Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Why do we need another back??

I am really unclear why we need to waste a pick in picking someone else's garbage?? Why is everyone so hip on the idea of giving up a 3rd or 4th on a back that might not even see the field. Fisher has proved he can play in this league. Do we not remember how he carved us up when we played Green Bay. He is a fine number 2 back. As far a third option, we have lots of potential already on this team. Is that not the point of the third spot?

I guess I look at this team and would rather see Russell, Washington or Bagwell at this point, rather than waste a opportunity next year. What is the reason we picked up Fisher if we want someone like Brown or Bennett.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Why do we need another back??

great point and very true,maybe we should give these guys the shot.

JackieSlater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    I am really unclear why we need to waste a pick in picking someone else's garbage?? Why is everyone so hip on the idea of giving up a 3rd or 4th on a back that might not even see the field. Fisher has proved he can play in this league. Do we not remember how he carved us up when we played Green Bay. He is a fine number 2 back. As far a third option, we have lots of potential already on this team. Is that not the point of the third spot?

I guess I look at this team and would rather see Russell, Washington or Bagwell at this point, rather than waste a opportunity next year. What is the reason we picked up Fisher if we want someone like Brown or Bennett.
    I think, it's a case of being safe than sorry, again sorry RW to bring up my 'what if's' scenerio. So IF Sj gets crocked in week 1... would you have faith for the following 15 weeks that Fisher could carry the responsablity for all that time, yet trying to opt for someone who, won't exactly set the league on fire (Ala Nick Going's 1 year wonder, about 2 seasons back).

I edge on the side of caution, JUST in case anything happens to SJ.. hopefully let the Rams god's see that, it does'nt happen.

rather be safe than sorry RW..

Mark

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Now that you say it that way, it makes a lot of sense. We should give these guys a shot. They have proven that they can survive in the league. And to answer your question, it's more of a back-up role situation. They want someone who has been a starter in the mix in-case something happens to SJ. They would prefer to have a back who's started before and not been a #2 man.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

IMO Fisher is the pacifier we needed in case Marshall couldn't go. Fisher is a pass catcher out of the backfield. Third down back ???

NFLTopGun is offline Registered User

Fisher's not a 20-25 carries back every game. He's mainly our 3rd down back. We need a bigger, stronger back to back up SJ. Someone like Chris Brown. I certainly hope we go after him. Better safe than sorry.
    :clanram: DIE HARD RAMS' FAN!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NFLTopGun
    Fisher's not a 20-25 carries back every game. He's mainly our 3rd down back. We need a bigger, stronger back to back up SJ. Someone like Chris Brown. I certainly hope we go after him. Better safe than sorry.
    No we don't need a bigger, stronger back. We need a quick and fast back to change up Steven Jackson IMO, a good change up back I think is what we need.
    RamsFan16

NFLTopGun is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    No we don't need a bigger, stronger back. We need a quick and fast back to change up Steven Jackson IMO, a good change up back I think is what we need.
    I disagree. We already have a back like that in Fisher. In case SJ goes down, we need a big, strong back that can do 20-25 carries per game. Fisher won't be able to handle that.
    :clanram: DIE HARD RAMS' FAN!

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Why is everyone so hip on the idea of giving up a 3rd or 4th on a back that might not even see the field.
    Well for one, he's going to see the field. It seems pretty clear that the Rams staff wanted to get Faulk his share of touches this season, because Olson said as much in a May interview. So it's not unreasonable to assume whoever we get as the #2 is going to see the field in some way.

Two, the Rams coaching staff has said they want to keep Fisher in that #3 role so he can also make contributions on special teams. That's one of the reasons they signed him.

So while I don't think for one second that not acquiring another back is the end of the world, it would certainly be nice to get one so we can use Fisher in the role we intended to use him in.

It should be noted that in Green Bay, Fisher was the third man on the totem pole behind Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport. He got his fair share of carries in Green Bay because of their rotation, but he was still was behind those two guys.

So using his time in Green Bay to support the idea that he'd be a fine number two is somewhat murky, especially when you consider that over the last two seasons when Davenport was injured Fisher didn't really step up, and that's something we'd be asking him to do here if Jackson goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by NFLTopGun
    I disagree. We already have a back like that in Fisher.
    Um, Fisher is not a fast quick back at all. He's listed as 222 pounds and is a between-the-tackles kind of runner and a good receiver out of the backfield. I'm not sure where you got the idea that he was a fast 'back.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

tanus is offline Registered User

Linehan has stated that he wants to use Tony Fisher as the 3rd down back and for special teams purposes. Elevating him to the #2 RB will hinder those responsibilities. Look at Linehan's past, he likes to use multiple RB's. By the way, if you think Tony Fisher is speedy, then you are wrong. He ran a 4.66 forty at the combine. He is also 6'1 226, so he is a big back just like SJ who is 6'2 231. Now Michael Bennett on the other hand is 5'9 209, clearly a difference.

Just curious, do most of you bother to do research before you post or do you just go with what you want to believe?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Whatever Linehan says, goes. It's as simple as that. Not everything the Rams do this off-season are gonna be something WE all are happy about. For the most part, I'd rather have these stupid conversations about why we need a #2 back, although it's been explained, rather than have Martz again, and not have obtained any of the great guys we all are happy about. There are reasons why Linehan is getting/got a #2 guy (and btw, it's Moe Williams), don't worry about it, sit tight and relax.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

I guess I am curious to who you are referring to?? And if I need to defend my statement even more.

And I guess it shouldn't matter to who you are referring this to, as people are allowed to speak opinions and beliefs about this team if they want to. That is what this forum is all about. Not just stats and numbers.

I BELIEVE! - - - Give someone that can carry the rock "IF" something happens to Jackson and when he needs a breather. Why do we need to sell the farm and the future on second rate backs or give up yet another roster spot for just in cases. I really don't care what combine numbers say and I don't care for a change of pace back.

Just curious. What do Moe Williams numbers say? Will he provide that speed and quickness that your numbers are speaking so highly of? *LOL*

Quote Originally Posted by tanus
    Just curious, do most of you bother to do research before you post or do you just go with what you want to believe?
    Last edited by RamWraith; -08-02-2006 at 04:11 PM.

wanderer is offline Registered User

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the need to keep Jackson fresh for the real season. Jackson needs some work during the preseason to get his timing but once the first unit is off the field we need some backs to play the rest of the game. The same goes for practice. If we only have a limited number of backs we could be setting our selves up for problems in the season.

Someone like Moe Williams, who we just signed, may be an ideal "camp" back. He knows the system so he shouldn't make too many mistakes and he can help mentor the rookies.

tanus is offline Registered User

My post wasnt directed at you RamWraith, it was directed at the poster who stated that Tony Fisher was a "fast back." It took me 23.8 seconds of research to prove him wrong.

No prob bud....

Thought maybe I wasn't clear :-)

Quote Originally Posted by tanus
    My post wasnt directed at you RamWraith, it was directed at the poster who stated that Tony Fisher was a "fast back." It took me 23.8 seconds of research to prove him wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast