schut39 is offline Registered User

Why we didn't get to the endzone..

Here is a segment of an article by Jeff Gordon from stltoday.com that I thought was pretty interesting.

The Rams got the ball first, but Donnie Avery immediately fumbled it back to the Seahawks on the opening kickoff return. He did not protect the ball when he cut into traffic.

On their first snap from scrimmage, Richie Incognito was flagged for a five-yard false start penalty. This gave Bulger a first-and-15 situation to start with, on his own 15. The Rams gained six yards on three plays and punted.

On the Ramsí second possession, Jackson ground out a first down. But on a second-and-nine play, Incognito took a trademark 15-yard personal foul penalty. This gave Bulger a second-and-22 situation to deal with . . . and soon the Rams punted again.

After the Rams defense created another turnover, the offense got the ball on the Seattle 38. Avery quickly negated Jacksonís 8-yard run with a holding penalty. On third-and-7 from the 35, center Jason Brown missed Bulger with his shotgun snap. Bulger did well to recover the ball and throw an incomplete pass, but the Rams had to punt again.

After the Rams defense created another turnover, Jacob Bell earned a false start penalty to turn a second-and-4 situation into a second-and-9 scenario.

The Rams overcame that, but a false start penalty on Randy McMichael, followed immediately by a delay-of-game penalty, knocked them out of the red zone. Then Josh Brown missed the 37-yard field goal attempt, which should be a chip shot for him.

On and on it went. The Rams blocked a field goal and ran it back for the game-tying TD . . . only to lose the momentum-shifting play to a video review.

It turns out they had 12 men on the field. How do you have 12 men on the field? Doesnít somebody count how many players go out there? Arenít these jobs assigned?

The Rams should have led at the half. At worst, they should have been tied with the Seahawks. Instead they trailed 14-0.

As you can see, we had plenty of chances to get into the endzone and we didn't capitalize on any of our defenses turnovers. Almost every drive had penalties and mistakes which is ridiculous. If we didn't make some of those mistakes we could have put up at least as many points as the Seahawks did if not more by halftime. Our defense is doing their job for the most part, but our offense really needs to step it up. To tell you the truth, I think we could've won if it weren't for stupid mistakes. We are a much better team than what we saw on Sunday night. If we can work on getting the simple things fixed, then we will be a much better team. Hopefully next week we won't make drive-killing mistakes. If we don't, then the Redskins better be prepared for some good competition!

btimsah Guest

Re: Why we didn't get to the endzone..

Quote Originally Posted by schut39 View Post
    Here is a segment of an article by Jeff Gordon from stltoday.com that I thought was pretty interesting.

The Rams got the ball first, but Donnie Avery immediately fumbled it back to the Seahawks on the opening kickoff return. He did not protect the ball when he cut into traffic.

On their first snap from scrimmage, Richie Incognito was flagged for a five-yard false start penalty. This gave Bulger a first-and-15 situation to start with, on his own 15. The Rams gained six yards on three plays and punted.

On the Ramsí second possession, Jackson ground out a first down. But on a second-and-nine play, Incognito took a trademark 15-yard personal foul penalty. This gave Bulger a second-and-22 situation to deal with . . . and soon the Rams punted again.

After the Rams defense created another turnover, the offense got the ball on the Seattle 38. Avery quickly negated Jacksonís 8-yard run with a holding penalty. On third-and-7 from the 35, center Jason Brown missed Bulger with his shotgun snap. Bulger did well to recover the ball and throw an incomplete pass, but the Rams had to punt again.

After the Rams defense created another turnover, Jacob Bell earned a false start penalty to turn a second-and-4 situation into a second-and-9 scenario.

The Rams overcame that, but a false start penalty on Randy McMichael, followed immediately by a delay-of-game penalty, knocked them out of the red zone. Then Josh Brown missed the 37-yard field goal attempt, which should be a chip shot for him.

On and on it went. The Rams blocked a field goal and ran it back for the game-tying TD . . . only to lose the momentum-shifting play to a video review.

It turns out they had 12 men on the field. How do you have 12 men on the field? Doesnít somebody count how many players go out there? Arenít these jobs assigned?

The Rams should have led at the half. At worst, they should have been tied with the Seahawks. Instead they trailed 14-0.

As you can see, we had plenty of chances to get into the endzone and we didn't capitalize on any of our defenses turnovers. Almost every drive had penalties and mistakes which is ridiculous. If we didn't make some of those mistakes we could have put up at least as many points as the Seahawks did if not more by halftime. Our defense is doing their job for the most part, but our offense really needs to step it up. To tell you the truth, I think we could've won if it weren't for stupid mistakes. We are a much better team than what we saw on Sunday night. If we can work on getting the simple things fixed, then we will be a much better team. Hopefully next week we won't make drive-killing mistakes. If we don't, then the Redskins better be prepared for some good competition!

The problem is that it's sorta like saying, "If we weren't a bad team, we wouldn't be a bad team". If we didn't suck, we could win. I'll believe it when I see it at this point. No, instead I fear this is what's gonna happen;

The Redskins will frustrate Cogs into 17 personal fouls. Bulger will suck again as usual. The offensive line will fall apart. Jackson will be frustrated. The defense will show flashes but fall apart as the game goes on. Then we come on this board, angry and mad as the Bulger haters anger the bulger supporters who will yet again defend him ad nasuem. Think Groundhog day, only worse.

Or we win in a moment of jubilee. Yeah... I'm not hopeful.
    Last edited by btimsah; -09-16-2009 at 04:32 AM.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Oh definitely. That's why I was so upset, because we beat ourselves, and the Seahawks get all the credit. We kept them in the game and sure as s**t, they "beat" us, it happens every time.

It's kind of hard for Bulger to play well when he's constantly starting on a 1st and 15 rather than a 1st and 20, or a 2nd and 20 instead of a 1st down. I feel for Bulger, I really do, and I doubt Boller or Null would be any better at this point.

This is a brand new regime too, not just on offense but on defense. As frustrating as it is, this team is rebuilding and that takes time.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I understand all that, but eventually someone is going to have to make a play on 2nd and 15. Bulger included.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I understand all that, but eventually someone is going to have to make a play on 2nd and 15. Bulger included.
    Yeah, down the road when the offense is more in-sync, that's to be expected with playmakers like Jackson in the backfield. As of right now, this offense cannot afford to have stupid penalties. It's still a work in progress and those penalties are just detrimental to getting those 6 points as opposed to getting 3 points or punting...We can't expect so much from such a young team, unfortunately.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams