Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Why did we Draft Tavon Austin?

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Re: Why did we Draft Tavon Austin?

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue View Post
    Exactly my earlier point - He finally got open. Now let's see if he can continue to do it.
    Had nothing to do with Austin not getting open. He has no problem creating separation.

More like Jake Long tripping players and Clemens throwing a flat ball when Austin had his man beat deep is what I remember off the top of my head.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I could have scored the TDs on the passes he caught he was so wide open.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I could have scored the TDs on the passes he caught he was so wide open.
    But in all serious...didn't it cross your mind that maybe he got open because he runs a 4.3 40 yard dash?

Even Brick is laughing.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

He has been open on that deep pass at least twice before. The tripping penalty against Carolina, and in the first game of the season against the Cards where Mathieu gave up a pass interference penalty rather than let Austin catch it
    hawaiianpunch likes this.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    But in all serious...didn't it cross your mind that maybe he got open because he runs a 4.3 40 yard dash?
    That's the big problem in the NFL when you draft. Lots of guys run a 4.3-4.4 40 which is why it is so hard to star in the NFL after they starred in college. USC QB's never do well in the NFL because they have 8 seconds to throw the ball behind NFL caliber offensive lines throwing to NFL caliber RBs and WRs in college. You don't get that time in the NFL so guys like Sanchez, Leinhart, Palmer turn out to be scrubs because they cannot adjust.

I maintain that the Colts passing defense sucks and just a quick glance at their passing defense stats confirms my suspicions. And yes, I could have caught those 2 two TD passes too as he was so wide open. No defense - easy plays.

Once again - I want to see more consistent production every week. Sometime during next year he should be a super star for what we gave up to get him. Julio Jones and AJ Green type production come to mind as all 3 were drafted very early in the first round. That means starting next year, on average, at least 1200 yards / year with minimum 10 touchdowns with at least 10 targets a game and at least 6 catches should be a goal.

Until then - the jury is still out on Tavon. If he is as good as everyone thinks he is, including the Rams management, then these goals should be expected.

I maintain that the Colts passing defense sucks and just a quick glance at their passing defense stats confirms my suspicions. And yes, I could have caught those 2 two TD passes too as he was so wide open. No defense - easy plays.

You may have caught the passes if put in the same position as Tavon, but anyone could. You wouldn't be able to get yourself open in those positions to catch those passes though. You also wouldn't be able to outrrun the entire defense after catching a short slant.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    You may have caught the passes if put in the same position as Tavon, but anyone could. .
    Yes - exactly what I stated earlier - of course.

Yes - exactly what I stated earlier - of course.
    And I'm guessing you could sack Andrew Luck just like Robert Quinn, provided you were put in the same position he was miliseconds before the sack, after Quinn had already got passed the blocking?

Stone Cold Tavon Austin is offline Registered User

And yes, I could have caught those 2 two TD passes too as he was so wide open. No defense - easy plays.
    You sir are an idiot.......Let me guess, you are the best two hand touch player in your neighborhood right?.......give me a break you could of gotten that open.....Just because you win the "Turkey Bowl" each thanksgiving does not mean you can compete with players like Austin or hell even I competed with. I will say though keep the dream alive and maybe one day you will win an adult punt, pass, and kick tournament and get to stand on the field with players like Austin.

richtree is offline Registered User

Tavon's 2 big games came indoors on quick surfaces....we must commit to him in all games, because his big plays are bigger than most....

but once again, why trade up, draft the kid, and not commit to getting him looks...

even though he had 2 big catches, he was only targeting 3 times vs. Colts....

In a blowout win, WHY NOT RUN 10 PLAYS WITH HIM TO WORK ON SOME STUFF FOR THE FUTURE ?

of course not....our offense is still in limbo....right now our best offense is our Special Teams and Defensive pass rush

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

That's the big problem in the NFL when you draft. Lots of guys run a 4.3-4.4 40 which is why it is so hard to star in the NFL after they starred in college. USC QB's never do well in the NFL because they have 8 seconds to throw the ball behind NFL caliber offensive lines throwing to NFL caliber RBs and WRs in college. You don't get that time in the NFL so guys like Sanchez, Leinhart, Palmer turn out to be scrubs because they cannot adjust.
    If only NFL scouts had consulted with you first. The line play must have never crossed their mind.

Once again - I want to see more consistent production every week. Sometime during next year he should be a super star for what we gave up to get him. Julio Jones and AJ Green type production come to mind as all 3 were drafted very early in the first round. That means starting next year, on average, at least 1200 yards / year with minimum 10 touchdowns with at least 10 targets a game and at least 6 catches should be a goal.
    Julio has always had Roddy on the other side and Tony G on the line as well. Some games he didn't get his but their OFFENSE put up points. Some games AJ got his and they put up points and other games he was contained and the OFFENSE didn't put up points.

If Tavon is held in check and the Rams keep scoring, then I don't care about his personal production. Defensive coordinators have to game plan for him specifically and if they choose to take him out and allow somebody else to have their way, thats awesome, but it doesn't show up in the stat sheet, which is what it seems you want to see.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by vanillasue
    And yes, I could have caught those 2 two TD passes too as he was so wide open.
    When one digs oneself in to a hole, it's best to put down the shovel.
    Nick likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I could have...

Make many of the putts that have won the Masters...
    Made the play that Bill Buckner botched in the 1986 World Series...
    Hit a number of the shots I've seen in Wimbledon...
    Hit two free throws in a row with my team up by 2 points in the final minute...
    Made an extra point with the game tied...

And yet, there is no way I could have been a professional golfer, Major League baseball player, pro tennis player, NBA player or NFL player.

Stone Cold Tavon Austin is offline Registered User

Let me apologize to this forum for my angry ranting etc. It was my mistake....I got heated up being that I put so much time to even get to play college ball and let alone start, but was not skilled enough to make an NFL roster. People like Vanilla make me furious because they peg things to be so easy when people sacrifice themselves to try to make it to the next level. Again this was my mistake for letting him get under my skin and I should of stepped away and came back more level headed. So to this forum I apologize. (though I still stick with my words that I said before)

Quote Originally Posted by Stone Cold Tavon Austin View Post
    Let me apologize to this forum for my angry ranting etc. It was my mistake....I got heated up being that I put so much time to even get to play college ball and let alone start, but was not skilled enough to make an NFL roster. People like Vanilla make me furious because they peg things to be so easy when people sacrifice themselves to try to make it to the next level. Again this was my mistake for letting him get under my skin and I should of stepped away and came back more level headed. So to this forum I apologize. (though I still stick with my words that I said before)
    No need to apologize - this is an opinion forum - Maybe it will help you if I tell you that I will be the first to get on the wagon if Tavon performs as expected and furthermore I am rooting for him to do just that. I will not continue to be a pessimist on the matter in that event.

I to get frustrated just like you when our season gets flushed down the toilet in the first few weeks of the season because we get down 21 or 24 to zip in several games and our offense doesn't do squat to help matters.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast