39thebeast is offline Registered User

Why I like this group

The number one thing for the Rams is to be healthy. Imagine if we had Laurent Robinson, Avery, The whole O-line, OJ, Bartell, Fletcher, and Butler healthy Butler. Those guys are all key players that we were missing and we were missing key people besides those guys. Injuries are part of football, but if we don't get hit by the injury bug as hard this year we will definately be better.

Also players are going to get better, players are going to get extremely better in their second year in the same system.

The O line left to right Smith, Bell, Brown, Grecco/Goldberg/Fraley, Saffold/Barron if healthy no way are they giving up 44 sacks. Also you can expect another nice season from Steven Jackson. The O-line was made a focus and it will be a key to our success.

Wide Recivers are definately going to be better and I'm looking at 2 guys specifically Brandon Gibson and Laurant Robinson. Gibson came in halfway through last year and even with those setbacks he played well. He is going to be better. Laurant Robinson another guy who showed alot of potential, he will be so crucial to Sam Bradfords success and the Rams success. IMO his only issue is the injury problem the talent to be a great WR is there and he proved that in the few games he played IMO. If this guy can stay healthy it will be a huge boost to our offense. Donnie Avery another guy with injury problems, but he has bulked and hopefully that will help his durability. Also statistically the only WR that has been better than him in his draft class is Desean Jackson. The Rookie Mardy Gillyard wild card he is a play maker he can do alot for you in different ways. He is going to make a positive impact on this team. I haven't even mentioned guys like Foster, Burton, and Amendola. Last year guys like guaranteed to make the roster this year they have to improve or they are gone. I like our WR group more than most. TE we have a bunch of bodies Fells, Bajema, Johnso, Uh-Oh, Obunu hopefully someone steps up.

On the D-line 2 guys I expect to show major improvement are Chris Long and Darrell Scott. Chris Long plays 16 games how he played his last four and this defense will be much better. Long will bring the much need pressure we need. Scott was excellent also late in the season penetrating getting in the backfield making a big impact on the run game. Pair him up with Cliff Ryan who was top 3 in the league in tackles for loss among DTs along with 2 ends in Long and Hall who are good against the run and you have a d-line that can be verry affective against the run and certainly much better than what we have had in the past. Robbins and Gibson solid reserves at DT. They have some young developmental pass rushers Selvie, Hall Davis, Simms all young athletic guys. Will they come in and be dominant? probably not but they will have opportunities in this system and be able to use there athleticism to get to the QB. Adeyanju played better last year and he is still good against the run.

LBs Lauranatis obviously the stud in this group. He had an excellent rookie year, with his work ethic is there even that slightest possibility he doesn't improve? I think not. At OLB you probably have Vobora and Diggs. Who plays WLb and who plays SLB is still up in the air. Vobora played OK last year Diggs is a vet who is good against the run. Are all 3 LBs going to be on the field alot for this team? I don't think so. So maybe there deficiencies get covered up by more nickel and dime packages.

Secondary probably the strength of the defense. The two key players here are OJ Otogwe and Ron Bartell. We really need OJ back and both these guys need to healthy. OJ needs to be ball hawk and playmaker in the secondary. We have seen him at his peek. He makes game changing plays. Bartell wasn't healthy all year and we really need him. When he is healthy Bartell is a more than adequate cover man. You have 2 young CBs that fit the scheme perfectly in Fletcher and Murphy. In this division you need you need 3 good corners you have a healthy and a physical Murphy will go along way. Butler made some plays in the secondary and was good against the run solid not spectacular Dahl is good depth at safety and there should be a good battle for the 4th CB spot with many candidates.

The biggest key to this teams success is Sam Bradford. How long does it take for him to make a significant impact? IMO the Rams have finally built a pretty good O-line. Steven Jackson great running back behind him. He needs his weapons to improve. Here is why I think Sam Bradford will be just as a good as Matt Ryan his rookie year. Physically he is just as good maybe better. Both incredibly intelligent QBs. Ryan had an edge playing in a pro style system, but when you look at it he threw the ball even more than Bradford did. He came in with a great RB in Michael Turner. Steven jackson probably even better. Rody White only proven weapon he had, White had just come on the season before. White Emerged year 3. Avery is entering year 3 so is Robinson is entering year 4 but he has missed enough time to consider it year 3 Falcons defense wasn't outstanding talent wise, but had an excellent defensive coach. It took 2 years for the Rams to build up a similar situation to the Falcons, but I think Devaney is trying to build the team the same way coming from Atlanta. He's got his RB his O-line. He has got his young outstanding MLB. Secondary farther along. LB slightly behind. Hoping Chris Long is the John Abraham type pass rusher. The rest of the d-line is farther along than the Falcons. Ryan his rookie year had no TE to speak of. Roddy White the only major difference. You look at the Falcons team Ryans rookie year it looks really similar to the team we have right now. I'm Just saying.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Re: Why I like this group

One of the most shining and optimistic reviews for this team I think anyone could hope to read, and I give it two thumbs up. I was hoping we'd address our LB situation with a bit more urgency, but who knows? Maybe we'll see Davis come on as an OLB, I think I read he played most of his last season standing up. Or the kid out of Penn State could shift to the outside and log some playing time there.

