Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Why did we Draft Tavon Austin?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Why did we Draft Tavon Austin?

Quote Originally Posted by shower
    The NFL is a much different beast with pro level defenders every week.
    I think it was Chris Givens who (while discussing Austin) said, "The NFL will humble a WR."

in college, Austin faced 1 or 2, maybe 3 NFL-caliber defenders each week.
    Now, he sees 11 each week. It makes a difference.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I had the same thoughts on drafting Austin after hearing those Gruden remarks last night. I further thought if this player was a gamble due to schemes then why did we compound that decision by drafting Stedman Bailey. Bottom line is they are both here and we need to either work them into our offense soon or trade them to teams where their offensive schemes are better suited. Personally, I hope we can integrate them both soon because they can be difference makers, we just need patience.

I still believe we can utilize their skills as speed is a lethal weapon in the NFL. Putting rookies in motion is always dangerous because if not done right can lead to penalties (perish the thought). I agree with what has been said in previous posts that getting Austin in space is the best use of his skills, but what needs to be said in that vein is that getting 1 player in space affects the other WR's, TE's and RB's and defenses may take that option away with scheme or personnel.

Bottom line, I think this thread is a good exercise for us fans to think about our team's direction and the people who will steer things going forward. Thanks NJ RamsFan1.

Go Rams!
    RealRam and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    True, but how many times have we run similar plays with him? Obviously Seattle saw the tape. There's usually a good chance we'll run that type of play with him. I'm surprised we haven't faked the ball to the RB and handed it to Tavon laterally more often. I'd rather try those than the quick screens that get blasted 90% of the time. Those types of plays, to me, are situational, and although it would have been a positive gain had Givens blocked, it's still not my favorite play to run so consistently. Regardless, like you said, blocking is an issue...and so is catching the ball still. Quite frankly, awareness--mainly by the receivers--has been scary. Last play of the game, it would've been nice to have a chance instead of Quick not even looking. Miscommunication is killing us week in and week out.
    I agree that the quick screens to Austin never seems to work, but he didn't have a chance on the one last night without any blocking, something that he never seems to have.

And why hasn't he been utilized in the backfield more? Fisher had all these big plans before the season, and talked about doing it a few games ago, but it appears to have been scrapped. Too bad, because I think it's a way to get him involved.

The bottom line is that we are going to have to suffer through growing pains with all these young receivers, who often can't seem to do anything right. Dropping passes, missing blocks, running the wrong routes, and not picking up hot reads, is maddening.

That said, I'm still really high on Austin. He's shown what he can do in the right situation, and I think he'll get the offense figured out. He's got to be frustrated though with all his big plays being wiped out by stupid penalties, and I hope he can keep his confidence level up.
    Varg6 likes this.

thoey is offline Registered User

Some stat geek would need to verify, but I seem to remember two or three plays where they sent TA on a fly pattern that turned out really good (except when penalties brought it back). I remember one ended up with a PI call on the defense. Another was brought back by Long's tripping call. I think there was a third that was successful.

Might be too crowded in the 5 - 10 yard range. Let him use his speed to find "greener pastures"...
    This space for rent...

Mikey is offline Registered User

He will be a play maker in the NFL soon. Sooner if we had an OC who was capable of exploiting him. Shotty doesn't seem to have it in him to properly utilize Austins skill set.

citr92 is offline Registered User

schottenheimer hasn't done him a whole lot of justice

but man, the chances he HAS had have all been called back and aren't on schotty

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Why is he not more involved? Has he not picked up the offense quickly enough or are they simply not designing enough plays for him?
    Seems like a combination of both.

I'm sure Austin is having difficulty making the transition from college WR to pro WR, as many players at that position do. But of the Rams games I've been able to watch this year, I've yet to see one where I said to myself, "Wow, what a creative way to get Tavon Austin the ball in space!"

It's almost as if this coaching staff thinks they can just send Austin on a three yard drag route and he'll magically get open and take it 30+ yards. It's not going to work like that. The big argument about Austin as a prospect was that you'd have to be creative about how you use him in order to maximize his ability. I'd be hard pressed to say the Rams have done that.

The most confusing thing for me so far this season is that the Rams spent big free agent money on a hybrid tight end/receiver, then traded up to take a spread offense slot weapon, but still seem to prefer running a power-based running offense that doesn't adequately feature either of these weapons. Maybe that'll change next year, but it seems like all the creativity and versatility we heard about this offseason has gone out the window and we're back to predictable old Fisher/Schotty ball.

If these coaches can't improve the team's personnel to the point where they can get away from the power running game and effectively utilize spread concepts, then I fear both of these acquisitions will ultimately be failures.

Quote Originally Posted by rams8821 View Post
    I wanted Nuk Hopkins.
    How do you think Nuk Hopkins does as a rookie when he isn't playing across from Andre Johnson on a team with a Top 10 rushing offense?

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I didn't hear that last night, but if it's true, it's disturbing, and it doesn't make much sense to me. Huddle or no-huddle, a play is a play, regardless of how it is called. I'm having a hard time understanding why it's confusing to get a play call in the huddle, but not when a QB is screaming it across the field.
    In college, many players get their playcalls or responsibilities from coaches or other personnel on the sidelines. Those aren't screamed but are signaled to them somehow. That's entirely different from having the playcall given to them verbally in the huddle as a serious of words and numbers. It shouldn't be underestimated, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    I had the same thoughts on drafting Austin after hearing those Gruden remarks last night. I further thought if this player was a gamble due to schemes then why did we compound that decision by drafting Stedman Bailey.
    Likely in no small part because they dazzled this coaching staff in a private workout that incorporated pro concepts directly related to this offensive scheme. It's also worth pointing out that Stedman Bailey's presence is one reason why defenses couldn't just focus on shutting down Austin in college; Bailey finished the 2012 college football season leading the nation in touchdowns and ranking third in yards.
    MauiRam likes this.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Seems like a combination of both.

I'm sure Austin is having difficulty making the transition from college WR to pro WR, as many players at that position do. But of the Rams games I've been able to watch this year, I've yet to see one where I said to myself, "Wow, what a creative way to get Tavon Austin the ball in space!"

It's almost as if this coaching staff thinks they can just send Austin on a three yard drag route and he'll magically get open and take it 30+ yards. It's not going to work like that. The big argument about Austin as a prospect was that you'd have to be creative about how you use him in order to maximize his ability. I'd be hard pressed to say the Rams have done that.

The most confusing thing for me so far this season is that the Rams spent big free agent money on a hybrid tight end/receiver, then traded up to take a spread offense slot weapon, but still seem to prefer running a power-based running offense that doesn't adequately feature either of these weapons. Maybe that'll change next year, but it seems like all the creativity and versatility we heard about this offseason has gone out the window and we're back to predictable old Fisher/Schotty ball.

If these coaches can't improve the team's personnel to the point where they can get away from the power running game and effectively utilize spread concepts, then I fear both of these acquisitions will ultimately be failures.

How do you think Nuk Hopkins does as a rookie when he isn't playing across from Andre Johnson on a team with a Top 10 rushing offense?

In college, many players get their playcalls or responsibilities from coaches or other personnel on the sidelines. Those aren't screamed but are signaled to them somehow. That's entirely different from having the playcall given to them verbally in the huddle as a serious of words and numbers. It shouldn't be underestimated, IMO.

Likely in no small part because they dazzled this coaching staff in a private workout that incorporated pro concepts directly related to this offensive scheme. It's also worth pointing out that Stedman Bailey's presence is one reason why defenses couldn't just focus on shutting down Austin in college; Bailey finished the 2012 college football season leading the nation in touchdowns and ranking third in yards.
    Bailey led nation yet can't step on field for us.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    while i think he just needs time to develop

ya gotta look at who WV played...no one with a great defense lol

Did he have to deal with plays changed at the line? Was everything done with pictures on a poster? Learning plays, and comprehending them verbally is not rocket science. If Austin can't grasp the basics, that's a problem for everyone concerned.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Citr92 View Post
    Schottenheimer hasn't done him a whole lot of justice.

But man, the chances he HAS had have all been called back and aren't on Schotty.
    True, that's true! Those plays by TA sans penalties would have us tone down this discussion a bit. As some have already mentioned here, Austin will develop and perform with each game's experience. I believe in his potential -- it's just the timing is not all in his favor right now. But it will.

As for developing while being in the huddle ...

...and "in the huddle it all sounds like Spanish"
    Well hey, I can help! Will soon contact the Rams to offer my interpreting / translation services.

For now, as it's been said, with each game both TA and the Rams offense are getting it together. Hopefully by next year little Tavon Austin will grow ... and ... become ... the ... Giant Mouse of Minsk!

"Release the Secret Weaponnnnn!"

Video: metacafe.com/watch/an-Qp0U2nmm2hbJmm/an_american_tail_1986_releasing_the_secret_weapon/
    Last edited by RealRam; -10-30-2013 at 01:37 AM. Reason: Metacafe video
    Nick likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Tavon Austin was, and still is the best playmaker in last year's draft. That's why we drafted him.

How you use him after that is purely a coaching staff issue.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    At a position where it's traditionally difficult to transition to the NFL, yes. Though I agree, I'd like to see him on the field with the offense more. Still, when you've changed the philosophy towards a power running emphasis, it's going to be tough to get your fifth WR on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Learning plays, and comprehending them verbally is not rocket science.
    It's not, but it's certainly not as easy as you're making it out to be. There's a reason why many/most skill position prospects who come from spread offenses have that listed as a concern in regards to their transition to the next level. Heck, it was even brought up when Bradford came out, and he's widely regarded as being a very intelligent individual.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick

There's a lot being said here. And I think it hits on the problem. You've got guys who have been wearing suits and using a double windsor knot on their ties for decades now. Then, they start looking around and some of their colleagues have started wearing bow-ties, and the ladies are loving it. So, they go out and get a couple of bow-ties. But they're very difficult to tie, and they just can't seem to get it right. So, they go back to their double windsors. They're comfortable, and they tie a pretty sweet double windsor.

But now what the flip do they do with these bow-ties they have lying around?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

It's not, but it's certainly not as easy as you're making it out to be. There's a reason why many/most skill position prospects who come from spread offenses have that listed as a concern in regards to their transition to the next level. Heck, it was even brought up when Bradford came out, and he's widely regarded as being a very intelligent individual.
    I would say the main transition issues have to do with the subtleties like route running, adjusting to the speed of the NFL, getting in sync with your QB, and executing the offense.. Learning to understand the verbiage should be grasped by the preseason. Austin participated in player organized workouts, training camp, the preseason, and is now half way into his rookie season. Offensive language should be automatic at this point IMO.

All that said, I still believe in Austin, I still like the pick, and still have little doubt that once he gets everything, he'll be a difference maker. My biggest worry with him is his confidence level, which has got to be reaching it's breaking point with all his bad luck.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast