Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Why the Rams' 5-year record means (virtually) nothing.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Why the Rams' 5-year record means (virtually) nothing.

I, for one, am getting a bit tired of reading about the Rams' record over the last five years.

We're all aware of the Rams' historically bad run over that time period, but I fail to see why that record needs to be cited every time this new team shows a bit of growing pains. As I've noted before, most of the 2012 Rams have been with the team far less than 5 years.

In fact... let's spell it out. Here is the list of the Rams who have been with the team for more than 3 years:

Steven Jackson - 8 years
    Chris Long - 4 years

So are these two the problem?

Of course not.

Most of the 2012 starters and rotation players will be rookies or players who were signed in the last two years.

I think its time to leave the past behind us.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Re: Why the Rams' 5-year record means (virtually) nothing.

Since two out of the last three years were the worst ever in Rams history maybe there is some relevance. They did look good yesterday though.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Emotional scars. They are going to be hard to erase so quickly. Winning will help the healing.

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    Since two out of the last three years were the worst ever in Rams history maybe there is some relevance. They did look good yesterday though.
    Even if you go back only 3 years, that only adds Amendola, J.Smith, Laurinaitis and B.Fletcher to the list of possible starters still with the team.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Until these organization starts winning games and puts together winning seasons the stench from the past 5 years will hang over it's head. Like it or not it is reality.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE View Post
    Until these organization starts winning games and puts together winning seasons the stench from the past 5 years will hang over it's head. Like it or not it is reality.
    No... like it or not, that's your opinion.

Its not my opinion.

Rambos is offline Registered User

The players are only one part of the equation the ownership over the last few years has been in a flux with the passing of Georgia Frontiere. Lucia Rodriguez and son Chip Rosenbloom taking over with no long term plans to keep the Rams. Stan Kroenke's first year was more or less a evaluation period,. This year after cleaning house he has more then given the Rams stability and a direction with a veteran head coach in Fisher, and his staff. Kroenke, Fisher, Les and Kevin Demoff are the reasons why I don't factor in the record of the last few years. This is truly a new regime not just a new head coach.

The Rams had been bad for years under the dysfunctional FO of Georgia Frontiere. Even when we where the greatest show the FO was a complete joke. Martz, Shaw and Co. was a circus. I believe once the rebuild is done this new regime will not fail it's fan base with ego and power trips.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    No... like it or not, that's your opinion.

Its not my opinion.
    And you know what they say about opinions, we all have one and they all stink.

But look I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but until this team proves it can win & win consistently the stench from the past will hang around. To look at it from another point of view, look at the hated niners, after winning all those years, that carried with them for a long time even when they were losing.
    I understand the past is the past & you may want to forget it but it will never be erased.

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE View Post
    And you know what they say about opinions, we all have one and they all stink.

But look I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but until this team proves it can win & win consistently the stench from the past will hang around. To look at it from another point of view, look at the hated niners, after winning all those years, that carried with them for a long time even when they were losing.
    I understand the past is the past & you may want to forget it but it will never be erased.
    That stuff is only true if you allow the national media and the most vocal fans to establish your reality.

I don't.

Truth is, the loudest fans and media members are as fickle as they come. If the Rams were to start this year by winning their first 4 games, I guarantee you that the internet would be overflowing with articles, blogs, tweets and message board posts singing the Rams' praises, discussing the team's "new era," and making bold predictions about the future.

My point is a simple one.

This Rams team has no track record, so I'm not going to worry about the recent past.
    Rammed likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

This Rams team has no track record, so I'm not going to worry about the recent past.
    Jeff Fishers biggest challenge is changing the losing attitude that hangs over our team. I believe he is the man that can get that done. We read and heard that Linehan and Spags were faced with the same challenge and they both failed. Fisher has the edge based on his "HEADCOACHING" experience.

It's not going to happen overnight (I hope it does) but I truly believe in my heart of hearts that we finally have the right man leading us. Also, as stated in this thread the majority of our roster hasn't had to endure that losing feeling over the past 5 years. Another plus for Fisher.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Not to take the easy way out, but I think there is validity to both trains of thought. On the one hand, yes- the past is the past and the 2012 team's chances for success have nothing to do with the performance of past teams, especially given the tremendous turnover in both players and staff. On the other hand, it is difficult to ask fans so accustomed to disappointment to completely shake the feeling of wondering when the other shoe will drop. BIG-BLUE's take is a valid one, in my opinion. Feelings of confidence and trust will become stronger as the team starts becoming successful.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

I don't know ... a lot of good things came from those seasons ... Bradford, Jenkins, Laurunaitis, Long, Brockers, Quinn.

Saffold and Smith may yet work out

There are a few more pieces to solidify this team and I won't pretend this is their year, but I really think that this team has a solid core.

I just don't see the point of blaming new ownership and management for previous regimes.

That stuff is only true if you allow the national media and the most vocal fans to establish your reality.

I don't.

Truth is, the loudest fans and media members are as fickle as they come. If the Rams were to start this year by winning their first 4 games, I guarantee you that the internet would be overflowing with articles, blogs, tweets and message board posts singing the Rams' praises, discussing the team's "new era," and making bold predictions about the future.

AV,
    I understand your point, I really do & I will stand with you, but the reality weather you want to believe it, buy into or whatever, is that this organization for the past five years has been down right embarrassing.This was not created by the media or a bunch of bandwagon fans, it's just the plain old facts. Now maybe there is a change a brewin with the 2012 team & I really hope so & want to buy into to it but it will take at least a full season to cleanse the stench that has been left behind.
    But I guess this is just my opinion & I'm sure the stench from that is as bad as the the previous 5 years.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Even if you go back only 3 years, that only adds Amendola, J.Smith, Laurinaitis and B.Fletcher to the list of possible starters still with the team.
    The make-up of the Rams entire roster except for a few free agents is a direct result of the W/L records of the Rams teams the last 5 years. That has a direct relevance.

I think what you're trying to say is just because those teams stunk doesn't mean the 2012 team will stink.

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    The make-up of the Rams entire roster except for a few free agents is a direct result of the W/L records of the Rams teams the last 5 years. That has a direct relevance.

I think what you're trying to say is just because those teams stunk doesn't mean the 2012 team will stink.
    Um... yeah... that's pretty much the point. The people who have been citing the record from 2007-2011 have done so in the context of saying "don't expect much from this team" or, even worse, "here we go again!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast