jdpbmo Guest

Angry why do we even bother challegning calls

If I was Martz I wouldn't waste another timeout challenging a call. They almost never win a challenge and the system the NFL uses is stupid anyway. The referees will use any means necessary to make sure their butts are covered, whether it be not enough evidence to overturn a call, an inadvertant whistle, whatever. Stupid, stupid, stupid system. I haven't seen zebras this protected since that wild kingdom show on the serengeti (over in Africa) where they were on the refuge and lions or pochers weren't allowed. Did everyone see our good buddy, the Commish, in the stands today?

MsWistRAM Guest
    I wouldn't have minded so much if he had challenged one that would have meant something. The hit by Fletcher on Vick in the 4th that has Polley taking it all the way in but ruled incomplete should've been challenged. I guess we had the game by then, so no worries.

Atlas Guest
    On the contrary, Martz challenged a call during the Tampa Bay game and won. The call was a fumble on Warner during the first half. The officials gave the ball back to the Rams so they could punt.

Forget the fact that Tampa Bay ended up winning that game or all the other turn overs that lead up to that defeat...Anyone who has watched football any length of time knows that the call should have stayed a fumble. It was obvious that Warner was moving to protect the ball, not pass.

I can't even believe anyone is complaining about bad calls for the Rams! They kicked that **** out of the Falcons!! I have seen bad calls all year and most recently the dumbass who got ran over during the Saints game! The officials have more then proved me right that they are unworthy of all the money they are being paid.

My point is that the Rams are not the only ones getting the good AND bad calls. Maybe one should count their blessings that their team is as high up on the Superbowl lists as they are with 30+ turnovers. Martz has some serious issues to deal with and is down playing them way too much.
    Last edited by Atlas; -12-03-2001 at 08:00 PM.

jdpbmo Guest

calls against Rams

You're right, Rams have gotten the benefit of a few calls, but they have been on the short-end of the stick for the most part. That wasn't even what my message was really about. The point of the message, which I think was missed, is the fact that referees don't look at replay as a chance to right a wrong. They look at like it's admitting a mistake was made. Follow me? If you are going to jump on someone's message try and attack the point. If I'm wrong on making this, then sorry for the misunderstanding.

txramsfan is offline Registered User
    First of all, Mizzou has finally taken control of this game against SLU. Good thing, go Tigers.

Now, about the Rams. Sometimes, I think Martz does it to rest his players. Take it like a timeout. He calls them sometimes at the weirdest moments, and sometimes he does it for fun you would think. :shield:

9-2 Baby. Just win this game at home this week

duke Guest
    It's kind of funny running across this topic this morning, as I wrote the following on my site regarding the general topic of reviews this morning.

Did anyone beside the official actually see pass interference on Antonio Bryant last night? Looked like pretty good defense to me. I guess the determining factor was we don't have sound on the field. Rumor has it that Bryant puffed up his cheeks and blew really hard on Freeman to cause that penalty. Speaking of referees, lets do away with instant replay on the field and this challenge stuff. Basically a guy sits in the booth for a 60 minute game and his job lasts exactly 4 minutes. Might as well keep him busy for the whole game, even though I realize he will be exhausted after the game. If a play is questionable, review it in the booth. This challenge stuff is ridiculous, especially for obvious stuff.
    Let the coaches keep the 2 challenges per game they have, because most of the stuff they challenge should be reviewed automatically anyway

As far as the Rams challenges it goes both ways. I thought Martz showed class in not challenging the Polley play.

jdpbmo Guest

my point

why challenge a call when the referees don't want to reverse their call? When they look into that overpriced, ill-used piece of hardware to see a questionable call over and over until the allotted 1:30 has elapsed what do you think they are looking for? The commissioner would say anything that would prove a call needs to be reversed. No way. They are looking to find evidence to make their position stand pat. Once they find it they walk out, pound their chest, and say I'm right and the stupid coach, the stupid fans, or any other intity disputing my rule is wrong. Bow before the king of the gridiron...I am zebra, here me roar. If nothing stands out to prove they were right, they step out and give the ol' "not enough evidence to over-rule the call on the field" passage. Shame, isn't it. We've just wasted 1:30 on something we know isn't getting reversed.