Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Why move Witherspoon?

It seems like a done deal reading all of the posts but I guess I missed the announcement. Are we definitely moving him away from MLB? I just looked it up and he is the same height and weight as Antonio Pierce so I need some schooling on why the change?

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Why move Witherspoon?

I think Spoon is actually lighter than listed. Ditto for Pisa. Spoon is our best LB,imo, anywhere he plays. It's that his quickness,sure open field tackling, and decent cover skills would have greater impact at WILL, not that he's necessarily too small/weak for MLB.

I don't believe a better MLB has to be Super Thug, especially if the DL gets bigger & stouter-the main problem, imo. wasn't Kris Jenkins in front of him when Spoon played well at MLB for Carolina? In replacement for another guy,Morgan, who was also probably 20lbs too light for the position longterm.Morgan played the spot well,though, but paid with his drum-beaten skull.

Devaney has said in interviews that Spoon is probably not naturally suited to MLB & needs to move. I hesitate to use quotation marks but I think that's close to verbatim. He didn't say to WILL or that it would definitely happen. I don't think that would be his call,anyway, except in how he targets LB acquisitions. Spags hadn't been hired when he said it...I think..

In any case, it's a classically annoying Ram predicament because Pisa is probably our next best LB who is also best suited to WILL.

Sigh....Leonard the FB,Crouch the WR, Martz the HC, Cogs the center, Limpehan the leader,TEs by the dozen......

All the way back to Georgia the owner, it's a time-honored tradition that could be nicely broken here.

It's hardly what I want to pin my season hopes on but I think Spags/Flajole will get more out of the LBs across the board "as is", inc some bit players like Larry Grant & the so far diappointing Culberson.Still, why not solidify one spot with Spoon so you're not trying to fit a BPA LB square peg into a round hole ?

I do think we'll go LB big time in the draft somehow.I'd rather it be a couple of solid mid-rounders than Curry but that's just me & my OT.

As I've said before, the one thing I don't want to see is Mr Irrelevant starting a game at MLB.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -03-06-2009 at 03:07 AM.

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

Well Pierce is listed at 6'1" 238 but I can almost assure you he's atleast 245lbs...not only that . witherspoon is in better shape and have a more lean body. as to where Pierce has more body fat, making him seem stockier. but anyway witherspoon is tough and did a good job at MLB...but when it cames to 230+ lbs of RB's, FB's and TE's he shoe string tackles. and we need a fearlest Stumper in the Middle! a 6'2" or 6'3" 250+ pounder
    Last edited by rams 24/7; -03-06-2009 at 03:15 AM.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

I'm not sure about the whole formal announcement thing either, but the move is warranted.
    Some players just perform better at a certain position and i think that is the case for spoon.
    Sure he has been our best LB since he arrived, but if you watch the tape you can tell that he is uncomfortable being the force in the middle because of his size.
    I'm not certain on this, but i believe he has stated in the past that he would LOVE to move back to weakside,
    Anyone have the facts?

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Witherspoon is a nice middle linebacker. Unfortunately, he gets eaten up by big bodies a little too often to be that true wrecking ball you want in the middle ...

In a nutshell, at MLB, Witherspoon is probably slightly less than a Pro Bowl performer ...

If move to WLB, I think Witherspoon will, rightfully so, prove to be one of the best WLB in the league ...

HornIt is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Witherspoon is a nice middle linebacker. Unfortunately, he gets eaten up by big bodies a little too often to be that true wrecking ball you want in the middle ...

In a nutshell, at MLB, Witherspoon is probably slightly less than a Pro Bowl performer ...

If move to WLB, I think Witherspoon will, rightfully so, prove to be one of the best WLB in the league ...
    I agree. One of the problems is that he clearly wears down as the season progresses in the middle.

Some people get too caught up in height and weight measurements but those aren't always current and accurate to begin with, and they don't tell you how that weight is distributed either.

The distribution is a big factor. Body type in other words. WW has an athletic build with long legs, high waist line and shorter torso. Smaller, lighter guys, like London Fletcher for example, are built better for the position. Low center of gravity and thicker all around.

WW simply isn't built right for the MLB position. He's very active and good going sideline to sideline but not as good at tacking on Guards, shedding and plugging gaps between the Tackles. I think we saw just how he should be used during the last half of the 07' season when Haslett had him lining up on the edge and used him to rush the passer as well as drop into coverage. He was really effective doing that.

WILL is where he belongs IMO. I can't wait for them to put him back there.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Don't tell any of the Curry-heads,HornIt, but wasn't Fletcher an undrafted free agent?

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Fletcher also played at a no name College sir, Curry is and will be a stud in the NFL like Ray Lewis or Jon Beason. He just has that "IT" characteristic

I like Curry a lot, but I'm not sure he's going to be Ray Lewis in the middle. He's never really played the middle.

With Curry I think you're at least getting an outstanding SAM, but with the #2 pick overall? When was the last time a LB was picked that high?

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    I like Curry a lot, but I'm not sure he's going to be Ray Lewis in the middle. He's never really played the middle.

With Curry I think you're at least getting an outstanding SAM, but with the #2 pick overall? When was the last time a LB was picked that high?
    We passed up Troy Polamalu for Jimmy Kennedy because in the war room
    people said it was to high of a pick to draft a saftey.

We got to live and learn.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post

And we really don't need an elite athlete to play MLB. We need someone bigger and more powerful there that can be a force in the box. Witherspoon has so much range it's ridiculous, as long as we can free him up ...

jbell15 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post

I could not agree more bro.
    Took the words right out of my mouth

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I can answer the London Fletcher (moment of silence) question. He was an undrafted free agent from John Carroll. He was the heart and soul of the Rams defense as most MLB's are and his departure is the worst thing that has ever happened to the St. Louis Rams.

Spoon is much more effective on the edges, using his speed in coverage or in blitz packages. If the Rams don't go with Curry or get a FA, then rumor has it Culberson has a shot at the spot and that concerns me. I was excited about his special teams play but when he was on the field as a LB last year he was disappointing.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -03-06-2009 at 04:53 PM.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Spoon is much more effective on the edges, using his speed in coverage or in blitz packages. If the Rams don't go with Curry or get a FA, then rumor has it Culberson has a shot at the spot and that concerns me. I was excited about his special teams play but when he was on the field as a LB last year he was disappointing.
    It's also been said (by Jim Thomas, I think) that if the Rams don't draft or sign a MLB, Chris Draft will get a chance to man that position. Either way, Witherspoon is moving outside. I wouldn't mind Culberson getting a shot as I think he has the size for it, even though he was disappointing when given a chance to start last season.

The problem with the Rams the last few years (actually, since Lovie came and Fletcher left) is that they have had weakside-type linebackers fill up almost the entire corps. Tommy Polley, Tinoisamoa, Robert Thomas, Will Witherspoon, Chris Draft, etc.

I'm not as worried about Curry's transition to middle linebacker as others. If he were a smallish weakside linebacker, I would be, but he's played the strongside which requires more size and ability to shed blocks (and Curry is excellent at that). These players typically have an easier time moving to the middle (one example being Stewart Bradley for the Eagles last season) than WLBs who are used to playing in space.

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post

Well, that's not really how it happened though.

Kennedy had fallen to where he was thought to be a steal at #10. Plus, the Rams had just spent a 1st round pick on Archuleta, a Safety, two years prior. He was a starter and a leading tackler and coming off a season that many thought was a Pro Bowl season.

Again, it's not just the Rams who don't draft LB's that high. Nobody does.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast