View Poll Results: Why is Stan teasing the media/fans about L.A.?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because he's planning to move the team.

7 11.86%
  • Because he's undecided, but open to moving the team.

11 18.64%
  • Because he's trying to create/maintain leverage for his STL negotiations.

28 47.46%
  • He's not. It just the media and fans reading into things.

13 22.03%
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Why is Stan Kroenke teasing the media/fans about the possibility of an L.A. return?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Why is Stan Kroenke teasing the media/fans about the possibility of an L.A. return?

I am pretty much neutral on this issue, but I thought I'd do a poll to see what the overall perception is here at the Clan.

Randart is offline Registered User

Re: Why is Stan Kroenke teasing the media/fans about the possibility of an L.A. retur

I voted number 2 but a combo of 2 & 3 really is how I feel it may be... But I really have no fingers on this pulse either way is okay with me. Once Georgia moved the team to Anaheim they were no longer the LA Rams to me so still was a fan and am to this day. Location means little to me for the organization I cheer for. Really happy with our management group and coaches these days so great times to be a Rams fan wherever they land. Either way we still get a like new or new stadium in the end so all good as I see it.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Re: Why is Stan Kroenke teasing the media/fans about the possibility of an L.A. retur

He has billions to spend, and no doubt its related to a business decision--now is it related to the Rams, you got me.

I don't think he would buy up all that all that ground for a stadium without support from the LA city/county/state, and I can't find anything in the News that says they are on board with a stadium being built. Hard to believe in todays media that they would all be able to keep a secret without something being leaked.

Now could Kroenke go rogue and pull an "Al Davis"--maybe. But what I do like about Kroenke is that he is not a Jerry Jones/Snider who meddles and lets true football minds operate the day-to-day functions. So based on that his ego isn't running amuck--it could be a power play to say either I get this, or I'll do that.

Either way its all business and its likely Kroenke will be smilling all the way to the bank
    Rammed likes this.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I went with Option 3.

To me, Stan's approach is similar to that of Lebron James.

James, as many know, can become a free agent this Summer. He has never said anything that might indicate that he is planning to leave Miami, but he allows the speculation to fester. Why? Because he does not want to give up a bargaining chip that might allow him to influence the team this Summer (inhis case, its not about getting a max salary - as that's a given - but rather having influence over the team direction as a whole).

Stan, likewise, has never said anything to indicate that his plan is to leave St. Louis. Nonetheless, he has a negotiation to complete, and giving up a bargaining chip like the potential of moving to L.A. would be imprudent.

That does not mean that things could not progress in a manner that would push Stan to leave St. Louis (just as its not a certainty that Lebron will stay in Miami). But reading the "signs" in both cases is probably a waste of time.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

I went with #3. That said, I'm not convinced the purchase of that LA land has anything to do with anything.

It is a HORRIBLE location, the access (405 freeway), is the second most congested in the nation, and 60 acres is not enough for a stadium and parking. (Cowboy stadium with parking is about 140 acres).
    Last edited by VegasRam; -02-10-2014 at 02:25 PM.
    laram0 and Torry Holt like this.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

FestusRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I went with Option 3.

To me, Stan's approach is similar to that of Lebron James.

James, as many know, can become a free agent this Summer. He has never said anything that might indicate that he is planning to leave Miami, but he allows the speculation to fester. Why? Because he does not want to give up a bargaining chip that might allow him to influence the team this Summer (inhis case, its not about getting a max salary - as that's a given - but rather having influence over the team direction as a whole).

Stan, likewise, has never said anything to indicate that his plan is to leave St. Louis. Nonetheless, he has a negotiation to complete, and giving up a bargaining chip like the potential of moving to L.A. would be imprudent.

That does not mean that things could not progress in a manner that would push Stan to leave St. Louis (just as its not a certainty that Lebron will stay in Miami). But reading the "signs" in both cases is probably a waste of time.
    I agree.

Stan is a billionaire. Every move he makes is calculated. Except for his toupee choices, of course.

My guess is he bought the land both as leverage and a possible site for a future stadium. Also, if his Rams stay in St. Louis, I'm sure he has multiple plans on how to develop the land without an NFL team on it. I'm sure there's value in that land, whether or not it is developed for an NFL team.

Win-win business decision for the billionaire.
    Last edited by FestusRam; -02-10-2014 at 03:02 PM.

jjigga3000 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post
    I went with #3. That said, I'm not convinced the purchase of that LA land has anything to do with anything.

It is a HORRIBLE location, the access (405 freeway), is the second most congested in the nation, and 60 acres is not enough for a stadium and parking. (Cowboy stadium with parking is about 140 acres).
    What you forget is that the 405 is not the only accessible freeway system near that area you have the 105 accessible from ElSegundo, and the 90 from Slauson, which empties to the 405 or Pacific Coast Highway. and the 10.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

businessmen think business. anything to create possibility of more revenue. if he decides stay or leave dont take it personal just business
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

supachump is offline Registered User

Went with #3, but feel it is a combo of #2 and 3.

edit: Thinking about it more, I think #4 is a big part of it to. Way overblown. People will read something in anything if they want it bad enough.
    Last edited by supachump; -02-10-2014 at 03:04 PM. Reason: addition

jjigga3000 is online now Registered User

I went with option #2 a move to L.A. is a serious threat. He just is looking at all options.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by VegasRam View Post

The Kroenke site

By Tim Newcomb
    Sixty acres is a large parcel of property. The NFL’s smallest site, Seattle’s CenturyLink Field fits onto 30 acres. The new ***** stadium in Santa Clara rests on 40 acres. But big-time stadiums can require big-time land, as the Cowboys’ AT&T Stadium covers over 73 acres and New Jersey’s MetLife Stadium 75. Without ample parking — remember, the property purchased is the parking — 60 acres might be a smidge small, for L.A. standards.

There also is parking across the street at the forum. Might be small but still very do able.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

If the city wouldn't approve a Wal-Mart supercenter and they made it virtually impossible for the Forum to survive, what makes anyone think they would approve a stadium on the same land?

It's about leverage. You can't get a new stadium in St Louis without it. The problem for Stan is that it's sort of backfiring. I've heard MANY people claim they've stopped caring about the team since the disclosure.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell;485713If the city wouldn't approve a Wal-Mart supercenter and they made it virtually impossible for the Forum to survive, what makes anyone think they would approve a stadium on the same land?

It's about leverage. You can't get a new stadium in St Louis without it. The problem for Stan is that it's sort of backfiring. I've heard MANY people claim they've stopped caring about the team since the disclosure.

[QUOTE
    Inglewood Mayor James T. Butts said he was aware of the land sale and that he would welcome a football stadium if the development included shops, restaurants and entertainment-related businesses that would be open year-round.

"It would not surprise me at all that there would be interest in a football stadium," Butts said. "We have been the home of sports teams before, and we have experience working with sports franchises."

Inglewood is centrally situated near multiple freeways and the Los Angeles International Airport, he said. "If there is to be interest by the NFL, we have the most desirable location."

How did the city hurt the forum? Empty stadium don't do well.
    Last edited by Rambos; -02-10-2014 at 05:21 PM.

Truth is offline Registered User

I don't think he's teasing anyone. I think he's waiting to hear a viable offer from STL and the CVC. I think that he's a multi-BILLIONAIRE for a reason. As for negotiations with STL/CVC, the ball is in their court. The powers-that-be in STL created and offered the existing contract to bring the Rams to STL. The process has been followed, we've been through arbitration and the arbitrator agreed with the Rams. It's up to STL and the CVC to come up with a plan that will work for Mr Kroenke, not the other way around. IF I were the owner, and I was contemplating building my own stadium, I would be looking at L.A. with a very serious eye. Given the comparison in market size, and potential increase in franchise value, I would be more inclined to pay for my own stadium in L.A. rather than STL. However, if STL, and the CVC brought me a proposal that worked, I would very seriously consider that too. I don't think there's been much effort on either side there. I think the odds of a move are 50/50 right now. If we get through more than half of next season without resolution, I think the chances of a move will increase significantly.
    jjigga3000 likes this.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I found a website post from January 10, 2007, that stated that a Los Angeles sportswriter was granted access to the owner's suite at the EJD in December 2006, where he asked then owner Georgia Frontiere if the Rams were ever going back to Los Angeles. Supposedly, she said that they would be back "home" by the start of the 2007 season.

The sad thing is that people actually believed it.

People believe things because they WANT to believe them. I am sure many of you heard about the 1938 broadcast of "War of the Worlds"...people who heard this radio play actually believed Martians were attacking Earth. Men grabbed their guns and went alien hunting. A sixty minute radio play resulted in mass panic...and the same phenomenon is present with those wanting the Rams to move back to their former home.

What is the funniest of all - there is a group in LA that supports bringing back the Raiders. They say the Rams won't come back, but the Raiders will. The group that supports bringing back the Rams says just the opposite - that the Rams will come back, but the Raiders never will.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast