Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Why I'm NOT reading ANY camp reports this year.

Practice. We're talking about practice.

Okay, so Alan Iverson was talking about something completely different, but his words ring true here.

Every year its the same thing. A bunch of amateur "scouts" go to training camp and post their (far from expert) observations. Fans then read them, draw conclusions, and OVERREACT. Others chime in, telling them to calm down and be patient. Cycle repeats until the season starts.

I don't need to go through all that again. I can wait until the games start.

I only want to know two things: (1) has anyone been seriously injured, and (2) who has been cut.

Everything else is just talk.

AtlantaRamFan is online now Registered User

Re: Why I'm NOT reading ANY camp reports this year.

But Avenger, isn't that why we're here on a Message Board? To talk? I'm not saying the reports are good or bad, but personally, I've been craving anything Rams since the end of the season. Sure, I could check the draft AFTER it's over, but since it's the only thing Rams, I follow it as much as possible. Same thing with TC. Do the reports REALLY matter that much? probably not. But it's better than what I got before. Just my opinion.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Yeah, this is a pretty boring time in the NFL..I enjoy reading them just to read something new, even if it's mostly an opinion. The trick is to take the articles with a grain of salt, and wait for actual results.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I understand your point, AV, but I'm not sure TC reports are any more speculative blather than ,say, the pre draft discussion.

I totally agree that injuries are the most important news that can come out of it, but I also like hearing who seems to be progressing/regressing on the depth chart even if filtered through a fan or the media's perception.

It makes the pre season games more interesting to watch if you have some idea of who may be emerging or having issues, imo.

maineram is offline Registered User

Some things are just not said. Like the pic of a MIFFED Steven Jackson on the sideline with his hands on his hips CHATTING with Spags............. priceless !!

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Okay, so Alan Iverson was talking about something completely different, but his words ring true here.

Every year its the same thing. A bunch of amateur "scouts" go to training camp and post their (far from expert) observations. Fans then read them, draw conclusions, and OVERREACT. Others chime in, telling them to calm down and be patient. Cycle repeats until the season starts.

I only want to know two things: (1) has anyone been seriously injured, and (2) who has been cut.

A-FREAKIN-Men! On another inferior boaRRFD that I was browsing for some of these aforementioned reports, I am already seeing some fans who think that Bartell was overpaid and is a bust because he is getting burned by Avery in early training camp drills ...

First I thought it was an anomoly, then I saw several fans with this attitude. What a freakin joke ...

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

We are all just anxious for the season to start, and what better way than to think we are better than everybody else. Point taken as for everything being a mirage, or as you put it "overreaction." Still nothing wrong with being excited thanks for focusing on more important things, injuries and trades because that is what I'm paying more attention to, reality! I'm still waiting to hear a "high impact transaction"! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeze no more injuries.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I understand your point, AV, but I'm not sure TC reports are any more speculative blather than ,say, the pre draft discussion.

I totally agree that injuries are the most important news that can come out of it, but I also like hearing who seems to be progressing/regressing on the depth chart even if filtered through a fan or the media's perception.

It makes the pre season games more interesting to watch if you have some idea of who may be emerging or having issues, imo.

Yep...

To paraphrase Mark Twain, if you avoid camp reports, you might be slightly uninformed, but if you read them, you will almost certainly be misinformed.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Hyperbole?
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

GreatestShowOnTurf99 is offline Registered User

Varg6 is offline Registered User

To paraphrase Mark Twain, if you avoid camp reports, you might be slightly uninformed, but if you read them, you will almost certainly be misinformed.
    I agree, but I'd at least look at camp photos. At this point, we are all going a little crazy from no football, and it's almost like torturing yourself

INDULGE!!!!!

(in the photos) lol

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I agree, but I'd at least look at camp photos. At this point, we are all going a little crazy from no football, and it's almost like torturing yourself

INDULGE!!!!!

(in the photos) lol

Agreed. It's nice just to read something fresh, especially if one cannot travel to Missouri.

MFranke is offline Registered User

I agree there's merit to your approach. A player catches a couple of balls and optimism flows like wine. And that wine's often pouring over the mountains made out of molehills because another guy tripped over his shoelaces or something. One of the fan reports I read this weekend said impressions at best are the most a fan can come away with from attending training camp and I agree. And I try to be careful to say "I think", "it looked like", etc. a lot because you do have to base a lot on impressions, and sometimes you'll get the wrong one.

But at the same time, the best fan reports go into detail the media never attempts, and they're by guys who know what they're talking about. When camp was last in town a couple of years ago, fan reports beat the media to the punch on Cliff Ryan's breakout performance and Quinton Culberson's good play. Culberson wasn't even expected to make the team when he first entered camp.

So I think that taken in proper doses, fan reports can provide a good supplement to your Rams information diet.

Still, here's to the injury bug staying away so you don't have any reading material.

--Mike

Understand, I appreciate that fans giving on site camp reports are doing so with the best of intentions (for the most part). The problem is, fans have untrained eyes.

For example, of a fan sees Donnie Avery "burn" Ron Bartell, he'll write it as he sees it. However, he might not be aware that the drill was intended to practice timing between the QB and WR and, as a result, the CB was intstructed to cover the play at 3/4 speed. Alternatively, the CB might have been working on a new coverage technique that will end up "on the cutting room floor" by the time the season starts.

All the fan knows (and reports) is that Avery beat Bartell (and, from there, the speculation runs amuck).

The other problem is the "zero sum game" issue. On pretty much every play that pits one Ram against another, there will be a "winner" and a "loser" of the battle. In my experience, though, fans tend to focus 99% of their attention on the "loser" of the battle. Rarely do you hear fans saying "Wow! Avery is going up against one of the best cover CBs in football an he's getting open on every play! He's going to be a Pro Bowl player!" Instead, you hear "wow! Bartell sucks! Why did we overpay that guy!"

The truth, I can almost guarantee you, is somewhere between the extremes. Where? We'll see in September.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -08-03-2009 at 11:48 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast