Rambos is offline Registered User

Why not keep him?

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/14/2008

MEQUON, WIS. Justin Medlock knows he can play in this league. He already has. After achieving All-American status at UCLA, Medlock was a fifth-round draft pick by Kansas City in 2007, pretty high ground for a kicker.

But after missing one of two field goals in the Chiefs' season opener, Medlock was cut.

"It was just a really messed-up situation," Medlock recalled. "Mentally I wasn't there. ... They had a short leash, and that's just how it works in this business."

Medlock subsequently turned down offers to join practice squads in Kansas City and Cleveland. He also had tryouts with Atlanta, Detroit and Pittsburgh.

"I don't know, my head was just not in it at that point," he said.

Signed by the Rams in February, Medlock appeared to get the break of his career a few weeks later when Jeff Wilkins announced his retirement on the first day of the free agency period.

"I came back from the gym and (heard) Wilkins had retired," Medlock said. "I was like, 'Oh cool.' I told my mom I might have a good shot, just because I knew that there weren't that many (kickers) on the market."

In fact, Medlock figured he could beat out anybody the Rams might bring in but Seattle free agent Josh Brown.

Ooops! By the end of that same day, Brown was en route to St. Louis to sign a contract. Medlock asked for his release. The Rams said: no way.

"But once Josh came around, I was like, 'You know what? Let's just make the best of this. Learn. Get better,' " Medlock said.

Medlock, a lefty, has kicked well in training camp. His only action in the preseason opener against Tennessee was the second-half kickoff, which sailed into the end zone for a touchback. But no matter what Medlock does on the practice field or in exhibition play, he is the longest of long shots in Rams camp this year.

With the first cutdown day fast approaching (Aug. 26), Medlock knows his days are numbered with the Rams. He will not beat out Brown, who became the highest-paid place-kicker in NFL history when he signed a five-year, $14.2 million deal March 1.

"This thing's motivating," Medlock said. "One day, I hope I can say, 'You bought a guy for $14 million when you could've gotten me for free.' We'll see what happens."

A look at some other roster long shots
    If you seen the game last week, he kicked the ball so deep! So why not have him kick off, if he could rip it like that week in and week out it would be worth it.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Why not keep him?

I would hope there are more important things we can do with a roster spot than carry a second kicker.

*waits for a tight end joke*

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

How many tight ends does it take to screw a kicker out of a roster spot?

11. One to make the team and the other ten to "clinch"!
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I would hope there are more important things we can do with a roster spot than carry a second kicker.

*Waits for a tight end joke*

Honest to goodness, exactly what I had in mind (sans TE laugher)! ...E.g., our secondary.

Rambos is offline Registered User

How many tight ends does it take to screw a kicker out of a roster spot?

11. One to make the team and the other ten to "clinch"!
    Funny

I would take one kicker that could make a team drive 80 yards over four TE's watching from the sidelines.

Josh Guest

I say we move Justin to Guard!!! you can never have to Many quality GUards

* major Joke*