I've got a good feeling about the upcoming season just like you. Even if it isn't our breakout year, I hope it will end up being at least a solid step in the right direction.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Is this a positive post? My god with all the negative stuff going on around here lately you'd think that we had already lost all the games in 2010. Thank you 39, this was a great post and i can not wait till the start of the season!!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Someone out here has to have faith in the actual football people

Rams 55 is offline Registered User

I hope your right about Bradford being successful like Matt Ryan. That would be awesome! I think us having a running game is going to help him out a lot. It will take the pressure off of him a little bit. I think thats the reason Matthew Stafford wasnt very good last year. He had no running game at all. I think that plays a big part in the success of a rookie QB. It sure helped Sanchez out last year too.

TheBritishRam is online now Registered User

Great post 39, we have plenty of reason to be positive. I think Vobora is very underrated and can only continue to improve as an OLB. I'm hoping Scott can be a force next to Ryan next year and get penetration and also that there is some production from the other DE spot opposite Long, whoever it is.

I'm a bit worried about the WLB spot, I don't have a lot of faith in Diggs but in Spags' system in New York he never had more than solid players at OLB, so maybe I shouldn't worry so much. The keys to this year are, firstly, improvement in the passing game on offense - giving the opposition teams someone other than Jackson to worry about. And secondly get pressure on the QB consistently from the D so the secondary can have a chance to display its talent.

Can't wait for the new season!

RebelYell is online now Registered User

We'll see how the players develop. Last year the Rams took a few fliers and several panned out to be serviceable players. Especially at the WR position. Who's to say that isn't going to happen this year?

Going into the draft the Rams needed a QB, RB, WR, TE, OT/OG, DE, SLB, WLB, CB. They have the QB, WR, OT and CB. If the Rams can find ONE DE in all their projects from this year and last, it'll be a sweet offseason.

The Rams have a lot of young question marks to declare this team competitive. Going into this draft they were 2 years away from being decent. That's not changed. Maybe the Rams raid a practice squad or two and get a LBer nobody counted on. We'll see.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Diggs is slated to play strong side linebacker next year and Vobora is supposed to shift to weakisde, where he is actually better suited due to his size and speed. In the Spags defense, all you need is passable linebackers. The key to this defense is in the defensive line and having versatile players with a deep rotation. It remains to be seen who among this group will pan out but i don't think we can say we haven't gotten a LOT more athletic after this draft..

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Its funny how we can be very optimistic in April, for the St Louis Rams.
    The time is definitely NOW, for the Rams to get back in the game!
    The first thing, the Rams need to get rid of the Losers mentality, it only takes an instant to bounce back from the bottom, Time to think like Winners!
    I feel the Rams, mainly Spags and Devaney, addressed alot of their needs in the draft.
    Draftees who should have a big career for the Rams: Bradford (He will become the Rams Peyton Manning before its over)
    A blocking TE, a 6'6" TE who plays basketball, a speedy WR, a couple of Corners, couple of defensive linemen, a Linebacker and a OT. The Rams future looks bright, I like this group too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

morgansedge is offline Registered User

One of Sams greatest strengths is the play action pass.When teams have to worry about the run Sam will fake them out of their socks.By the way he was under center when he ran these plays. Go Rams!!!

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Gosh this should even get the Tx excited .. After all, we can't go on stinking forever can we?? Nice post Prez .. I'll have a couple of whatever you're having !!

harrydog is offline Registered User

Great post 39. I'm always optimistic this time of the year and this year there is more reason for optimism than in there has been for quite some time.
    However, I still have to temper the optimism with a dose of reality. I think the Rams will win some games this year but I'd be very surprised (and happy) if they won more than 5 or 6 games. But 5 or 6 wins is still a big improvement.
    With a few more key acquisitions and some time to gel as a team, they should be ready for a breakout season next year. Turning around a bad team takes time but the process is in place.

SeqArtMark is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Warner4prez View Post
    One of the most shining and optimistic reviews for this team I think anyone could hope to read, and I give it two thumbs up. I was hoping we'd address our LB situation with a bit more urgency, but who knows? Maybe we'll see Davis come on as an OLB, I think I read he played most of his last season standing up. Or the kid out of Penn State could shift to the outside and log some playing time there.

I've got a good feeling about the upcoming season just like you. Even if it isn't our breakout year, I hope it will end up being at least a solid step in the right direction.
    They should talk to the Bears again about getting a LB; we have a glut of serviceable ones! It's sort of a shame to be a Bears fan and seeing them draft LB's (in mid/late rounds) year-in and year-out, but none of them beat out their starters (Tinoisamoa, Urlacher, Briggs, and Hillenmeyer). Heck, I was glad to see Jamar Williams go to Carolina because he's a decent player who just happens to be behind a few exceptional players.

So yeah, have Devaney call Angelo and see what they can work out.