Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Why are people so sure Bulger is set in stone as starter?

I for one do not believe that Bulger is set in stone as starter. Could he start for us next season? Obviously, but do any of us really know that? Boller was brought in, he's a younger QB with a rifle arm, good mobility and only average accuracy. As Bernie pointed out in his bits, during the time that Brian Billick was in Baltimore, they went through a lot of Quarterbacks, and all put up the same numbers and Boller never really had a good supporting cast outside of Lewis (for about a season), Odgen and Heap.

Boller never had that go to guy, or that supporting cast that a rookie needs to have to succeed and progress in this league. And some still feel that he could become a decent Quarterback if he is given the chance in new scenery. Bulger has been known to be fragile and injury prone, and he does take a lot of hits as well. And I feel that if given the chance, Boller could succeed with us. He's still got some untapped talent, he was as you know, drafted high in the draft so there are certain aspects of his game that he can still be coached to use well.

But not back to the post title, why do some of you folks feel as if Bulger is set in stone as the starter? If he was set in stone, and the staff was comfortable with him, why would there be speculation that we could draft a QB at #2, or even bring in a young Quarterback who has had some success, and that can still improve his game and become a good Quarterback?

Also, Spagnuolo has stated that if a player comes in and doesn't play well, or play with a good attitude that he'll sub in the spot, Bulger hasn't ever played with a great attitude and the past few seasons hasn't played well. I for one, do not believe Bulger is set in stone at Quarterback, and come training and mini camp, we could have a camp Quarterback battle. Bulger was extended before Spagnuolo got here, so I'd think Spagnuolo would put contract sizes aside and play whoever practices the best and grasps the offense better. Which, Boller came from a run heavy offense as well in Baltimore.

RamsFan16

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Re: Why are people so sure Bulger is set in stone as starter?

Bulger has indeed had a couple poor years, but I don't think Kyle Boller is a threat to his position as a starter. The picture you painted of Boller makes him almost sound like a victim who never had a chance to succeed in Baltimore. But I think in reality, he is a QB that hasn't (and probably wont) live up to his first round status. They thought they had a better chance of winning games with a washed up Steve McNair than they did with Boller, and they traded up to grab Joe Flacco in the first round last year. It seems to me that what they saw in Boller was not a QB that would be able to lead the team to the promised land.

I do agree he probably has some untapped potential and he should make for a nice backup, but I think you are short changing Bulger here. Bulger has had a couple down years but 3 years ago he was a Pro Bowl QB. Unlike Boller, Bulger has proven in the past that he is capable of being one of the better quarterbacks in the league. The whole team last year sucked, not just Bulger, and with the new regime in place I think Bulger will improve in leaps and bounds.

I don't know if I agree with your comment about Bulger not having a great attitude. It seems like he is the first player to report every offseason, he has played with injuries, he doesn't point the finger at the teams struggles, he was professional about it when he was benched. I don't think because he rolled his eyes at Scott Linehan once that his attitude needs to be questioned. If Scott Linehan had a nickle for every time somebody rolled their eyes at his brilliant "coaching" he would be able to buy his own football team, install himself as a head coach, and hold that position down for the rest of his life. I'm sure Bulger was frustrated and that was his reaction. But we have a new coaching staff which Bulger seems to be embracing and a new system which should play well to his strengths. So I do believe that Bulger is set in stone as a starter. Any talk about drafting a QB at #2 is smoke and trade bait.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Boller has a 1 year Deal, why Bulger is working with 61 mil or so. If they thought Boller was the long term answer as a starter they probably would have given him more than a year deal. To me all Boller means is backup to develop a franchise guy.

Drafting a QB second overall Bulger is most likely still starting so that kid can develop. Also that may be just a Smoke screen because Sanchez is hot right now.

You keep focussing on Bulger's past. Spags is going to give him a new begening and the ability to rebound. Every single player who was on this roster durring the Linehan era needs to rebound. It makes no sense to me to let everyone rebound except for one of the most important people on the team. Also when it comes to grasping the offense Bulger is more accurate and Boller has never really been a great decision maker which is essential in the WCO.

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

He has a 2 year Deal...Not 1

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rams 24/7 View Post
    Big whup....1 year, 2 year...either way he is not seen as the QB of the future. He is only a Ram because it's a good idea to have a backup QB, and Gus Frerotte turned out to be unacceptable after all, and we don't want to throw a rookie to the wolves.

/I still don't understand why Stafford and Sanchez are seen as potential Messiahs to franchises. Stafford never played that way in college, and history is against Sanchez.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nibiru2012 View Post
    Because QB's are the most important position on the field, and this is a copycat league, with the success of Matt Ryan and Joe flacco last year it has put more hype into this years 1st round QB class. Don't look to much into the " History is against him " on Sanchez either, He has rare qualities that don't come every year, I personally think he will succeed in the NFL, but I wouldn't go as far as calling him a " Messiah ".
    I bet Sanchez's rare qualities come up every year....simply because the Draftniks always praise the "top QBs" for possessing them.

The copycats tend to ignore that Ryan and Flacco had excellent supporting casts and teams built around them that were "user-friendly" for rookie QBs. In simplest terms....they typically didn't have to win games for the Falcons and the Ravens. Whenever an occasion came up that they did have to "win games," they didn't do so hot. The Rams lack the "user-friendly" support structure of these teams, and a rookie would have to "win games" every week. That sounds like a recipe for disaster and a broken, discouraged QB to me.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I for one do not believe that Bulger is set in stone as starter. Could he start for us next season? Obviously, but do any of us really know that? Boller was brought in, he's a younger QB with a rifle arm, good mobility and only average accuracy.
    You answered your own question, hoss.

You are absolutely right when you describe him as having.......a rifle arm, good mobility, and only average accuracy. The problem is that works completely against him in a WCO. The rifle arm is not as needed where as the average accuracy will be a challenge in this scheme.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

eldfan is offline Registered User

Bulger is the man for now I don't know if he will be for 2010 unless the Rans draft Sanchezs and it could change.
    :ramlogo:

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

My question is, absent some statement from Spagnuolo suggesting that Boller will compete for a starting job, why would you doubt that Bulger is set in stone as the starter?

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Good question...Bulger is our man, but in no way is his, nor anyone elses, job set in stone..Boller's deal tells us he's here to help Bulger as a young developing backup on a short term note, but ANYTHiNG can happen..Boller can do an excellent job filling in,in an event of an injury, or Bulger can keep sliding downhill losing his job to him(or someone else for that matter) On a side note, not to say Boller is the answer, but if Gus can leave here the way he did and have a winning record as a starter elsewhere, it'd be a mistake and ignorant to count Boller out..

RealRam is offline Registered User

This is probably one of those safe situations where "assuming" does not entail an asinine conclusion.

That is, one can surmize that chances are Bulger will remain at the helm of the offense under Coach Spags plans. And that's a LOT of planning!

a) Marc is not being traded.
    b) He should be very close to 100% healthy.
    c) Regrouping / refreshing of the OL as well as the WRs would revolve around MB; it only makes sense.

Bulger and the Rams have some unfinished business. And that's to get back into it this year and WIN!

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    I for one do not believe that Bulger is set in stone as starter. Could he start for us next season? Obviously, but do any of us really know that? Boller was brought in, he's a younger QB with a rifle arm, good mobility and only average accuracy. As Bernie pointed out in his bits, during the time that Brian Billick was in Baltimore, they went through a lot of Quarterbacks, and all put up the same numbers and Boller never really had a good supporting cast outside of Lewis (for about a season), Odgen and Heap.

Boller never had that go to guy, or that supporting cast that a rookie needs to have to succeed and progress in this league. And some still feel that he could become a decent Quarterback if he is given the chance in new scenery. Bulger has been known to be fragile and injury prone, and he does take a lot of hits as well. And I feel that if given the chance, Boller could succeed with us. He's still got some untapped talent, he was as you know, drafted high in the draft so there are certain aspects of his game that he can still be coached to use well.

But not back to the post title, why do some of you folks feel as if Bulger is set in stone as the starter? If he was set in stone, and the staff was comfortable with him, why would there be speculation that we could draft a QB at #2, or even bring in a young Quarterback who has had some success, and that can still improve his game and become a good Quarterback?

Also, Spagnuolo has stated that if a player comes in and doesn't play well, or play with a good attitude that he'll sub in the spot, Bulger hasn't ever played with a great attitude and the past few seasons hasn't played well. I for one, do not believe Bulger is set in stone at Quarterback, and come training and mini camp, we could have a camp Quarterback battle. Bulger was extended before Spagnuolo got here, so I'd think Spagnuolo would put contract sizes aside and play whoever practices the best and grasps the offense better. Which, Boller came from a run heavy offense as well in Baltimore.
    I understand there is little to talk about, so you are trying to drum up conversation, but why would you even think in the slightest that Bulger's job is available? Boller is going to be a journeyman backup for his entire career, perfect for what we need here

Nobody has indicated anything other than we are going with Bulger, and we are going to win with him ...
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -04-06-2009 at 03:24 PM.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    I understand there is little to talk about, so you are trying to drum up conversation, but why would you even think in the slightest that Bulger's job is available? Boller is going to be a journeyman backup for his entire career, perfect for what we need here

Nobody has indicated anything other than we are going with Bulger, and we are going to win with him ...
    Another thing is Boller appears to be plan B, with Ferotte having been plan A. I don't know the circumstances involved, but it appears we tried to get Gus first, and when that didn't work out, we went after Boller .. I doubt very much if Billy and Spags viewed Gus as providing legitimate competition for Marc, rather he would have provided a savvy veteran who could serve as Marc's backup. For whatever reason, the talks between Ferotte and the Rams fell apart. It seems clear though the Rams viewed Gus as a backup to Marc -- nothing more.Therefore if Boller was our second choice, what does that tell you?

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Another thing is Boller appears to be plan B, with Ferotte having been plan A. I don't know the circumstances involved, but it appears we tried to get Gus first, and when that didn't work out, we went after Boller .. I doubt very much if Billy and Spags viewed Gus as providing legitimate competition for Marc, rather he would have provided a savvy veteran who could serve as Marc's backup. For whatever reason, the talks between Ferotte and the Rams fell apart. It seems clear though the Rams viewed Gus as a backup to Marc -- nothing more.Therefore if Boller was our second choice, what does that tell you?
    I am sure Gus thought he was worth 3-4M a year after his run with Minnesota last year. No way he was going to get that kind of cheese here ...

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rams 24/7 View Post
    No Kevin Demoff said it was a 1 year deal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast