Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Why,why,why, did we not trade Jackson?

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Re: Why,why,why, did we not trade Jackson?

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    In all fairness, the FO tried to do just that, by drafting everyone's top prospect Jason Smith and then Roger Saffold, as well as bringing in everybody's top rated free agents Jacob Bell, Jason Brown and Harvey Dahl. Too bad for Jackson virtually none of it has panned out.

Yes good point and Im pretty convinced its coaching that doesnt have these players playing up to par. I cant see younger guys just forgetting how to play when they get here. Then we cut players that go on to other teams and are serviceable starters. The common denominator is coaching...

Holt Your Horses is offline Registered User

I would hate to imagine what our rams would be like if we didnt have Jackson over the last couple years *shudder*
    Defence Wins Championships

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You're sure trying to toot your "I told you so" horn pretty loudly for someone who hates to look back.

Steven Jackson has been the best thing the Rams have had on offense for probably half a decade now. I'd hate to see what the Rams' offenses of the last couple of seasons would have looked like without him on this roster.
    We certainly would have had an 0-16 record on our shelf. Jackson pretty much willed us to victory over the Lions in 2009.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Is a great runningback the key to winning anymore? Look at the Saints, Packers and Patriots for example. Seems like our RAMS are always a step behind in the ever changing NFL.

Rambos is online now Registered User

We tried that move before and it did not work out so well...

Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch says Jerome Bettis became a Hall of Fame candidate after leaving the Rams in a regrettable trade. Thomas: "If the Marshall Faulk trade in 1999 was one of the best in St. Louis sports history, the Bettis deal three years earlier was one of the worst. And ultimately, it cost coach Rich Brooks and general manager Steve Ortmayer their jobs." Bettis averaged 3.2 and 3.5 yards per carry in his final two seasons with the Rams. He then topped 1,000 yards for six consecutive seasons with the Steelers. He finished his career with 91 rushing touchdowns, three receiving touchdowns and 13,662 rushing yards. Said Brooks at the time of the trade: "I wanted a little more speed at the position. 'Jerome is an outstanding player and the Pittsburgh scheme will suit him more than my scheme will. It is a good move for Jerome.'' The Rams felt OK trading Bettis because they had recently drafted Lawrence Phillips. Oops.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Is a great runningback the key to winning anymore? Look at the Saints, Packers and Patriots for example. Seems like our RAMS are always a step behind in the ever changing NFL.
    Well, the Rams DID draft Bradford hoping he will be a franchise QB. The jury is still very much out on that.

My simple argument is that trading Jackson would have been foolish. When you get a guy in the NFL who is a productive player and a positive force, you keep him, and if he's good enough you build around him. It is unlike baseball, where a good player may or may not fetch you 3 or 4 good prospects. Even there, it's a crapshoot. There's no guarantee we'd have used the Jackson picks judiciously.
    HUbison likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    We tried that move before and it did not work out so well...
    Classic case of getting too cute and trying to upgrade a position that didn't need upgrading. Not good.

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Seems like our RAMS are always a step behind in the ever changing NFL.
    We were a step ahead in 99.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

Trevor is offline Registered User

At this point, the Rams owe Jackson. I think the Rams should let Jackson decide on what he wants to do. If he wants to stay let him stay. If he wants to go elsewhere and win a superbowl. Let him. Him leaving will be like Bruce leaving the Rams. Heartbreaking.

BEER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You're sure trying to toot your "I told you so" horn pretty loudly for someone who hates to look back.

Steven Jackson has been the best thing the Rams have had on offense for probably half a decade now. I'd hate to see what the Rams' offenses of the last couple of seasons would have looked like without him on this roster.
    LOl.. I knew i would get that reply from someone, didnt know it would be you? LOL. "To toot a horn, you have to have one." .

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BEER View Post
    LOl.. I knew i would get that reply from someone, didnt know it would be you? LOL. "To toot a horn, you have to have one."
    Whether you know it or not, you have one.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Its not too late to trade him but we wont get a 1st and probably not a 2nd either. A few years ago we woulda had a herchel walker type deal or something close. But he needs to go to a contender. He aint gonna win nothing here and he's on the wrong side of his career
    Not likely. There's a reason why people go all the way back to the 1989 Walker trade as an example. Those things don't happen everyday, and it's not because of stingy teams who think that star runningbacks are irreplaceable. The market isn't there in a pass-happy era where lots of teams go with a back-by-committee approach. His value was absolutely higher a few years ago than it is now, but let's not go overboard.

Let's say that we got two firsts and a third. At least one of those picks probably goes to draft a runningback because we've had next to nothing at the position until this year. So we would have a couple more picks, but ownership might have also let Linehan stick around a little longer on the grounds that they had given him nothing at all to work with. We could play the "What if?" game all night.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Not likely. There's a reason why people go all the way back to the 1989 Walker trade as an example. Those things don't happen everyday, and it's not because of stingy teams who think that star runningbacks are irreplaceable. The market isn't there in a pass-happy era where lots of teams go with a back-by-committee approach. His value was absolutely higher a few years ago than it is now, but let's not go overboard.

Let's say that we got two firsts and a third. At least one of those picks probably goes to draft a runningback because we've had next to nothing at the position until this year. So we would have a couple more picks, but ownership might have also let Linehan stick around a little longer on the grounds that they had given him nothing at all to work with. We could play the "What if?" game all night.

First off, let me state the obvious: Steven Jackson wouldn't fetch much. He is a player on the tail end of an excellent career. No team will give up a lot to get him. They'd be foolish to do so.

Secondly, we will never see the likes of the Herschel Walker trade again- that is if a GM wants to keep his job. The NFL has changed dramatically since 1989 in both popularity and in the parity between teams, making such a trade not feasible. All fans always look at a trade from a one-sided point of view rather than objectively look at how it will help both teams (Hey- let's trade Albert Pujols for two minor league pitchers...). A worthwhile trade has to benefit everyone involved. We like to cite how this trade led to Dallas winning Super Bowls, but what did it do for Minnesota??!! It set their franchise back years.

We don't need a blockbuster deal. We need to be smart with the picks we already have and get a coach in here who knows how to both evaluate talent and maximize each player's capabilities.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12