throwback week

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Why did we Draft Tavon Austin?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Why did we Draft Tavon Austin?

I get the frustration on the fans part with the lack of use and production of Austin but it's way too early IMO to question the pick. Especially when you factor all the plays he has made that his teammates took away from him.

I think Tavon can just line up in the slot and make big plays, I don't think he needs trick plays or special plays to be successful. That said he has shown he can make plays down field but has had very few balls thrown his way to do so. In game one he had a 40 yard pass interference call when he ran a deep route. A few weeks back he had a 15 yard catch and added 10 YAC for a 25 yard catch and run. He had the 65 TD long ball where he ran a double move and was five year clear of the DB on that play...called back. The issue I have is they use him underneath too much and don't use him down the field enough. Line him up outside when in the 12 and take a few shot with him further down the field off of play action from time to time. It would not be asking too much to hand him the ball on an end-around from time to time, instead of using him as a decoy.

punahou is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Really? Then why did Isaac Bruce do virtually nothing in his rookie year?
    I think Bruce only played in 12 games his first year? He did however average 13 yards a touch and had 3 TDs. In year 2 he blossomed, and in Austins regard- only time will tell; but it seems as if we are always on the long side of developing a player (if at all).

Also, we didnt move up a few 1st round round spots and lose a 2nd round pick to obtain Bruce, or Holt for that matter.

The fact that we lost a valuable 2nd round pick to leap frog a few teams to get player should transalte into that player being amazing enough such that he can step in right a way can make an impact.

Certainly Snead and Fischer werent thinking to themselves ---

"...Ok lets trade our 2nd round pick to take a guy that probably will not contribute this year or maybe the next, because we know that the NFL WR position is very difficult to learn, but this guy is going to just Explode on the scene in 2016! Let's do it! <high fives and hugs and of course, butt slapps>

----- or were they?
    Last edited by punahou; -10-30-2013 at 02:32 PM.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

okay after todays game, why did we draft him????????
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    okay after todays game, why did we draft him????????
    I want to see at least 8 games out of 16 likes today's and then we can talk.

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    I want to see at least 8 games out of 16 likes today's and then we can talk.
    So you want Tavon to have 2464 yards in 8 games and add another 24 TDs and YOU will be satisfied? OK good luck with that.
    HUbison, MauiRam, viper and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    So you want Tavon to have 2464 yards in 8 games and add another 24 TDs and YOU will be satisfied? OK good luck with that.
    No - it's called 8 or more productive games - stats don't have to be as good as today and they won't as Colts defensive scheme today will not happen against Austin in the future. Austin was allowed to run wild today. That won't happen every week, but Austin can't be completely quiet like he has been just about every week this season. I will take on average 140 yards and 1 TD every other week.

emuen is offline Registered User

Well I would be satisfied as well

Mikey is offline Registered User

It was nice to see Shotty use him as something other than a gimmick for a change. It was even nicer to see him make those catches after his early drop. And Coach Fassel won't have to make the coverage team run for days and days since they didn't commit stupid penalties costing Tavon his return TD.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    Okay, after today's game, why did we draft him????????
    Yes, hmmm, why DID we draft him???

========================================================

As some have already mentioned here, Austin will develop and perform with each game's experience. I believe in his potential -- it's just the timing is not all in his favor right now. But it will.

For now, as it's been said, with each game both TA and the Rams offense are getting it together. Hopefully by next year little Tavon Austin will grow ... and ... become ... the ... Giant Mouse of Minsk!

"Release ... the ... Secret Weaponnnnn!"

Video: metacafe.com/watch/an-Qp0U2nmm2hbJmm/an_american_tail_1986_releasing_the_secret_weapon/

Hey, today TA made the TALL ORDER happen -- he stood taller than a 6-7" Jake Long!

Trevor likes this.

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

No - it's called 8 or more productive games - stats don't have to be as good as today and they won't as Colts defensive scheme today will not happen against Austin in the future. Austin was allowed to run wild today. That won't happen every week, but Austin can't be completely quiet like he has been just about every week this season. I will take on average 140 yards and 1 TD every other week.

The reason the Colts ran the scheme they did was because they saw Zach Stacy as the big threat on a team with young WRs and a backup QB. I would argue that if Austins presence forces the opponents D to play a little more honest, that his job will be half done. This can only happen if the threat of an Austin touch is catastrophe for the opposition. Today it was.
    hawaiianpunch likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue
    Austin was allowed to run wild today.
    Statements like this just crack me up. Nobody in the NFL is "allowed" to do anything by the opposition. As if the Colts D was planning...."let's see here, we've got Givens, Stacy and Cook all accounted for. Is there anything we're forgetting?" "Yea, coach, what about Austin?" "Oh nevermind him, we're going to allow him to run wild. Shouldn't be a problem. You guys want to go down to Waffle House? get a bite?"

The kid had a great day. Period.
    Nick, ramsbruce, LA Rammer and 6 others like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Statements like this just crack me up. Nobody in the NFL is "allowed" to do anything by the opposition. As if the Colts D was planning...."let's see here, we've got Givens, Stacy and Cook all accounted for. Is there anything we're forgetting?" "Yea, coach, what about Austin?" "Oh nevermind him, we're going to allow him to run wild. Shouldn't be a problem. You guys want to go down to Waffle House? get a bite?"

The kid had a great day. Period.
    I could have scored the TDs on the passes he caught he was so wide open. That is how pathetic that Colt defense was. If it was so easy for Austin to get open like that how come he can't doo that every week ? He earned his pay check today. I want to see more.
    Last edited by vanillasue; -11-10-2013 at 08:41 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I could have scored the TDs on the passes he caught he was so wide open. That is how pathetic that Colt defense is.
    No. No, you couldn't.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I could have scored the TDs on the passes he caught he was so wide open. That is how pathetic that Colt defense was. If it was so easy for Austin to get open like that how come he can't doo that every week ? He earned his pay check today. I want to see more.
    Man I did not know you could run a sub 4.3. Where you play ball?
    Nick and THOLTFAN81 like this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Tavon just called. He doesn't care what you want.
    LA Rammer and hawaiianpunch like this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast