Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Judaxi is offline Registered User

Why no love for OJ?

On this site and alot of other sites I see alot of people saying we should draft Berry, or not to resign Atogwe. I even saw someone suggest moving Quincy Butler to FS. I don't understand where all the love for Atogwe is. This is a Ball Hawking saftey who creates alot of opportunity. The one bright spot on our defense for a while, and has an amazing attitude. Not to mention he has been snubbed out of a long term contract for the past two years even though statistacly he is the best FS in the NFL the past 4 years. Yeah he got injured this year, but that doesn't happen to him that often. This guy has gone to war for us many times and come out succesfull, I say we give him the contract he deserves and watch him pick passes and strip ball carriers like a mad man.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Why no love for OJ?

I've seen one person regularly advocate for Berry on this site, and I'm not sure I've seen anyone say we shouldn't try to retain Atogwe. I think you're probably preaching more to the choir here than you would be elsewhere, though I do think Atogwe had a bit of a down season in 2009.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Atogwe is surely the future of our defensive backs. He will be around for years to come........ hopefully.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I think people saw that he didnt have as many picks as he did the season before, and think he has lost it.

But quite frankly teams just werent throwing much to where he was. When you can attack James Butler or Craig Dhal with a pass, why throw at Atogwe

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I think people saw that he didnt have as many picks as he did the season before, and think he has lost it.

But quite frankly teams just werent throwing much to where he was. When you can attack James Butler or Craig Dhal with a pass, why throw at Atogwe
    Exactly. he was a blanket safety this year. Balls were not being thrown his way. The rest of that secondary is so bad, why not attack them every play?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I've seen one person regularly advocate for Berry on this site, and I'm not sure I've seen anyone say we shouldn't try to retain Atogwe. I think you're probably preaching more to the choir here than you would be elsewhere, though I do think Atogwe had a bit of a down season in 2009.
    Exactly Nick, The lack of positive or negative comments concerning Atogwe here at the Clan suggests to me that he's a lock to be back for 2010 and we want him back.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    agree with every word.

be better off asking the people who actually make those comments Judaxi, than those that don`t.

Judaxi is offline Registered User

Im glad to see such a positive response to keeping OJ. Maybe I just keep reading the same peoples posts and thought more people were against him than actually were. Once again though happy to see that I'm not the only one who appreciates him.

Ramone is offline Registered User

On the day of draft 2005, I was yelling to draft James Butler in third and when we picked Atogwe, I was bit dissapointed. Man, what a fool I was.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

I could see Atogwe being let go if a longterm deal isn't reached. If The Rams have to pay him about $6.5 mill for next year, I'm not sure DeSpags will feel he's worth it over Dahl who played decently in OJ's absence, is younger, and is a Spags NYG's guy.

That's a guess based on the DeSpags personnel MO & the business realities of the NFL. Nothing to do with sentiment either way.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

atogwe's an excellent talent and great guy, but berry is an elite talent that could be one of the best defensive backs in the league in a few years. oj isn't quite on that level, but just below it, so i see where the idea comes from but picking berry is probably not realistic.

FestusRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by molar_pistol View Post
    atogwe's an excellent talent and great guy, but berry is an elite talent that could be one of the best defensive backs in the league in a few years .
    Key Word= Could

Berry could be one of the best in a few years.

Im not ready to wait a few years for a guy that could be good when we already have Atogwe.

Atogwe is already one of the best safeties in the league so using the number one pick on another safety would be crazy, in my opinion, they need to re-sign him. If they didnt, Berry would just be another young player on this very young defense. We need atleast one proven player and Atogwe is exactly that.

TheRammer Guest

I'm all for resigning MR OJ! I actually love watching him play and seeing him usually around the ball and trying to punch or slap it out of the opposing teams hands lol When I do get a chance to see the rams play I always keep my eye on him..I think we'd be foolish not to sign him to a long term deal this year.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'd be shocked if the team didn't make a bona fide effort to re-sign a player who is clearly one of the best on the defense and in his prime.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I could see Atogwe being let go if a longterm deal isn't reached. If The Rams have to pay him about $6.5 mill for next year, I'm not sure DeSpags will feel he's worth it over Dahl who played decently in OJ's absence, is younger, and is a Spags NYG's guy.

That's a guess based on the DeSpags personnel MO & the business realities of the NFL. Nothing to do with sentiment either way.
    The Rams project to be $30-$40 million under the cap if there is one next season. In that context $6.5 million for one year really isn't a deal breaker.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast