View Poll Results: Why is Stan teasing the media/fans about L.A.?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Because he's planning to move the team.

7 11.86%
  • Because he's undecided, but open to moving the team.

11 18.64%
  • Because he's trying to create/maintain leverage for his STL negotiations.

28 47.46%
  • He's not. It just the media and fans reading into things.

13 22.03%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Why is Stan Kroenke teasing the media/fans about the possibility of an L.A. return?

Mikey is offline Registered User

Re: Why is Stan Kroenke teasing the media/fans about the possibility of an L.A. retur

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    It's one thing to talk to a few people and make an uninformed opinion, it's another to look at the facts.

Here are the facts --

Clippers/2013-14 - 100.7 attendance %
    Lakers/2013-14 - 99.2 attendance %
    Dodgers/2013 - 82.5 attendance % (6th best % in MLB, #1 in total attendance)
    Kings/2013-14 - 109.7 attendance %

Figures from ESPN
    Also that Lakers number is down because they're so bad. They're a lottery team that's still drawing 99% attendance.
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: Why is Stan Kroenke teasing the media/fans about the possibility of an L.A. retur

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    I am not disagreeing with you in any way that the town should fill the stadium, but I do disagree with your excuse as to why. All of the things you mention did not happen until after the RAMS refused to commit to St. Louis. If I am one of the (mostly) "I want to be seen at the game-bandwagon jumping" PSL owners, I wouldn't attend the games either. Those types of PSL holders (I would say 60-80%) sell their tickets or write them off their business taxes if they don't sell. They only go to the games when they want to be seen there, and they can't scalp their tickets for big money.

This is another reason the attendance is so low. Real fans that cannot afford PSLs cannot get tickets unless the PSL holder sells them. They do have an option to buy tickets that aren't owned by a PSL holder, but they can only buy four games worth of tickets per household. There are just too many restrictions to keep the average (even "real" fans) fan away.

gap

I appreciate your viewpoint. But I also think that fans can't be making ticket decisions based on what MIGHT happen to the Rams. They've been in St. Louis since 1995, will be in St. Louis for the 2014 season and there is not a shred of tangible evidence that they're leaving in 2015, the year after or the year after that. Maybe if the Dome was sold out every week, Stan's decision would be made easy for him.

I'll take your word for it on the restrictions you speak of regarding the "average" fan's accessibility to tickets because I don't know any differently. And maybe there should be a more "fan friendly" approach to ticket sales/availability. But I do know this: I cannot afford a PSL, but I would find a way to attend every Rams home game if I lived in St. Louis. In this day and age of ebay, stub hub, social media and good old fashioned scalping it can certainly be done if the effort is made.

RamFan876 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    And yet Cleveland hasn't had a winning football season since about the Reagan administration but managed to draw 15k more a game than the Rams. Granted that's about what the Indians drew and won 92 games. If St Louis fans wanted to support the Rams they could do it whether they win or not and whether their baseball team wins or not.
    You can't really compare Cleveland to St. Louis. The Browns have a much longer history in Cleveland and the Indians aren't a near guarantee to make the playoffs every year. Cardinals playoff tickets are very high compared to regular season tickets. I can understand fans that want to save their money and spend it on a team that has good odds to compete for a championship.

I am personally a Rams PSL owner and of course buy season tickets. I think there was a big shift in support for the team when Martz became the head coach and shipped Warner out. That started the teams decline and it was even worse to see him take the Arizona Cardinals to the brink of a Super Bowl win. Warner didn't just win a Super Bowl in St. Louis, he did and still does a lot of charity work here. I believe his departure turned a lot of local fans off.

gap brought up some good points about a majority of PSL owners. I go to every game that I can regardless of the resale market. In a weird way, it is unfortunate that we are in the Midwest. Being central allows fans from other teams to make a much shorter, more affordable trip to watch their teams play in St. Louis. He is right about the fact that many PSL owners simply sell their tickets to fans from opposing teams. It sometimes feels like the games are 50-50 home and away fans. The PSL system certainly has negative effects.

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan876 View Post
    You can't really compare Cleveland to St. Louis. The Browns have a much longer history in Cleveland and the Indians aren't a near guarantee to make the playoffs every year. Cardinals playoff tickets are very high compared to regular season tickets. I can understand fans that want to save their money and spend it on a team that has good odds to compete for a championship.

I am personally a Rams PSL owner and of course buy season tickets. I think there was a big shift in support for the team when Martz became the head coach and shipped Warner out. That started the teams decline and it was even worse to see him take the Arizona Cardinals to the brink of a Super Bowl win. Warner didn't just win a Super Bowl in St. Louis, he did and still does a lot of charity work here. I believe his departure turned a lot of local fans off.

gap brought up some good points about a majority of PSL owners. I go to every game that I can regardless of the resale market. In a weird way, it is unfortunate that we are in the Midwest. Being central allows fans from other teams to make a much shorter, more affordable trip to watch their teams play in St. Louis. He is right about the fact that many PSL owners simply sell their tickets to fans from opposing teams. It sometimes feels like the games are 50-50 home and away fans. The PSL system certainly has negative effects.

I think the PSL system sucks, but the fact that St. Louis PSL owners are giving up unwanted tickets to opposing fans instead of seeking out other Rams fans speaks volumes about the apathetic Rams fan base in St. Louis. I live an hour from the Meadowlands- and around here, you wouldn't see a Giants fan selling seat licenses to Eagles fans or Jets fans in a million years.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by zgare View Post
    No. I have never heard anyone at this company in LA mention that they ever went to any pro sporting event out there. They are somewhat aware from TV. Maybe it is too much traffic. Seems like half are 2nd generation international transplants. Half are from other parts of the US.

I am a Charter Rams PSL holder and buy 1/4 into a Cards ST pool. Buying season tickets seems way off the radar for my counterparts in LA. Maybe they live way out or have to spend so much on housing. I know they work odd hours to avoid traffic.
    Ok, well living in LA for 45 of my 48 years I would have to disagree. In my company there are still Rams fans who held season tickets to the Rams in LA and in Anaheim and the Raiders in LA. They also have season tickets to the Lakers, Clippers, Kings, Ducks Angels and the beloved Dodgers. We also used to buy group tickets for the Rams and Raiders games when they were still both here. They are made up of white, black, Hispanic and Asian people and the Hispanics are generally 3rd and 4th generation who don't speak that much Spanish. To this day they all still live and breathe football, make bets every week, go to bars to watch satellite games or like me have the NFL ticket. The true Raiders fans stayed raider fans while I would say 25% of the Rams fans turned their back on the team when that evil woman took them away, 50% still pull for them but don't by the gear and 25% are diehards like me who still watch and even go to games sometimes. Bottom line is that pro sports is huge out here and I would think that this company you speak of is probably made up of mostly transplanted soccer fans, which by the way has a pretty strong following out here as well. Come on out, I'll take you to a Ducks game and show you...
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    We also support SC and UCLA... The Angles, the Ducks in no particular order.
    Exactly. LA DOES support it's teams and the facts back it up. People not in the know, always go back to the time when the-owner-who-shall-not-be-named ran the team into the ground and drove the fans away. It wasn't that they weren't competitive, it's that we knew what her motives were and didn't want to support it. It was so bad that the fans of LA/OC would rather have no NFL team than a team run by a brainless ex-dancer that had no business running the team and no intention of winning here.

It is comical to make the statement that LA is just not into sports. I would say LA is probably one of the leaders in sports entertainment if you combine all the sports and the attendance figures.
    LA Rammer likes this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Mikey is offline Registered User

She who must not be named always reminded me of the owner of the Indians in the movie Major League.
    MoonJoe and macrammer like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Exactly. LA DOES support it's teams and the facts back it up. People not in the know, always go back to the time when the-owner-who-shall-not-be-named ran the team into the ground and drove the fans away. It wasn't that they weren't competitive, it's that we knew what her motives were and didn't want to support it. It was so bad that the fans of LA/OC would rather have no NFL team than a team run by a brainless ex-dancer that had no business running the team and no intention of winning here.

It is comical to make the statement that LA is just not into sports. I would say LA is probably one of the leaders in sports entertainment if you combine all the sports and the attendance figures.
    I am the rare person who lives on the east coast but whose favorite teams from childhood were the Rams, Dodgers and Lakers. My perception of the LA sports fan, quite frankly, is not a favorable one. The LA Rams never conjured an image to me of the passionate fan base on the level of a Green Bay, Pittsburgh or New York. It has been easy to show up to Lakers games over the years because they've been wildly successful (it will be interesting to see what happens if they continue to have seasons like this one, however...) and one can't brag about Dodger stadium attendance records when fans show up in the 2nd inning and leave in the 7th. And don't hand me that nonsense about traffic- it is an absolute nightmare in the NY/NJ area attempting to get to baseball and football games and people still get there on time.

As an LA resident, your opinion is valued more than most, and I don't doubt there is support- after all, what sports fan wouldn't want to enjoy an event in perfect weather multiple times per week/month- but I have just never thought of the typical LA sports fan as a die hard loyalist whose passion is beyond reproach.

With all of that said, I'd still love to see the Rams back in LA. I think you'd see a very different situation there now as opposed to 25-30 years ago.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -03-08-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    My perception of the LA sports fan, quite frankly, is not a favorable one. The LA Rams never conjured an image to me of the passionate fan base on the level of a Green Bay, Pittsburgh or New York. It has been easy to show up to Lakers games over the years because they've been wildly successful (it will be interesting to see what happens if they continue to have seasons like this one, however...) and one can't brag about Dodger stadium attendance records when fans show up in the 2nd inning and leave in the 7th. And don't hand me that nonsense about traffic- it is an absolute nightmare in the NY/NJ area attempting to get to baseball and football games and people still get there on time.
    You are almost 100% correct. We live in the land of the beautiful and losing is ugly! If our teams aren't winning we can go see other teams, go surf, visit Disneyland, ski in winter, ride dirt bikes in the desert, golf in Palm Springs or anywhere all year round, visit our friends in Frisco (they hate that name BTW) or San Diego, drive to Mexico or Yosemite National Park or just lounge in our back yard by the pool with perfect 75 degree weather and no humidity. So yes, we wont be as passionate as the fans from Green Bay or Pittsburgh where beauty and culture are challenged to exist or NY/NJ where there is a train to everything, BUT if you bring us a professional sports team, with an owner who understands us, and puts a good product on the field with the knowledge of what it takes to win in that sport, we'll support them forever!
    Truth and BIG-BLUE like this.

Jack Youngblood

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    You are almost 100% correct. We live in the land of the beautiful and losing is ugly! If our teams aren't winning we can go see other teams, go surf, visit Disneyland, ski in winter, ride dirt bikes in the desert, golf in Palm Springs or anywhere all year round, visit our friends in Frisco (they hate that name BTW) or San Diego, drive to Mexico or Yosemite National Park or just lounge in our back yard by the pool with perfect 75 degree weather and no humidity. So yes, we wont be as passionate as the fans from Green Bay or Pittsburgh where beauty and culture are challenged to exist or NY/NJ where there is a train to everything, BUT if you bring us a professional sports team, with an owner who understands us, and puts a good product on the field with the knowledge of what it takes to win in that sport, we'll support them forever!
    Well, MoonJoe, I hope your last statement is put to the test, because I'd love to see the Rams orchestrate a move back there!

I love where I live- 10 min. from the beach, an hour from NYC and an hour and a half from Philly- but would love to have a house out in California. If you aren't having fun out there, something is very, very wrong!!

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

I am the rare person who lives on the east coast but whose favorite teams from childhood were the Rams, Dodgers and Lakers.
    I grew up in Connecticut, and will see your Rams, Dodgers and Lakers and raise you Marcel Dionne, Charlie Simmer, Rogie Vachon and the rest of the Los Angeles Kings!

One reason why I adopted the L.A. teams was BECAUSE of the east coast fans.

Well, MoonJoe, I hope your last statement is put to the test, because I'd love to see the Rams orchestrate a move back there!

I love where I live- 10 min. from the beach, an hour from NYC and an hour and a half from Philly- but would love to have a house out in California. If you aren't having fun out there, something is very, very wrong!!
    I love the big NYC, NJ! I have been there once in October during a heatwave, 3 years ago I think it was. Me and the wife saw the Rams play the Bucs then flew up there to see my buddy on Long Island. Are you going to the Philly game this year? PA and I are, thinking about spending a week there and seeing some of our country's history. Maybe we can meet up for dinner? I also would like to surf NY some day too. Any way, yes I do enjoy it here and yes of course there is something wrong with me...

I don't have any issue with St. Louis other than the lady never to be named took my team and placed them there. I have been there twice and I have a good friend that lives there. That being so stated, I wouldn't want to see them move, unless it was back to LA of course. But there always statements that I will react to:

The LA fans did not support the team. False, we supported the team and not owner.
    LA Fans are not real sports fans. False, season tickets, tatoos, children and pets named after sports hero's (My son after Jim Everett and James Worthy).
    California is broke. False, the California economy is the 12th largest in the WORLD.

Things I wont defend and actually make fun of:
    LA fans show up late and leave early. Hell yes, traffic does suck here, getting home is a contact sport in itself and we can listen to the game on the radio if need be.
    LA Sports fans are fickle: Yup. We have all kinds of things we can be doing and sitting there at Anaheim Stadium while the Rams lost to the Redskins as we all knew the owner was taking the team away, was too much for some. I stuck around though.
    LA Fans are spoiled. Hell yes, now can I get my latte for crying out loud and where is my masseuse!?

Bottom line if Stan decides to bring the team back, there will boatloads of cash for him and an immediate return of 75% of the original fans. And if he puts a team on the field that has a chance every year to achieve something other than mediocrity, all the more better!
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER likes this.

Jack Youngblood

zgare is offline Registered User
    I think the PSL system sucks, but the fact that St. Louis PSL owners are giving up unwanted tickets to opposing fans instead of seeking out other Rams fans speaks volumes about the apathetic Rams fan base in St. Louis. I live an hour from the Meadowlands- and around here, you wouldn't see a Giants fan selling seat licenses to Eagles fans or Jets fans in a million years.
    I am a Charter PSL owner. I have two two seats in the lower bowl. My friends have 4 in the club seat section. When my friends' son can't go to a game, my wife and I sell our two seats on the NFL exchange run by the Rams and buy my friends seats and sit with them in the Club seats.

I just list my tickets. I have no idea who the Rams resell them to. It is all anonymous. The Rams love it when we resell our tickets to whomever since they get another chunk of money on a seat they had already sold once. I take it you are not a season ticket holder or you would know this.

When I listen to games on the radio in other cities, such as the Dallas Chicago game in Dallas last year, often the away crowd sounds bigger or as big as the home crowd. This happens in every city. There is huge extra demand for Rams tickets when we play a nearby city like Chicago, Green Bay, Indy, KC, Tennessee, or Minnesota since so many people from those cities have moved here or can drive here. Unfortunately, the NFL keeps the Rams in the NFL West. Not much visitor support here from those teams.

I have been buying and selling Rams tickets for 19 years and I have at minimum broken even in spite of the 10 year drouth. I'm sure Stan is making money too.
    ZGare

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

But one team will have to go LA whether it is the Rams or what have ya!
    October Breast Cancer Awareness!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by JPPT1974 View Post
    But one team will have to go LA whether it is the Rams or what have ya!
    Not necessarily. The NFL is making money off of LA as it stands due to media contracts. Besides, it appears that Mark Davis has given Oakland an ultimatum...meaning that the Raiders are still the front runner for LA. That is, if anyone does go there.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast