiners had these big, tall, strong dbs, against whom the cat quick lightening bug Tavon would create mismatches. Sure sounded reasonable to me at the time. Heck it sounded great!

In my particular case as a fan, I without a doubt became besotted with Tavon’s highlight reels, and imagined him running wildly through opposing defenses, leaving frustrated and humiliated defenders strewn across the field in his wake. Perhaps our coaching staff and GM succumbed to a bit of that as well.

Leading up to the draft, I wanted us to take an O-lineman in round one, and another in round two. When the Rams traded up to get Tavon, I was astonished. This is not an “I told you so” comment at all. My astonishment was that Fish and Snead would dramatically trade up to grab an offensive player. I loved it!

A up to date reality check would reveal that that our roster is currently devoid of Larry Fitzgeralds, Anquan Boldins, Roddy Whites, Tony Gonzalezs, Megatrons, etc. Add to that the enormous complexity of learning the many nuances of not only an NFL offense and the verbiage associated with it, but at the same time developing the considerable skills required to accurately read opposing defensive alignments on the fly, consistently identifying who is the hot read etc. etc. In addition to the aforementioned, it is worthy of noting that although our O-line is not consistently a turnstile on every play, it does have moments of “whiffiness.”

In light of the aforesaid, I believe it is too soon to pass judgment on Tavon Austin. I believe the light will go on for him eventually, but until he is surrounded by other consistently good skill players along with better O-line play, he is going to be slow to develop. It is true that some of those players actually may be on our roster right now, but for the most part they are in the same boat as Tavon Austin. Wasn’t it mentioned last night that of our 53 man roster, 26 players have only one or two years of experience? To be sure, we are a youthful team ..

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Why is he not more involved? Has he not picked up the offense quickly enough or are they simply not designing enough plays for him? On a team in desperate need of playmakers (an old story), not using Austin is the equivalent of buying a Ferrari then leaving it in the garage.
    Well it is one thing to have a Ferrari in the garage, but another entirely to turn it over to a kid who is about to take his driving test to obtain his drivers license. I believe the kid will eventually earn his license, and when he does, the Ferrari will emerge from the garage.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This may seem silly but that end around last night by Givens (which was a nice play) blew my mind. I had to do a double take to identify the ball carriers number. I was shocked that the play wasn't called for Austin. The play caught the Seahawks by surprise. Which makes me wonder if the opposing defenses are keying on Austin when he's on the field. If so, that would explain why he's not getting the touches we want to see him get. I've said it before and I'll say it again...Shotty needs to find the GLEAM and the GLEAM is how to get our playmaker the opportunities to make plays. Not these drop back 2 steps and whip the ball to him so he can get creamed. Give the kid a chance in some open space. As we all know the more touches Austin gets the more there's a chance he will take one or two etc.... to the house.
    RealRam, viper and Haste like this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

They did it right by motioning Austin in closer to a bunch to draw Sherman into off-zone coverage, allowing Austin to get open in some space. I think right now it's a combination of not getting the coverages/play calls necessary to get him in space, his drops and other mistakes, and adjusting to an NFL playbook. Add to that the he's not an every down player and defenses pay attention when he comes in and it's a recipe for a slow start.

The NFL is a much different beast with pro level defenders every week. He's going to need to polish his route running and CATCH THE DAMN BALL to be successful.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast