Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Why Jeff Fisher?

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Why Jeff Fisher?

I've never really followed the man as a coach other than when the Rams beat the Titans in the Super Bowl. Why do I see his name getting tossed around like he could be the savior of our franchise? Just a quick glance at his record and in 17 seasons he had 6 winning seasons and 5 8-8 seasons. I don't see anything really special about that.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why he's so good? Not trying to start an argument - I really just don't know enough about the guy. I'll admit he's better than what we have atm though...
    lostsoul likes this.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

Re: Why Jeff Fisher?

I would rather have Schottenheimer. The guy was fired after going 14-2 with his only problem was not getting to the Superbowl after making the playoffs every year.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
    I would rather have Schottenheimer. The guy was fired after going 14-2 with his only problem was not getting to the Superbowl after making the playoffs every year.
    Marty has slight problem with "touching the ladies in creepy way" though...
    lostsoul likes this.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Schottenheimer is OK if you want 1 and done in the playoffs. He is pretty good in the regular season, but sux in the post season.

gap

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

He has worked with very little amount of talent alot of those seasons.He is a very hard nosed disciplined coach.He gets the most out of all his players regardless of their draft status or what have you.He runs the show theres no question about whos in control on his team and he makes sure every1 does there job and is accountable.He is a very good coach and i would love this addition i think hes exactly what we need.We have a couple good players to build around off and def,Long,JL,Quinn,Sam,SJ,Lloyd,Stewart,i likes salas and pettis we just need to get some dbs a WR and O line needs to play like last year which under him will perform.I think he fits what we need exactly and im pulling for him to land this job all day.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39WillRunYaOva View Post
    He has worked with very little amount of talent alot of those seasons.He is a very hard nosed disciplined coach.He gets the most out of all his players regardless of their draft status or what have you.He runs the show theres no question about whos in control on his team and he makes sure every1 does there job and is accountable.
    Fair enough... but in my mind part of what you said works against him. He runs the show and was the man for 17 years but had little talent? To me this implies that he either drafted poorly or made bad free agent decisions.

I will agree that we need a disciplined coach who can squeeze all the football he can out of our lemons.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    I've never really followed the man as a coach other than when the Rams beat the Titans in the Super Bowl. Why do I see his name getting tossed around like he could be the savior of our franchise? Just a quick glance at his record and in 17 seasons he had 6 winning seasons and 5 8-8 seasons. I don't see anything really special about that.

Can anyone enlighten me as to why he's so good? Not trying to start an argument - I really just don't know enough about the guy. I'll admit he's better than what we have atm though...
    I selected him because he's a proven HC with an emphasis on defense and he's able to to get the most out of his players. His record doesn't show that he guided teams that were projected to have losing records and got them into playoff contention or the playoffs. As you say, better than we have ATM. There are no absolute guaranteed winners out there, but if I had to select a new HC, JF would be my pick. I have to admit I still hope we can save Spags and just get the right players for him and better coaches under him.

Go Rams!

Go Rams!

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    Schottenheimer is OK if you want 1 and done in the playoffs. He is pretty good in the regular season, but sux in the post season.

gap
    Which would be better than going 8-8 with Fisher. Fisher really has just been an average coach over his career.

DeaconJ is offline Registered User

He's the head coach du jour? Personally, I'd like to see thought given to some of the highly successful college head coaches out there. That approach didn't hurt the ****.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
    He's the head coach du jour? Personally, I'd like to see thought given to some of the highly successful college head coaches out there. That approach didn't hurt the ****.
    That's a risky path. Look what happened with Nick Sabin. Some guys are better suited for the college game. The pro's are a whole other can of worms.

Go Rams!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39WillRunYaOva View Post
    He has worked with very little amount of talent alot of those seasons.He is a very hard nosed disciplined coach.He gets the most out of all his players regardless of their draft status or what have you.He runs the show theres no question about whos in control on his team and he makes sure every1 does there job and is accountable.He is a very good coach and i would love this addition i think hes exactly what we need.We have a couple good players to build around off and def,Long,JL,Quinn,Sam,SJ,Lloyd,Stewart,i likes salas and pettis we just need to get some dbs a WR and O line needs to play like last year which under him will perform.I think he fits what we need exactly and im pulling for him to land this job all day.
    Well stated. This has been my choice all along. Jeff Fisher is a tough competitor who was pretty successful with teams that did not feature many superstars. His hard-nosed, blue collar approach is a needed fit on a team that lacks physical toughness. That he lasted in Tennessee for as long as he did is a testament to his ability. He is considered a no nonsense guy, yet was liked by his players. Of the guys with head coaching experience who would consider coming here, I believe he is the best choice.

I've always liked Marty Schottenheimer, and in fact suggested him when Linehan was fired. But he is 70 years old, and I don't know that in this stage of the game where long-term stability is needed, Marty is the right fit.
    39WillRunYaOva likes this.

Any chance we would be able to get Cowher?

39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User

^^^^Idk but just like fisher i would certainly welcome Cowher just as much if not more honestly.

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

has he won a superbowl??????????

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Marty Schottenheimer was a better HC than Jeff Fisher, IMO. Marty is only five coaches in NFL history with 200 or more regular-season victories, and he ranks third all-time with 13 playoff appearances. But he has the fifth worst record in the playoffs for HC's with 100 or more regular season wins.

This was because he was thought of as an "overachiever" with just average talented team. This was especially true on the offensive side when with the Browns, Chiefs, and Chargers. His defensive teams were opportunistic that had a knack for causing turnovers and scoring on those turnovers. Success with these kinds of teams usually translate well in the regular season, especially in a weak division, but not so much during the playoffs. It's hard to beat more talented teams in a playoff atmosphere with a spotty, mediocre offense and relying on the defense to score.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast