Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Why do they think they have the #1 offense?

Why does every other thread from a seahawk fan say they are the #1 offense? I've seen a couple of regular posters on here explain how the seahawks are indeed not the #1 offense, but the #5 offense.

I'm begging for someone to tell me how this works. How can the seahawks with a straight face say they have the #1 offense?

I'm sure the answer will come back "we have the most yards per game, so we're #1". And I have to ask, who gives a monkey's flea dip about yardage. If yardage mattered, we'd have 2 super bowl trophies by now.

If someone has to move this to Smack, fine, but that really isn't my intention. I honestly want to know why they continue in promoting the false idea that they have the top offense in the league.

"I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: Why do they think they have the #1 offense?

It's all based on stats, and we know stats mean squat come Sunday. Remember that teams who run the wuss coast offense tend to have inflated stats.
    We both know who has the better overall offense.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

jkramsfan Guest

thats part of being a fan, you can say whatever you want because it really has no bearing on what happens on the field.

Hawkfandyno Guest

2nd, NFC West Standing 1st, NFC West
    369.6 ypg (2nd) Offense 387.3 ypg (1st)
    265.8 ypg (3rd) Passing 227.8 ypg (12th)
    103.9 ypg (19th) Rushing 159.5 ypg (3rd)
    367.8 ypg (30th) Defense 308.6 ypg (14th)
    Won 2 Streaks Won 4

because until the NFL comes up with a better rating system, that is what is used as a norm. i believe in the aikman ratings, we are #2. but what ever, it really doesnt matter when the teams get on the field. The redskins absolutely kill the niners one week, then get shut out the next. anything can happen, and in this game on sunday, anthing probably will happen.

Haterade Guest

While there are many ways to gauge an offense, the easiest and most commonly used it total-yards per game.

While this isn't the most accurate, it shows a better overall picture of an offense's production at how they are capable of moving the ball; much like a defense is rated on how well they defend teams from moving the ball.

By gaing the most yards per game, the Seahawks rank #1 in the NFL and the Rams rank #2. The real issues lies in their defensive ranks.

Seahawks:
    Total Yards #14 308.6 given up per game
    Passing Yards #16 203.1 given up per game
    Rushing Yards #12 105.5 given up per game

Rams:
    Total Yards #30 367.8 given up per game
    Passing Yards #26 240.6 given up per game
    Rushing Yards #25 127.1 given up per game

Differencials
    Total Yards (-59.2)
    Passing Yards (-37.5)
    Rushing Yards (-21.6)

RamsFan16 Guest

Yea our D is pretty bad.

rampete Guest

total yards is probably the least accurate way to gauge an offense and defense's strengths...

points, yds per play and third down efficiency are more important in my book for both offense and defense ranking...

but, you know what, number crunching is for guys like zygmunt and fantasy leaguers. all i'm concerned with is the final score of each game...

Well, we've had two seahawk fans and both have answered the same way --- we're #1 because of yardage.

If you guys want to continue in the ostrich approach, I'll make you a deal. We allow your Offense to gain the most yardage, and you allow our Offense to score the most points. Sound good, it should if yardage means a thing to your #1 yardage offense. However, we all know that you would answer NO to that deal, as you should. And why is that?

Because nothing except points matters.

It's the same with us. Don't tell me how many yards we're going to gain, tell me how many points we put up. That is the ONLY stat that matters.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

Hawkfandyno Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv
    Well, we've had two seahawk fans and both have answered the same way --- we're #1 because of yardage.
    the topic was...."why do they think they have the #1 offense" the answer is...because thats how the nfl is judging it. i never said it was accurate.

because until the NFL comes up with a better rating system, that is what is used as a norm. i believe in the aikman ratings, we are #2. but what ever, it really doesnt matter when the teams get on the field. The redskins absolutely kill the niners one week, then get shut out the next. anything can happen, and in this game on sunday, anthing probably will happen
    This was my answer. its all relative. real measure is what happens on sunday. but the answer to the origional posters question is, because of the system the NFL uses to judge.

Haterade Guest

Um...I believe I said:
    While there are many ways to gauge an offense, the easiest and most commonly used it total-yards per game.

While this isn't the most accurate, it shows a better overall picture of an offense's production
    at how they are capable of moving the ball; much like a defense is rated on how well they defend teams from moving the ball.
    If you want to look at points per game...

Seattle Ranks #5
    Points per Game: 26.8
    TD's: 26

St. Louis Ranks #6
    Points per Game: 26.0
    TD's: 25

Seattle Ranks #12
    Points given up per Game: 18.2
    TD's: 13

St. Louis Ranks #31
    Points given up per Game: 28.9
    TD's: 27

the topic was...."why do they think they have the #1 offense" the answer is...because thats how the nfl is judging it. i never said it was accurate.
    But that's the whole point. The NFL doesn't judge a team by yards. They judge an offense by points. If the NFL judged an offense by yards, we would be 2 time super bowl champions.

If you want to look at points per game...

Seattle Ranks #5
    Points per Game: 26.8
    TD's: 26
    Finally, a seahawk fan willing to own the truth. That is truly refreshing.

Haterade Guest

Finally, a seahawk fan willing to own the truth. That is truly refreshing.
    Own to the truth?

Hawkfandyno Guest

But that's the whole point. The NFL doesn't judge a team by yards. They judge an offense by points. If the NFL judged an offense by yards, we would be 2 time super bowl champions.
    the NFL doesnt judge any team during the year. they simply keep stats pertaining to each team, and for comparison, use those stats to determine the standings.

other entities use the stats to "judge" a team.

Hawkfandyno Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Haterade
    Own to the truth?
    own the truth that we still score more points than them during a game, while giving up ten less points a game? ok, i'll own that too

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast