RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Why Steussie at LT and not Barron?

So Steussie played at LT against the Texans in the absence of Pace. If it was up to me I'd probably have switched Barron to LT and let Steussie man the RT spot instead. Remember Barron played mostly (only?) LT in college so he should be ready for it, besides I'd prefer having our best tackle cover the blindside (he could perhaps switch back to RT when Ragone is in, since he's lefthanded, but that's just a small footnote). Does anyone know why we didn't do this? I can only think of a couple of reasons:

1) Maybe we don't want to 'confuse' Barron by switching him around too much, he has had quite a few penalties in his short NFL career?

2) Maybe Steussie is somehow not able to play RT very well at all, I'm not all that familiar with his history, has he never played RT before or?

Still in spite of this it seems Barron should be able to handle the LT spot without too much confusion and surely Steussie with all his experience could line up at RT? It seems to me like a wiser allocation of our O-line talent in the absence of Pace.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Why Steussie at LT and not Barron?

I think Barron needs all the reps he can get on the right side considering it is a whole new ball game on that side, and ones footwork is opposite. Everything is different and the kid never played that side until last year.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    I think Barron needs all the reps he can get on the right side considering it is a whole new ball game on that side, and ones footwork is opposite. Everything is different and the kid never played that side until last year.
    I agree and I also think we know he is capable of playing the left side. I think its good for Steussie to get some reps at the left side. It maybe a long time before anyone gets anymore reps with the starting unit at LT.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I agree with RW. This is only Barron's second year in the league, and he needs those reps at RT. No reason to move him in the preseason.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

What if Pace gets injured during the real season (God forbid!) when the games count, do you still think we'll play Steussie at LT? Should we? I have more confidence in Barron securing Bulger's blindside than Steussie. Which is why I think it might be nice to get him some snaps at LT in the preseason, as preperation for the possibility of Pace being unavailable later down the stretch, you never know what happens.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    What if Pace gets injured during the real season (God forbid!) when the games count, do you still think we'll play Steussie at LT? Should we? I have more confidence in Barron securing Bulger's blindside than Steussie. Which is why I think it might be nice to get him some snaps at LT in the preseason, as preperation for the possibility of Pace being unavailable later down the stretch, you never know what happens.
    Steussie was signed to back up both left and right tackle. He is only a few years removed from playing at a Pro Bowl level. Everything is new for him -- new team, new coach, new system. He has to get his reps like everyone else and preseason is the time to do it. Barron has a full plate at RT and needs his reps there to continue to develop. It is likely that down the road when Pace's career winds down that Barron will be moved to LT, but for now it's best for him to learn the position we drafted him to play, and for Steussie to adapt to the role the Rams braintrust envisioned when they signed hiim ...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post
    I have more confidence in Barron securing Bulger's blindside than Steussie.
    I don't think Barron offers so much of an upgrade over Steussie that this move makes sense. Steussie was brought in to back-up the left tackle, and that's what he should do. Creating more incontinuity by rotating players across the entire line doesn't sound like a good solution to me at all.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!