RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Why I don't believe rumors.

I just read a story over at rotoworld, a website run entirely by rumors. I'm going to dissect what the young Evan has "reported" and tear it down.
    St. Louis Rams - This year's offensive change in St. Louis is eerily similar to last year's in Washington. Like Jim Zorn did in D.C., former Eagles QBs coach Pat Shurmur is installing a run-based West Coast offense. Clinton Portis had owners atop fantasy rankings at the halfway point last season with 944 yards on 187 carries and seven TDs. Steven Jackson is younger, has less tread on his tires, and plays in a much weaker division. Could Jackson work similar magic, and keep it going all season? He's also way more versatile than Portis, and St. Louis upgraded its personnel around S-Jax with first-round pick Jason Smith, pricey center Jason Brown, and facemask-cracking lead blocker Mike Karney. Try not to hold Jackson's eight missed games since 2006 against him if he's available late in the first round. He has fantasy MVP potential.

With Marc Bulger facing a do-or-die season, the Rams are among the most likely teams to make a quarterback trade before or during camp. Bulger's never played in an offense like Shurmur's and could struggle this preseason. Tarvaris Jackson, who is expected to ask out once Brett Favre signs in Minnesota, and Kevin Kolb have played in the same system. Shurmur was Kolb's position coach in Philadelphia for the last two years. Other names of interest could be free agent Brian Griese, Todd Collins, and Vince Young or Michael Vick if the Rams really want to get creative.

Projected Rams No. 2 receiver Keenan Burton (hamstring) got hurt again at minicamps. He needs to stay healthy to hold off speedy Laurent Robinson opposite Donnie Avery. ... Kenneth Darby is the favorite to be Steven Jackson's backup, ahead of Antonio Pittman and rookie Chris Ogbonnaya. ... Second-round pick James Laurinaitis continues to run behind Chris Draft at middle linebacker, but that won't last. Laurinaitis is a virtual lock to start there on opening day and lead all rookies in tackles.

Evan Silva is a football editor for RotoWorld.com
    Steven Jackson is younger, has less tread on his tires, and plays in a much weaker division. Could Jackson work similar magic, and keep it going all season?
    Right...and who represented the NFC East in the Superbowl last season...oh, right, it was the WEST who made it there.

With Marc Bulger facing a do-or-die season, the Rams are among the most likely teams to make a quarterback trade before or during camp.
    And, of course, the cap hit isn't of any concern. Of course, one can also say the Rams are among the most likely to win the NFC crown. After all, there are only 15 teams we have to beat...

Bulger's never played in an offense like Shurmur's and could struggle this preseason.
    Or, he could come out and light it up like there's no tomorrow. Guess we'll just have to wait and see, huh?

Tarvaris Jackson, who is expected to ask out once Brett Favre signs in Minnesota, and Kevin Kolb have played in the same system. Shurmur was Kolb's position coach in Philadelphia for the last two years. Other names of interest could be free agent Brian Griese, Todd Collins, and Vince Young or Michael Vick if the Rams really want to get creative.
    Here we go again. Some kid thinks the Rams will trade Bulger for Vick. For the last time - IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! Besides, I hear Ryan Leaf is looking for work....

Projected Rams No. 2 receiver Keenan Burton (hamstring) got hurt again at minicamps. He needs to stay healthy to hold off speedy Laurent Robinson opposite Donnie Avery
    Duh.

Laurinaitis is a virtual lock to start there on opening day and lead all rookies in tackles.
    Another duh.

I noticed there was no mention of Spags, nor of Chris Long, nor any others who could really have an impact on the season. Oh, well, at least Evan got more fuel for that rumor mill...

Action_Jackson is offline Registered User

Re: Why I don't believe rumors.

We do play in a weak division and if used properly Jackson will have a huge year.

Even though the Cardinals made the Super bowl and a team from the east never, the teams in the east are much better than our divisional opponents.

Dont see the problem with the article.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

My only problem with the article is his assessment of Bulger. I think that the WCO is really more suited to Bulger's strong points: I.E. short to medium range passes and quick reads that require a quick release. If you really look at it the Martz/GSOT style of passing game never fit Mark all that well as it usually requires superior arm strength which he has never exhibited.

At any rate we shall all soon see.

WHAT SAY YE?

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Action_Jackson View Post
    We do play in a weak division and if used properly Jackson will have a huge year.

Even though the Cardinals made the Super bowl and a team from the east never, the teams in the east are much better than our divisional opponents.

Dont see the problem with the article.

You don't see this problem in the article? This kid doesn't have a clue.

Replace Bulger with:

Tarvaris Jackson - IQ of a tree, inaccurate, slow to release the football, average mobility

Kevin Kolb - completely unproven and raw

Brian Griese - Journeyman who has always underachieved

Todd Collins - 39 years old and at the end of the road

Vince Young - IQ of a dead tree, inaccurate, slow to release the football, couldn't grasp a high school offense

Michael Vick - IQ of mulch, inaccurate, slow to release the football, character issues, selfish

Really, does anything else need to be said?
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -07-16-2009 at 08:18 PM.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

The Cardinals were 3-7 outside the NFC West and won the division by 2 games (really 3 since they swept the 9ers)? How do you call that a good division? They got hot in the playoffs which happens. The NFC East and South didn't have any teams with a losing record and we had 3. I'd call that pretty weak.

Bulger has struggled for 2 seasons so saying he COULD struggle is a fact. He could flourish under the new system but that doesn't discount that fact the odds of him continuing to struggle are higher. The Rams aren't going to make a mid-season move with Bulger unless he has a career threatening injury. Then they may just go ahead and bite the bullet.

Burton and Robinson have both been banged up. It isn't unreasonable to expect the starter to be the last man standing when the season starts.

I don't see the problem with the article either.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post

Replace Bulger with:

Tarvaris Jackson - IQ of a tree, inaccurate, slow to release the football, average mobility

Vince Young - IQ of a dead tree, inaccurate, slow to release the football, couldn't grasp a high school offense

Michael Vick - IQ of mulch, inaccurate, slow to release the football, character issues, selfish

lol...Wow, the Infiniti IQ rating is harsh. Is there anything below "mulch"? I'm assuming it goes from tree, dead tree, to mulch, high to low. If so, that's where Mr Silva is working with the QB stuff; at a sub-mulchian level .

I actually liked the first paragraph. The rest of it seemed like aimless name-dropping. Droppings of some kind, at any rate.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You always have to consider your sources. Here is the hierarchy of reliability, from lowest to highest level:

Random Internet Message Board Poster ==> "Fantasy Football" Blogger ==> Other Bloggers ==> National Sportswriters ==> Local Sportswriters who actually speak with the team ==> AvengerRam

A-Web is offline Registered User

Like some people have said, the only thing that I don't see aligning up there is really just the Quarterback situation. I understand the CAP hit we would take in releasing Bulger, but, does anyone know if the same applies if he is traded?

shower beers is offline Registered User

Yeah the NFC west is pretty bad. Outside of the Cardinals, everyone else picked in the top ten. Ouch.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post

Replace Bulger with:

What kind of trees are we talking about here?

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    What kind of trees are we talking about here?
    Gosh, thinking about it, I can't believe that I insulted trees like that. Oh well, no more oxygen for me I guess ...

I remember what Bulger was before he was tarnished by bad coaching and poor offensive lines and schemes. I know he can still perform like that. When he has his confidence, and even a little time, he is razor accurate and a quick thinker. When I look at some of the other crap behind centers these days, I feel pretty good about the POTENTIAL we have behind center in St. Louis ...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Would Vick be a dogwood?

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Duh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Would Vick be a dogwood?
    ...and Vince Young a Weeping Willow?

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Those who think this division is weak, I don't look at it like most. Sure, last year the west wasn't the top dawgs, but this year they won't be the carp of the league, either. You've got Singletary, who will make the whiners into something that might just be competitive. Mora will take the Seattle Geriatrics, er, squawks, and at least keep them from embarrassing themselves. 'Zona will likely be a force, but probably not back to the Superbowl. And, I believe Spags will pound the Rams into a respectable team. In addition, three of the four were plagued by injuries - and now everyone is healthy.

Weak? NO. Underestimated? YES.