Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Why Does Bulger Take So Much Heat About Being Calm And Not A Leader?

I read here today some don't like the way Bulger is "accountant" like.

I just don't get it, he doesn't celebrate like Chad Johnson. He comes out, leads the team, does his job and comes off the field. Yet he takes so much heat about not being a leader and not being emotional etc. What about Barry Sanders, why didn't he take heat for being calm and just handing the ball to the ref. He was still a leader of the team, he just wasn't vocal on the field, same as Marc.

I'm not comparing Bulger and Sanders talent wise, so don't even go there. This is just about being a leader and how you handle yourself on and off the field.

There was a piece done on the Rams yesterday on NFL Countdown (I knew Countdown was doing a piece so that was the only reason I watched). Marc said himself, we have vocal leaders on this team, Faulk(was one) Holt (who does it with class) and a few others. Marc said he likes to take guys aside and talk to them, he's not a rah rah type of guy, but he's still a leader of the team, and the team acknowledges that, just like the Lions did with Barry Sanders. So what's the problem with Bulger being "accountant" like?

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Why Does Bulger Take So Much Heat About Being Calm And Not A Leader?

The problem is the "E."

You see, the "worldwide leader in sports" should be called "SPN" or the "Sports Programming Network."

Instead its "ESPN," the "E" standing for "Entertainment."

Unfortunately, too many people equate being loud, obnoxious, outrageous and childish with being entertaining.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Avenger has a good point. In addition to his calm attitude on the field, he isnt a great source for quotes either.

But to me, the bottom line, is many people have viewed bulger as a system qb. He has martz, faulk, bruce and holt, anyone can put up numbers in that system, just look at kitna etc!

So goes the media thinking. I think some of that is changing, but great qbs in the nfl are measured by playoff victories in large part, and until we get enough defense to get bulger into position to win in the playoffs, and enough offensive line play to establish the run against a quality defense and protect him enough so he isnt getting killed, i dont think he will ever get the recognition he deserves.

I have said for three years that if you put bulger with seattles o line (last years version) or hass with the rams receivers, you would have the ultimate qb.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I actually prefer Bulger's approach to the game. Go out there, do your job, come back, and get ready for next time. He doesn't let anything bother him, and that's the kind of attitude you need at the quarterback position.

I would really like to know when visible and frequent emotional displays became a prerequisite for being an effective leader.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I like the way he goes about his work and see no reason at all for him, a QB of all people, to indulge in chest beating and fist shaking. It's just not necessary but then the 'media' have different priorities to us and ESPN have different priorities to a lot of people. Just be thankful you don't live in Asia where their programming really does plumb the depths of sadness.

What matters is what he does on every play not what he does between them or off the field.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

He shows class...How awful!

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

bela Guest

I was the one who made the Bulger accountant analogy here earlier.

My exact statement was:

Quote Originally Posted by bela
    I really do not care for Marc Bulger. I absolutely despise the calm, accountant-like manner in which he game after game shreds my beloved Seahawk defense. Despite my unjustified dislike for him, when he’s healthy he’s as good as anyone in the NFC. And now that you’ve removed the Martz influence and we can’t count on 2+ INTs per game he is even more scary.
    Sometimes sarcasiim and/or satire does not come across well on a message board. But although I am sincere in my dislike for the Rams, Bulger included - that statement was intended to be funny.

I mean come on, "accountant-like manner in which he game after game shreds my beloved Seahawk defense"?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I still think his nickname should be "Zen."

stlramman is offline Registered User

i for one thought bulger showed some fire yesterday! seen him getting in a hawks players face after a hit and on the spectacular play to holt he was seen running off the field showing great enthusiasm! i loved seeing some emotion from our qb. he doesnt have to be a rah rah guy, just show some excitement sometimes..let us see you care. imo linehan may be a great match for bulger, maybe football is starting to be fun for marc again. it couldnt have been much fun with martz if what was said during yesterdays broadcast was true ,that martz would call him a chicken for checking down to a rb or underneath receiver! :x if that is true i am dumbfounded by it!!

supachump is offline Registered User

I think the cool-calm-demeanor is great!! Screw the critics. Who wants a hyperactive QB? Remember, they may be fun in celebration, but they can also be a pain in the ass cry baby when things dont go their way! I pick the cool guy!

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The problem is the "E."

You see, the "worldwide leader in sports" should be called "SPN" or the "Sports Programming Network."

Instead its "ESPN," the "E" standing for "Entertainment."

Unfortunately, too many people equate being loud, obnoxious, outrageous and childish with being entertaining.
    I agree to an extent, but I see it here also by some, and I don't see many (if any) ESPN lovers here at the Clan, so what's their reason.

I love how Bulger approaches and plays the game, and I wouldn't want him any other way.
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

Quote Originally Posted by bela View Post
    I was the one who made the Bulger accountant analogy here earlier.

Sometimes sarcasiim and/or satire does not come across well on a message board. But although I am sincere in my dislike for the Rams, Bulger included - that statement was intended to be funny.

I mean come on, "accountant-like manner in which he game after game shreds my beloved Seahawk defense"?
    Don't misunderstand, I wasn't singling you out. It wasn't about your post at all, I didn't take it as smack talk, I just couldn't remember who used the "accountant" term but it fit my question/thread. I don't expect love from opposing fans, my question was directed more at Rams fans because I have seen it said here by some throughout Bulger's career here.
    Last edited by ramsbruce; -10-17-2006 at 01:45 AM.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I fail to see what is wrong with acting like an accountant. Accountants have to make good decisions with a lot of information. They are level headed and they deal well with pressure.

I would have a problem if Bulger acted like a cheerleader or a clown.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RealRam is offline Registered User

The first time I heard Marc Bulger's demeanor being compared to that of an accountant was yesterday during the game, an observation by one of the commentators. And I thought it was an accurate description of a professional performing his job and fulfilling his responsibilities with poise under pressure, calm, cool and collected -- even if their respective workplaces are a little different.

I have no problem whatsoever with that. Besides, I figure MB must have studied, in detail, as many old NFL Films videos he could get his hands on about the great and legendary Johnny Unitas.

Now that was an accountant with a football uniform on! A stone-face leader if I ever saw one. Very similar to Bulger in the way he conducted himself, seldomly emotional, rarely a smile. All business.

Keep up the good work Marc!

[And Bela, I don't think any harm was done by your remark.]

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    I fail to see what is wrong with acting like an accountant. Accountants have to make good decisions with a lot of information. They are level headed and they deal well with pressure.

I would have a problem if Bulger acted like a cheerleader or a clown.
    Exactly, that's my point. Some people seem to mistake his calm quiet demeanor for not being a leader and I just don't understand why.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast