general counsel is offline Registered User

Why faulk was the critical guy in the gsot and the greatest ram ever

I dont have it in me yet to post all of my feelings on marshall faulks retirement. I have written more about faulk on this board over the last three years than any other poster. I believe that he is a dramatically underated player, even by many in st louis and even by many on this board.

For now, i put forth two thoughts and would love to see anyone debate me on them.

1) Faulk is the greatest player in the history of the franchise because he is the only player ever to play for the rams who was the greatest player in the entire nfl, regardless of position, and i believe that was true for a full three year stretch (99-01). The only other possibilities were bob waterfield in 1945 and possibly johnny drake or parker hall in the late 30's. I dont believe that kurt warner ever reached that level. Warner was the mvp of the league, but not of his team. The bias in favor of white qb's over black running backs is long evident in mvp voting, but lets put it this way. On a crappy team without an offensive line and all of those weapons, warner may still have been effective, but no where near his level during the gsot, whereas faulk was a superstar for some very average/lousy colts teams.

2) If Trent Green doesnt get hurt, the GSOT might not have lost a beat. I am taking nothing away from warner who was the best qb in the nfl for a period of time, but green was poised for a monster season when he got hurt. He had the arm, the accuracy and the leadership. I think you could make the case that green might have won superbowl 34 anyway. I am not saying that he would have, only that it was a distinct possibility. At the minimum, the rams offense would have been very very prolific with green at the helm. However, if the rams dont trade a 2 and a 5 for marshall faulk, there is no way in the world that the rams win one superbowl and come within a play or two of winning another one. Just no way in the world.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Why faulk was the critical guy in the gsot and the greatest ram ever

I can remember players discussing the Rams, and they would say Warner is having a great year, Bruce is hot, Holt is tough, but when they talked about Marshall they also took a deep breath and say, "man". Jerome Kearse was interviewed once on ESPN right after the Super Bowl and he would just shake his head and didn't have words for Faulk.

Faulk's main contribution to that team is unnoticed by most fans. The way he would pick up the blitz was the best ever. He always knew exactly where it was coming from.

Marshall Faulk .................................
    I remember his trade to the Rams.

I was in St Louis, the week before the 99 season started and we took a tour around Rams Park out at Earth City.

There were a few of us "fans" all wandering around (in a group) and we were heading out to the grass practice field to watch the players finish up their practise.

One little guy was holding the door open as all these "fans" poured out with cameras poised to get photos of the players. Moira and myself were at the back of the group and I could not help smiling as Marshall waved all these fans out while holding the door ajar and not one of them even said thanks or recognised him.

Neadles to say he never got away from me LOL

A great man and a historic Ram Player.

I agree completely with tx on the blitz pick ups. A big part of why i always say he is underated. So much of what he did never showed up on the stats.

Faulk had lost the best of his elite speed by the time he joined the rams. Can you imagine what he was like when he couldnt be caught from behind? And yet, he was so sneaky fast and could cut on a dime. The sight of faulk seemingly walking on an end sweep, following his blockers, waiting for the hole to open and then darting through that crevice at the speed of light was one of the most poetic and beatiful things i have ever seen on a football field. He was such a great, great between the tackles runner who almost never fumbled. He was a competitor beyond compare. He was a human mismatch as a receiver, the best receiving running back by far in the history of the nfl and the reason why comparisons to dickerson as an ALL AROUND back make no sense. He had the open field moves and cut back ability of a gayle sayres. He DID NOT play his entire career on the rams behind 5 pro bowl linemen (as dickerson did). He could line up in countless places in the formation and wreak havoc on a defense. He had to be accounted for on every single play.

One of the greatest things about faulk is how when the rams absolutely positively needed him, he was at his best. Case in point- THe second half of the game against the eagles for the nfc title. Greatest show on turf my butt. We were losing and what did martz do to take control of the game? The only logical thing. He handed the ball to marshall 11 times in a row and got the hell out of the way. marshall and the o line drilled the eagles into the ground and took back the game. If only martz had remembered that method the following week against the pats in the superbowl.

Look at the games the rams lost during the gsot peak and see what they had in common. Specifically, faulk didnt get enough touches. Remember how at the end of the 2000 season when the rams were in full collapse mode, faulk put the team literally on his back for those last three games and just devastated everyone in his wake, including that all time classic performance against the saints. Remember the 4 tds against tampa in the 2000 monday night game that we lost. Remember him in the carolina playoff game, well past his prime, still making those open field moves and destroying the defense as a receiver. Remember the sheer will and that gameface as he ran out the clock in countless rams wins during the gsot. That killer look in his eye is something that THe Big Boy is just starting to get. The look that says, "Load it up Hoss, i dont care if you know i'm a comin', you arent gonna stop me from getting that first down"

Almost as good a pure runner as dickerson, as tough as payton, the best pass receiver ever at the position, almost as good a blocker as payton, as smart as anyone ever to play the position, remarkable patience as a runner and a teamate that enjoyed the utmost respect of everyone he ever played with, all hail the greatest man ever to put on the horns, the greatest ram of all time, the ultimate ram, marshall faulk.

We will all teach our kids to say marshall, marshall, marshall when the chips really are on the line. The clan will be in canton in force when his day comes.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    Marshall Faulk .................................
    I remember his trade to the Rams.

I was in St Louis, the week before the 99 season started and we took a tour around Rams Park out at Earth City.

There were a few of us "fans" all wandering around (in a group) and we were heading out to the grass practice field to watch the players finish up their practise.

One little guy was holding the door open as all these "fans" poured out with cameras poised to get photos of the players. Moira and myself were at the back of the group and I could not help smiling as Marshall waved all these fans out while holding the door ajar and not one of them even said thanks or recognised him.

Neadles to say he never got away from me LOL

A gream man and a historic Ram Player.
    I hope you at least threw the doorman a tip?

RealRam is online now Registered User

BTW, nice job in displaying those terrific images of Marshall in every page! :r

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

While I agree with your arguement General, I still like Dickerson. The only man in Ram history to be MVP of his team every year he put on it's uniform. What's more is Dickerson never had the benefit of playing in the most prolific and probably the greatest offense of all time. Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Az Hakim, Ernie Conwell, Kurt Warner, Marc Bulger, and Mike Martz as an offensive coordinator weren't around when Dickerson played. Eric relied only on his offensive line and his own ability to become the great player that he was.

Defenses only gameplanned for number 29 when they played the Rams, yet he still is one of the greatest runners the NFL has ever seen. Had he been paid and remained a Ram throughout his career, Emmit Smith would've retired a lot sooner, having long since figured out that it's a much easier task to dance with the stars than it was with Eric Dickerson.

There have been a lot of great backs to play in the NFL, but only a few that ran over, through around and by defenses even though they knew he was coming. Dickerson was one of them.

I don't say any of this to take away anything from Marshall Faulk, he is the greatest in a lot of people's eyes, but unlike Dickerson he did play in an offense that had an awful lot of players that had to be accounted for, even if he were the main one.

Can you imagine the numbers Dickerson would've put up if defenses only lined up 10 in the box, instead of 11? I'm just sayin'.

I appreciate your view on dickerson. As a pure runner, he may have been better than faulk, i am not denying that. However, keep in mind that while dickerson didnt have the weapons of the gsot around him, he had one of the best offensive lines ever assembled and that makes a big, big difference in the running game. You cant comparing the blocking and pass receiving between dickerson and faulk and thats where the comparison on an all around basis falls apart.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RealRam is online now Registered User

Re: Why Faulk was the critical guy in the GSOT and the greatest ram ever

Yes, I agree. Dickerson was no doubt a better RB in terms of being a... 'pure runner', as you said, GC.

Two different specimens and styles. ED: 6-3, 220. MF: 5-10, 210. Dickerson: the glider and power speedster, upright. Faulk: the dodger artist, excellent receiver, and football game erudite (offensively comparable to the mind of Martz).

Both truly outstanding and peerless. :r

But ultimately, yes, Faulk is perhaps the greatest Ram by virtue of his leadership, poise, and ability to produce TDs in a more complex scheme. He revolutionized the role of the 21st century RB.

Fortunately, it was with us.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

GC...as usual, you're quite wise. All of your posts about Faulk being the best player ever are so true, how can anyone disagree with the arguments you make? I completely agree with you, he really was the best

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I appreciate your view on dickerson. As a pure runner, he may have been better than faulk, i am not denying that. However, keep in mind that while dickerson didnt have the weapons of the gsot around him, he had one of the best offensive lines ever assembled and that makes a big, big difference in the running game. You cant comparing the blocking and pass receiving between dickerson and faulk and thats where the comparison on an all around basis falls apart.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Obviously I agree that Marshall was the best all around player General, but there has to be a realistic opposing viewpoint. Otherwise the read becomes boring.

keith m. klink Guest

I love to listen to this debate, because you are all right , ERIC or MARSHALL , MARSHALL or ERIC, but the joy we feel watching the tapes of these players must bring such a smile to you all as it does me . and to know that they both played, and had their BEST years at RAMS. i love them both , and i'll just leave them as the best at what they did on sunday.

majorram is offline Registered User

What an amazing read, just loved it........I totally agree he WAS the best and I feel proud to have been able to watch the great man as a Ram.

steve:l
    "The breakfast Club"

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    While I agree with your arguement General, I still like Dickerson. The only man in Ram history to be MVP of his team every year he put on it's uniform. What's more is Dickerson never had the benefit of playing in the most prolific and probably the greatest offense of all time. Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Az Hakim, Ernie Conwell, Kurt Warner, Marc Bulger, and Mike Martz as an offensive coordinator weren't around when Dickerson played. Eric relied only on his offensive line and his own ability to become the great player that he was.

Defenses only gameplanned for number 29 when they played the Rams, yet he still is one of the greatest runners the NFL has ever seen. Had he been paid and remained a Ram throughout his career, Emmit Smith would've retired a lot sooner, having long since figured out that it's a much easier task to dance with the stars than it was with Eric Dickerson.

There have been a lot of great backs to play in the NFL, but only a few that ran over, through around and by defenses even though they knew he was coming. Dickerson was one of them.

I don't say any of this to take away anything from Marshall Faulk, he is the greatest in a lot of people's eyes, but unlike Dickerson he did play in an offense that had an awful lot of players that had to be accounted for, even if he were the main one.

Can you imagine the numbers Dickerson would've put up if defenses only lined up 10 in the box, instead of 11? I'm just sayin'.
    These are all great points. I'll tell you what I'll take them both.