Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Why not at least practice some no huddle?

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Re: Why not at least practice some no huddle?

The president is from Chicago.

Oh my!

Kiss my ass, football gods

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Everything is VANILLA!!! We want Chocolate!!!!

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

The Cardinals game is extremely important, based on the first 4 games of the schedule, so I understand a certain amount of covertness to our plays this year. However, there is a point where being prepared to execute plays come game 1 is even more important. Our offense has sucked for 7 straight years and I seriously doubt we have some sleeping giant of an offense that we are going to "flip the switch on" come game 1.

My guess is we do not yet have an extensive number of plays set up for this new offense, so we can not show them. This may get us by for game 1 or 2, but ultimately you have to show up and execute plays based on outplaying the guy on the other side of you.

I think this young team needs to practice these plays in real time, and the extent that Fisher is trying to hide our plays could very well cost us. I really don't want to find myself upset in the first game when the offense looks out of sink. I hope I am wrong.

After last years improvement, and his consistency, I know we all have begun to appreciate a coach like Fisher relative to the previous bunch of losers, but he hasn't exactly won 3 superbowls (or any), so I'll reserve putting all my faith in every move he makes as if he knows exactly how to get there.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    The Cardinals game is extremely important, based on the first 4 games of the schedule, so I understand a certain amount of covertness to our plays this year. However, there is a point where being prepared to execute plays come game 1 is even more important. Our offense has sucked for 7 straight years and I seriously doubt we have some sleeping giant of an offense that we are going to "flip the switch on" come game 1.

My guess is we do not yet have an extensive number of plays set up for this new offense, so we can not show them. This may get us by for game 1 or 2, but ultimately you have to show up and execute plays based on outplaying the guy on the other side of you.

I think this young team needs to practice these plays in real time, and the extent that Fisher is trying to hide our plays could very well cost us. I really don't want to find myself upset in the first game when the offense looks out of sink. I hope I am wrong.

After last years improvement, and his consistency, I know we all have begun to appreciate a coach like Fisher relative to the previous bunch of losers, but he hasn't exactly won 3 superbowls (or any), so I'll reserve putting all my faith in every move he makes as if he knows exactly how to get there.
    I'm with you on blind faith but I see more reason than madness in Fisher's pre-season approach. I don't think the vanilla is about deception; it's about repping the basics with a bunch of greenhorns so they can get up to literal & mental speed. The problems have been about basic execution, not blandness,imo. That only gets fixed with more reps,no ? Making those reps successful with match-ups and scheme obscure whether these guys can do their ABCs before the game speeds up for real.

And then there's fact that the pass offense, based on a small sample so far admittedly, is light years better than last year. 289.5 yds per game versus 178.2 yds last year. 8.1 yds per attempt vs 6.5 yds. Already 11 plays of 20+ yds vs 10 in 4 pre-games last year. And all that with multiple auditions going on at RB and an OL rotation that is less than ideal.

No idea if we are looking at a sleeping giant here but it's not the wobbly toddler of last season so far, maybe more a gawky teenager who had a growth spurt over the summer & is trying to learn how to use his new-found athleticism without hurting his confidence and protecting his health.
    renrawtruk likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I'm with you on blind faith but I see more reason than madness in Fisher's pre-season approach. I don't think the vanilla is about deception; it's about repping the basics with a bunch of greenhorns so they can get up to literal & mental speed. The problems have been about basic execution, not blandness,imo. That only gets fixed with more reps,no ? Making those reps successful with match-ups and scheme obscure whether these guys can do their ABCs before the game speeds up for real.
    It also provides Jeff, Schotty, & Tim insights as how to design schemes. that emphasize our offensive and defensive personnel strengths, while helping to disguise their weaknesses. You make a good point that Fish & crew want to evaluate them straight up, not scheme assisted. In so doing it no doubt helps them to make the critical decisions as to who makes the final roster.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    No idea if we are looking at a sleeping giant here but it's not the wobbly toddler of last season so far, maybe more a gawky teenager who had a growth spurt over the summer & is trying to learn how to use his new-found athleticism without hurting his confidence and protecting his health.
    A gawky teenager huh .. I like your analogy. Sure we are all hoping for the sleeping giant, and we do appear to have progressed from the "wobbly toddler." So gawky teen is reasonable.

Rambos is offline Registered User

QB Sam Bradford

(On the play of the first offensive unit tonight)
    “I thought we did some good things tonight. We had a great series in just our normal no huddle offense. It was nice to move the ball. We’d like to convert and get a touchdown, but points are always good. Other than that, we tried to get some reps of our two-minute offense in, but I think that’s just going to take some time. It’s going to take some work, but overall some pretty positive stuff tonight.”

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    QB Sam Bradford

(On the play of the first offensive unit tonight)
    “I thought we did some good things tonight. We had a great series in just our normal no huddle offense. It was nice to move the ball. We’d like to convert and get a touchdown, but points are always good. Other than that, we tried to get some reps of our two-minute offense in, but I think that’s just going to take some time. It’s going to take some work, but overall some pretty positive stuff tonight.”
    I think you highlighted the wrong word there Rambos. So, the no huddle is "normal"?
    This space for rent...

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

The first two games Rams played horrible defense couldn't tackle. Everyone said oh it's the Vanilla offense and defense. last night it was still a Vanilla O and D, but there was much better play from both sides.

Listen Fisher is not showing anything right now, that D, was so basic yet they held Payton Manning. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If you thought about Cel phones having video. Wouldn't you think a coach would have thought about it. They know people cheat in this league, they're not gonna show anything at practice besides the basics.

MACD is offline Registered User

As an aside I think it was interesting to see Denver take the no-huddle to the extreme. There's no way they're going to keep that 1st half pace up for a whole half in the regular season. So in a way, they're hiding their real offensive pace while at the same time getting extreme practice on the up-tempo offense. Different coach, different stroke. In Fisher I trust.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12