• 2 Post By tomahawk247
  • 1 Post By Flippin' Ram
  • 1 Post By thermobee
  • 2 Post By KoaKoi

Thread: Why you shouldn't pay attention to football columnists

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Why you shouldn't pay attention to football columnists

From Gregg Easterbrook's (Tuesday Morning Quarterback) post-draft column:

St. Louis: Summing multiple move-downs, Les Mouflons traded RGIII for Michael Brockers, Janoris Jenkins, Isaiah Pead, Rokevious Watkins, and first-round choices in 2013 and 2014. That is quite a haul for one person. Having decided to cast his lot with Sam Bradford at quarterback, new coach Jeff Fisher's decision to trade the second overall choice, and the chance for Griffin, made sense. Then also trading down from the sixth overall choice to 14th was a head-scratcher. Is St. Louis, football's second-worst team in 2011, trying to avoid acquiring an impact player?

Fisher's best days were with Tennessee in 1999 and 2000, when the Flaming Thumbtacks reached the Super Bowl one year, then had the league's best defense the next. That defense was keyed by pass-rusher Javon Kearse and safety Blaine Bishop. At the sixth selection, Fisher might have chosen Mark Barron, who has an excellent chance to become an impact safety; at the 14th selection, Fisher might have chosen any of the first three pass-rushers selected in the draft (Bruce Irvin, Quinton Coples and Melvin Ingram). Instead Fisher whiffed on choosing players in the mold of stars of his best years. Maybe that's because the 2000 Tennessee defense was run by Gregg Williams, who was supposed to take over the Rams' defense but instead has been suspended over Sinnersgate. The Rams on draft day did not even have a defensive coordinator.
    So apparently because Jeff Fisher had success with a defense where Jevon Kearse and Blaine Bishop were the best players, the Rams should have drafted a safety or defensive end in the first round. Completely ignoring the fact that we have previously spent first round picks on defensive ends who are both playing well, and the fact that of all the holes on the team, safety and defensive end are pretty much the only two positions where we have two solid starters.
    Jonze and THOLTFAN81 like this.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: Why you shouldn't pay attention to football columnists

what a waste!! coples could have been an awesome... special teamer?

I think we should just recognize some people are duuummmmb.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Can't really blame these columnists for spewing their Yellow Journalism to the public. They need something to post in order to keep food on the table for their families. It's just a matter of being smart enough to differentiate good and informative journalism and ones that talk out of their arseholes.
    ZiaRam likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

It's way to early to second guess the trades and choices Fisher/Snead made!

thermobee is offline Registered User

What a waste... I want my time back!
    ZiaRam likes this.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

"m-o-o-n that spells dumb. lawws yes"

the above is my homage for those of you who've read the stand by stephen king. i'm knee deep in it and this article deserves a quote by Tom. lawwws yes it does.
    Jonze and ZiaRam like this.

DeaconJ is offline Registered User

Pass rushers? What are Long and Quinn....friggin chopped liver? The Rams have too many holes to fill to draft duplicates this year. They needed a DT...got one. They needed CBs...got them. They needed LBs...got a couple. They needed receivers who might actually be able to receive...Jury's out. Additional pass rushers weren't required and can wait till next year.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Ok, lets look at some of the "experts"....ESPN had Trent Dilfer and Herm Edwards, now those are a couple of winners....NFL network has M. Irving spouting off how great T. Tebow is. And last year look at the predictions of the Philly Eagles "Dream Team". I can recall a few "expert" oppions that the Dallas Cowboys would be contenders for that years playoffs. With all the expert advice given these days an 80 year old Grandmother who never seen a game could do better.

On paper a lot of teams look good--but how does one guage team chemistry, leadership, motivation, luck, and etc. ? On paper the 2011 Eagles where the odds on favorites; the Rams where suppose to have been NFC-West contenders. Looks like a lot of experts where wrong.

Now 2012, the 49whiners are odds-on favorites for the NFC-West because they got themselves speed WRs, including one Moss, and have a defense. Problem is they still have a S. Smith and unlike last year maybe they can't just say to their QB, just don't loose the game for us. He may have to actually have to win a few games; as much as I am not an expert, I don't see a lot of potentual in their QB doing so

Right now, we are in the dark as to Fisher and Company's 2012 strategy--might come as a total surprise that the Rams repeats worst-to-first in 2012. Hopefully after games 2 and 3 of the pre-season Rams fans will have some idea of what to expect

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

What frustrates me the most is that when I write anything on this site or others, even if it's just a small post, I do my research before hand and make sure what I am saying is correct.

The fact that a well paid football journalist, who does nothing but write about football, doesn't even look at the Rams roster, or last seasons sack stats, is ridiculous.

Chris Long had 13 sacks, good for 4th amongst NFL DEs, 7th overall. Of the top 10 in sacks, only Long and Jared Allen played on teams that had under 7 wins.

Not only that, but we drafted Robert Quinn, who, as a rookie, notched 5 sacks in limited playing time. He only started one game.

Now everyone knows the best time to get sacks is when you are in the lead and can tee off on the opposing QB. The only game I can remember last year where the Rams held the lead for a significant amount of time was against the Saints, where Quinn and Long combined for 4 sacks.

Yeah, we need a pass rusher *rolleyes*

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

In other news today it is raining in Argentina....