Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Why the Rams' 5-year record means (virtually) nothing.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Re: Why the Rams' 5-year record means (virtually) nothing.

To me it's like the 90's. After sufferering through terrible teams for close to a decade the Rams finally are getting all the pieces in place with high draft choices and adding some new pieces. It's too bad we didn't have Fisher all along to build the team. I see the 2012 Rams teams as being similar to the 1998 or 1999 teams. Not quite there but close.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-BLUE View Post
    AV,
    I understand your point, I really do & I will stand with you, but the reality weather you want to believe it, buy into or whatever, is that this organization for the past five years has been down right embarrassing.This was not created by the media or a bunch of bandwagon fans, it's just the plain old facts. Now maybe there is a change a brewin with the 2012 team & I really hope so & want to buy into to it but it will take at least a full season to cleanse the stench that has been left behind.
    But I guess this is just my opinion & I'm sure the stench from that is as bad as the the previous 5 years.
    Here's my question, how many of the management that made up the organization that put that record in the books, are still in place? Answer none. New Owner, Gm and Head coach.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Sure, this team is mostly made up of new players, a new owner, and we have new coaches, and with that new playbooks. so why can't we "forget" the past knowing that this team isn't the same team that played so poorly for so long? Why should that play a part in how the team plays this year? What does that have to do with the losing in the past?

Everything.

BECAUSE the Rams were so bad for so long, new pieces have had to be put in place. ...and BECAUSE of those crappy teams, built by that crappy organization, you cannot expect so many new pieces to come together in a single season and become instantly successful. It rarely, if ever happens overnight. So, even though the management and players that made up those five miserable years are no longer here, the results of their efforts (or lack thereof) is a new team full of new and inexperienced players which probably cannot compete with the more experienced and established teams which didn't go through the same five-year fiasco.

I understand what some are saying when they say this is a new year with a new team and new vision, that's why I think they can win as many as 6 games. But you can't say that the previous 5 years has nothing to do with this year's efforts. It does. The Rams of today are going to pay for the Rams of yesterday by fielding an inferior product because of the FO's inability to bring in enough talent for more than those five years. In a way, it was probably good for the Rams to hit rock bottom, rather than muddle through years of mediocrity. This might have been the only way for the Rams to totally retool and begin this healing process.

The Rams are finally headed in the right direction (I believe), but they will continue to pay for the past blunders of the FO for years to come.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Sure, this team is mostly made up of new players, a new owner, and we have new coaches, and with that new playbooks. so why can't we "forget" the past knowing that this team isn't the same team that played so poorly for so long? Why should that play a part in how the team plays this year? What does that have to do with the losing in the past?

Everything.

BECAUSE the Rams were so bad for so long, new pieces have had to be put in place. ...and BECAUSE of those crappy teams, built by that crappy organization, you cannot expect so many new pieces to come together in a single season and become instantly successful. It rarely, if ever happens overnight. So, even though the management and players that made up those five miserable years are no longer here, the results of their efforts (or lack thereof) is a new team full of new and inexperienced players which probably cannot compete with the more experienced and established teams which didn't go through the same five-year fiasco.

I understand what some are saying when they say this is a new year with a new team and new vision, that's why I think they can win as many as 6 games. But you can't say that the previous 5 years has nothing to do with this year's efforts. It does. The Rams of today are going to pay for the Rams of yesterday by fielding an inferior product because of the FO's inability to bring in enough talent for more than those five years. In a way, it was probably good for the Rams to hit rock bottom, rather than muddle through years of mediocrity. This might have been the only way for the Rams to totally retool and begin this healing process.

The Rams are finally headed in the right direction (I believe), but they will continue to pay for the past blunders of the FO for years to come.
    I agree with some points you made. So we are on the same page when you say "for years to come" are you saying 2,3,4 years? And are you then saying we should be a SB contender or just make the playoffs?

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I agree with some points you made. So we are on the same page when you say "for years to come" are you saying 2,3,4 years? And are you then saying we should be a SB contender or just make the playoffs?
    "SB contender or just make the playoffs?"

Who can tell? Right now, neither. With the high draft picks the next two years, I'd say division contender next year (2013), SB contender the following (2014)? ...my best, most optimistic guess depending on how the next two drafts go.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

sign lady is offline Registered User

8/20/12

I couldn't agree with you more. Thanks so much for your email. Until now I've not been able to reply through AOL to any emails from you. Some kind of glitch, I guess.

Sign Lady

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Not to take the easy way out, but I think there is validity to both trains of thought. On the one hand, yes- the past is the past and the 2012 team's chances for success have nothing to do with the performance of past teams, especially given the tremendous turnover in both players and staff. On the other hand, it is difficult to ask fans so accustomed to disappointment to completely shake the feeling of wondering when the other shoe will drop. BIG-BLUE's take is a valid one, in my opinion. Feelings of confidence and trust will become stronger as the team starts becoming successful.
    That is a fair comment Jersey1. The unconsious mind will automatically start taking you to that dark place, the minute things start to go pear shaped. For most people to get fully past this train of thought. It will take evidence, as the only answer. My confidence comes from our young QB, and the belief that Fisher has definitely upgraded our roster this offseason. The Rams may have a difficult first season under Fisher, youth and all. But this will not sway my confidence one bit, as already Ive seen a huge emphasis on bringing TALENTED football players to the Lou. As a fan, it doesn't get much better for me. Keep them coming Fishead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12