Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Special One is offline Registered User

Why as Ram fans, there's still reason to believe

Okay, there's no hiding from the fact that Sunday's "team" performance was as dreadful as any of us could imagine. After the huge disappointment of last year, it's easy to think that the Philly game was the sign of even worse things to come. I personally think we're getting way ahead of ourselves with the "Fire Linehan" talk only one game into the season. Even though it might be difficult to acknowledge right now, on talent alone, our Rams are by no means the worst team in the NFL. If anything, I look at the NFC West right now, and think that if only we made the most of the talent on the roster, we could be serious favorites to win what seems like a very, very mediocre division, especially now that Seattle are soon about to hit their decline.

One major problem we had going into the Eagles game, was lack of playing time for the team as a team. These guys hadn't played hardly at all together until the very first game of the year, and that's why we came out of the blocks flat and looking unprepared. I'm hoping that the first game was a hurdle that we needed to get over, and that the guys can put things right from here on out. Steven Jackson was also very rusty after his holdout and not playing in any meaningful games before, so there's every chance that he can have a big game at home against the Giants. The same goes for Bulger and Holt. If the offense can find some sort of continuity, I think we'll have a shot at winning games this year, especially with a healthy Orlando Pace. Although the defense was terrible on Sunday, our offense was arguably just as bad, with all of our first 10 offensive posessions resulting in punts. As long as we can put points on the board (and we have the capability to do it), I think we can at least stay with teams and even have a great shot to win if the defense can at least hold its own.

Basically, I think a wake up call like the Eagles game might not necessarily be the worst thing in the world. The coaching staff will have had a while to reflect and work to play a heck of a lot better this week, and the fact that we're at home can only help the cause. I think we should wait until the bye week to really judge the team's performance and that we've got to look at the Giants game as a fresh start and as a chance to put things right in front of a perhaps sell-out home crowd.

Lets hope Sunday can be a turning point in our season. There is still plenty of reason to believe.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: Why as Ram fans, there's still reason to believe

Absolutely superb post! Thanks!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Infiniti's right, that was an excellent post and I am one of many who overreacted to this loss, though I still stand by my sentiments to get rid of Linehan, because of soem of the comments he made after the game, notably his remark about getting "motivated by making plays" and the like. He took responsibility, but at the same time did not take responsibility for what I deem his only job this year.

But LeBulger, you are quite correct, it was only one game, and not even a division one. We have plenty of time to get it together, and the Giants of last year are a perfect model for us. A coach on his way out of town and a questioned QB. Maybe the team can rebound, maybe we can't. But there was a lot wrong this past weekend, and it will take a lot to correct it all. I hope we do.

btimsah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LeBulger View Post
    Okay, there's no hiding from the fact that Sunday's "team" performance was as dreadful as any of us could imagine. After the huge disappointment of last year, it's easy to think that the Philly game was the sign of even worse things to come. I personally think we're getting way ahead of ourselves with the "Fire Linehan" talk only one game into the season. Even though it might be difficult to acknowledge right now, on talent alone, our Rams are by no means the worst team in the NFL. If anything, I look at the NFC West right now, and think that if only we made the most of the talent on the roster, we could be serious favorites to win what seems like a very, very mediocre division, especially now that Seattle are soon about to hit their decline.

One major problem we had going into the Eagles game, was lack of playing time for the team as a team. These guys hadn't played hardly at all together until the very first game of the year, and that's why we came out of the blocks flat and looking unprepared. I'm hoping that the first game was a hurdle that we needed to get over, and that the guys can put things right from here on out. Steven Jackson was also very rusty after his holdout and not playing in any meaningful games before, so there's every chance that he can have a big game at home against the Giants. The same goes for Bulger and Holt. If the offense can find some sort of continuity, I think we'll have a shot at winning games this year, especially with a healthy Orlando Pace. Although the defense was terrible on Sunday, our offense was arguably just as bad, with all of our first 10 offensive posessions resulting in punts. As long as we can put points on the board (and we have the capability to do it), I think we can at least stay with teams and even have a great shot to win if the defense can at least hold its own.

Basically, I think a wake up call like the Eagles game might not necessarily be the worst thing in the world. The coaching staff will have had a while to reflect and work to play a heck of a lot better this week, and the fact that we're at home can only help the cause. I think we should wait until the bye week to really judge the team's performance and that we've got to look at the Giants game as a fresh start and as a chance to put things right in front of a perhaps sell-out home crowd.

Lets hope Sunday can be a turning point in our season. There is still plenty of reason to believe.
    The only thing I have hope that can change for the better is the offense. In fact I think they will. However, I have no reason to believe the defense will turn it around.

I'm sure Rams Infinity will bad mouth me for having such low expectations following a 38-3 loss. But something the sunshine pumpers seem to miss is that this team was horrible last year and in the opening game of this season we see the same thing, only worse. The reason I'm so harsh with this team is because I see so many bad teams in the NFL and it takes the fans a while to accept that fact that their team is in fact bad. That in turn is what leads an organization to fall so far off the wagon that it can take 10 years to get it turned around.

So while this post might excite a sunshine pumper, most of it is a lot of fantasy. In reality our front office and coaching staff are the sunshine pumpers. They live in a fantasy land of make believe. In their world, nobody has to prove anything, they just need to have talent and get injured. If you are supposed to have talent and get injured with this coaching staff - you'll be here at least 5 years. 5 years before anyone realizes they were never that talented to begin with.

So, there are still reasons to believe. Reasons to believe this organization cannot turn it around until they identify the problems.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Another reason to belive that there is something to believe is that it's only week one. We got our wake up call way early in the season. I'm sure Bulger is out there working hard trying to improve his game. He knows he was sloppy, so he will do waht it takes.

Our defense better step it up against the Giants. Just because they win with defense, their offense is still pretty powerful.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    The only thing I have hope that can change for the better is the offense. In fact I think they will. However, I have no reason to believe the defense will turn it around.
    Why do you believe that the defense will not turn it around? And while we're on the subject, what makes you think that the offense can/will?

WHAT SAY YE?

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

After watching the game tape , I feel there is room for optimism about the defense. Haslett clearly had the whole unit focussed on stopping Westbrook-understandable- but without Little to bring QB pressure and our DBs giving HUGE cushions to the Eagle WRs, we were extremely vulnerable to the pass & McNabb tore our guys up.

It's always hard to see what the defensive backfield looks like after the snap-the TV cameras stay on the LOS until a pass gets thrown- but I never saw a Rams DB try to impede an Eagle WR at the LOS-sheer suicide with small fast WRs and no QB pressure.

Whether Hill is a bust or a young star going through growing pains is hard to decide when he's repeatedly put at that kind of disadvantage.
    Do we really think Witherspoon will be a non-factor all year like he was on Opening Day?
    Carriker was double-teamed ALL game which left openings for LB/safety blitzes that Haz , for some reason, never seemed to use to our advantage.
    Apart from Chavous missing the tackle on Baskett which led to a TD, the tackling was generally crisp and sure.
    Lots of defensive hustle & heart from Hall and Long-and how about the kid playing most of the game with a broken finger ?
    Add to that the fact that the Eagles offense had a nearly flawless game.How often do you see consecutive punts downed inside the 5 yd line ? We forced fumbles on consecutive plays as well.Hall hustled over to drop Westbrook who fell on his own gaffe then Atogwe punched out the ball on the next play,only to see it go out of bounds.
    For all the poor execution on O-line blocking, the mental lapses (false starts), the poor blitz pick-ups by the RBs (Kreider,Pittman,and SJ all had their chance to whiff in the spotlight), the coaches let the team down even more.

Linehan's decision to defer on the coin toss was asinine.The only way to quiet a Philly crowd is to cut all their heads off. And Saunders playcall for the 3rd Q opening drive that we got from this decision was bewildering; a backwards pass ? Not the bold creativity we were expecting.
    If we can catch a break on Little's injury, the rest is fixable. Maybe not next week but by game 4 or 5 when the rust has been knocked off the players coming back from injury & the new pieces of the puzzle have had time to gel with their respective units, we have a chance to be competitive at a level far higher than the Philly game would indicate,IMHO.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

That was an excellent post. It gives a fresh perspective to things. I will say this that I am all in favor of firing Linehan and benching most of the starting line-up untill they can perform better but that's not realistic. This week will tell alot about this team, coaching staff, and organization. If they come out with some fire and emotion and still lose, at least they had some pride. But if they come out and lay another egg after the first couple of possesions then IMO all is lost until there is a regime change.

eldfan is offline Registered User

LeBulger "Lets hope Sunday can be a turning point in our season. There is still plenty of reason to believe. "

I hope you are right I so badly want to believe.
    :ramlogo:

moloch41 is offline Registered User

I agree that if we rebound this week and at least put up a game against the Giants, we can let out a collective sigh of relief, but if they come out with a repeat performance of last week, then you can pretty much write the season off. Because either our players and staff are a lot less talented then we were lead to believe or it's just that none of them actually give a flying f#%*!!! If proving the embarrassment of last week was just a fluke isn't enough to motivate them, then nothing will.

krist042 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    I agree that if we rebound this week and at least put up a game against the Giants, we can let out a collective sigh of relief, but if they come out with a repeat performance of last week, then you can pretty much write the season off. Because either our players and staff are a lot less talented then we were lead to believe or it's just that none of them actually give a flying f#%*!!! If proving the embarrassment of last week was just a fluke isn't enough to motivate them, then nothing will.
    If we have a repeat of last game, ever in the season, there is definitely something going on in the background. Either the players want Linehan gone, or they just decided that they could care less about the team and all they need to do is show up and get paid. Way too much talent on the St. Louis Rams for a repeat of last week.

btimsah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Why do you believe that the defense will not turn it around? And while we're on the subject, what makes you think that the offense can/will?

WHAT SAY YE?
    Because I don't believe we have the players (Talent) on defense to turn it around, nor do I believe Haslett has any ability to adjust his defense to help his players. Did I just read that the Rams are relying on Ron Bartell to cover better than Tye Hill? Is that comforting to anyone? RON BARTELL on PLAXICO BURRESS? Does anyone not see that we went into the 2008 season with the worst corner backs in football? God allmighty..

The offense on the other hand, does have some talent. I just think it depends on the opponent were facing and what they run as to whether our offensive line can block and Bulger can throw/find someone open.

That's what ye say.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    I'm sure Rams Infinity will bad mouth me for having such low expectations following a 38-3 loss. never that talented to begin with.

how many negative rep points have you got off him for being a realist?

i got one today..more should follow hopefully,cant see him "man-ing" up and accepting different points of views,anytime soon...

krist042 is offline Registered User

No, we don't have the worst corners, what about the 9ers? One thing the Rams do have the worst defensively is our linebacker set. Witherspoon is good, but not somebody you would build a defense around. And Culberson could be an upcoming star, but nobody knows yet.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Here's the reality. We actually don't need a win against the Giants, but we do need to play well and show that week 1 was an abberation.

The thought that the Eagles game "could be a good wake-up call" is just rediculous. Perhaps for a good team that needs to realize that they can't just show up and win, it would be a good kick in the @ss. But a team that went 0-8 the season before can only be psychologically damaged by a 38-3 pathetic @ss-beating in the opener. More likely the players and coaches thoughts at Rams camp are "here we go again!".

Only winning will cure this, and it may not happen against the SB Champs....but sure would be a nice rebound if they did.

The reason I believe this is not a must win is that Seattle and SF lost in week 1, and we play Seattle in week 3. That game is the must win! If we win that one, we are 1-0 in our division and Seattle is no better than 1-2. True, AZ could be out in front by then, but hopefully a win vs. Seattle and we're back in the hunt for the division. Plus, Seattle lost Burleson and Morris.

Need to play hard and show that we are not AAA vs. the Giants, and then we MUST BEAT THE SEAHAWKS!

GO RAMS!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast