Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why not??

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Why not??

Why not allow Cliff Ryan to play a little O? Crazy? Maybe, but maybe not .. I would love to see Cliff line up at FB in goal line situations as he has a low center of gravity for a guy weighing 310 + lbs. I am sure he would relish the opportunity - particularly if he got to carry thie rock once or twice .. I have no doubt he could splatter 260 lb linebackers and would also be effective against opposing D linemen in a short area .. Thoughts??

MASSIVE Guest

Thumbs down Re: Why not??

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Why not allow Cliff Ryan to play a little O? Crazy? Maybe, but maybe not .. I would love to see Cliff line up at FB in goal line situations as he has a low center of gravity for a guy weighing 310 + lbs. I am sure he would relish the opportunity - particularly if he got to carry thie rock once or twice .. I have no doubt he could splatter 260 lb linebackers and would also be effective against opposing D linemen in a short area .. Thoughts??
    If he starts @ NT then he gets hurt playing FB what would we do? It would leave a big hole in our D-line and our D-line sucks as it is.

Re: Why not??

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    If he starts @ NT then he gets hurt playing FB what would we do? It would leave a big hole in our D-line and our D-line sucks as it is.
    I'm talking maybe 2 or 3 plays a game max. You can't play "afraid". Cliff has a far greater chance of being injured playing nose tackle where he is repeatedly taking on multiple behemoth blockers on any given play. If given the opportunity, I'll bet he would relish the opportunity to squash a linebacker or two now and then - let alone being tossed a bone once or twice and score a td himself.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I wouldn't mind him blocking, but the last thing I want is a DT carrying the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    I wouldn't mind him blocking, but the last thing I want is a DT carrying the ball.
    I'm not so sure we'd have to worry all that much. He'd be lucky to get one or two carries in an entire year. That fact would not be lost on Cliff .. I'd imagine he'd be holding on to the rock pretty tight .. Heck the "Fridge" held on ok when he got his chances ..

Mooselini Guest

It would be quite interesting. I would love to see him level a few LB's. haha

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Refrigerator Ryan? Hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Refrigerator Ryan? Hmmmmm
    How about "Road Grader Ryan" ...?

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

in certain situations...e.g we playing the vikes and we 3rd and goal on the one yard line...id prefer to have Ryan trying to smash past the Williams`s (be it, lead blockin` or with the rock) than Leonard,even if its just to cause the D to pause a lil and and give Jax that extra spilt second!

maineram Guest

Yes, why not. A must need 3rd down or an at the goal line for a needed TD would be great.

Let's hope the sophmore slump doesn't get him first.

Maineram -

Chris58 is offline Registered User

How about "Road Grader Ryan" ...?
    How about Ryan's Express?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Not a fan of the idea. I'd like to see him gain more time on the defensive line towards potentially becoming a starter there. If we need a lead blocker, let's go find one. Asking a young player trying to grow at his current position to take on the added responsibility of switching sides for an occasional package does not seem to have many benefits in my eyes. Rather, the costs could be worse. If he gets hurt playing in some cute offensive package, the pitchforks and torches will be out quickly. I simply don't see what's to gain here.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

How about using Claude Wroten as FB. Saunders can tell him to visualize the opposing D line as the door to his ex-girlfriend's apartment.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    How about using Claude Wroten as FB. Saunders can tell him to visualize the opposing D line as the door to his ex-girlfriend's apartment.
    A sure TD everytime!

As for my man Ryan, interesting idea, even tempting. But I'd rather see him continue his development as DT; he's done well there and seems promising. Personally, I've been too excited about CR as one of our hopeful DL to see him switch positions temporarily.

I doubt Coach Haslett would welcome the invitation.

MASSIVE Guest

I'm talking maybe 2 or 3 plays a game max. You can't play "afraid". Cliff has a far greater chance of being injured playing nose tackle where he is repeatedly taking on multiple behemoth blockers on any given play. If given the opportunity, I'll bet he would relish the opportunity to squash a linebacker or two now and then - let alone being tossed a bone once or twice and score a td himself.
    Play "afraid"- I don't really understand what your trying to say. If he gets hurt on that "one play" then the D-line is going to suffer. The risks far outweigh the rewards if you ask me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast