1st & Goal is offline Registered User

Why is Stephen Davis on this team?

We signed Davis on the hope that he could cure our short yardage problems. The last time I looked it is hard to cure something if you don't use the medicine. Not a bash at Jackson. What would defence's think if they looked up and saw both of them in the backfield. Jackson has proven he is a threat out of the backfield on pass routes. Who do you key on, when they both are in the backfield on those 3rd and short situations.

"I was the originator of smack. Some guys rattle with smack; with other guys it rolls right off their shoulders like nothing. "
    -Deacon Jones

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: Why is Stephen Davis on this team?

I believe defenses would think hey look at that bad run blocking O Line, we can stop anyone they throw in there to run at us. :x

Anyways as for your suggestion, sure let's try it. It can't get any worse. I'm actually all for it if Davis is in there as a decoy and we throw a short pass to Jackson, but that would only work so many times before teams caught on.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 1st & Goal View Post
    What would defence's think if they looked up and saw both of them in the backfield.
    They'd probably be happier to see that than one of them combined with a lead blocking fullback.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

bigredman is offline Registered User

Even with a talented fullback, our offensive line leave a lot to be desired. I don't believe even a top notch blocking fullback could cure our woes. I mentioned this during the chat last Sunday....watch Jackson...when he takes the handoff...he's more upright and always stutter steps as soon as he gets the ball. When its a play action to him, he stays low and charges the line. Such telegraphing can be a huge advantage to the linebackers on the opposing defense, not to mention the secondary.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Even with a talented fullback, our offensive line leave a lot to be desired. I don't believe even a top notch blocking fullback could cure our woes.
    Perhaps, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. I like Hedgecock, but I honestly don't have a good read on how well of a lead blocker he is. I don't get the feeling he's outstanding since he briefly lost his job to Paul Smith. I don't think a talented fullback solves everything, but it's worth a shot. Certainly something we should at least look at IMO.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Still the Davis run that sticks in my mind is the fumble vs San Diego which was returned for a touchdown and probably cost the game.

Davis is a proven asset in the NFL but I can't see how how is helping us much right now....

RnD

GO RAMS!!

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Still the Davis run that sticks in my mind is the fumble vs San Diego which was returned for a touchdown and probably cost the game.

Davis is a proven asset in the NFL but I can't see how how is helping us much right now....

RnD

GO RAMS!!
    You can't hang a guy for one costly fumble. It's in my mind too, but his solid play when rushing the ball this year and especially in his past overshadows that for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Even with a talented fullback, our offensive line leave a lot to be desired. I don't believe even a top notch blocking fullback could cure our woes. I mentioned this during the chat last Sunday....watch Jackson...when he takes the handoff...he's more upright and always stutter steps as soon as he gets the ball. When its a play action to him, he stays low and charges the line. Such telegraphing can be a huge advantage to the linebackers on the opposing defense, not to mention the secondary.
    Excellent point and something I hadn't thought of when watching Jackson. Most RBs look pretty pathetic when selling a play action and I've always wondered why they don't act the part out better. It's like with the faiders you can always tell when a run or backfield pass play is coming because Moss either just stands there and pretends to block or he half heartedly runs his distraction route. I'm not saying Jackson is anything like Moss in any way, I'm just giving another illustration on defenses telegraphing plays.