View Poll Results: Why are you STILL a Rams fan?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Geography. Root for the home team.

3 3.13%
  • I couldn't stop being a Rams fan even if I wanted to.

24 25.00%
  • Its about loyalty. A fan without that quality is nothing.

30 31.25%
  • I'm an eternal optimist. I always think things will get better.

6 6.25%
  • I truly believe there is something special about this franchise.

1 1.04%
  • I'm a glutton for punishment.

3 3.13%
  • Before this poll, I never even considered the concept of NOT being a Rams fan.

29 30.21%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Why are you STILL a Rams fan?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Why are you STILL a Rams fan?

We've had many threads over the years asking Clan members how they first became fans of the Rams.

This poll asks a different question...

After years of futility, why are you STILL a Rams fan?

I recognize that multiple options might fit your mindset: vote for the one that describes your PRIMARY reason for sticking with the team.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-30-2012 at 12:58 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Why are you STILL a Rams fan?

Excellent question, AV. As I ponder the notion, I am first struck by the idea that I've never asked myself that question. The reason being: I never considered the option of NOT being a Rams fan. So to quantify, I am a 100% fan, as I have nothing pulling me towards not being a fan.

So how does my 100% break down? At the risk of many finger-points, I will be completely honest.....

60%....because they're the RAMS (my team, win or lose)
    40%....because they're the ST. LOUIS Rams (my town, win or lose)
    RamsSB99 and FestusRam like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Excellent question, AV. As I ponder the notion, I am first struck by the idea that I've never asked myself that question. The reason being: I never considered the option of NOT being a Rams fan. So to quantify, I am a 100% fan, as I have nothing pulling me towards not being a fan.
    You know what, I like that answer so much that I've added it as an option on the poll!

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

I will be buried in a RAMS uniform!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Because I grew up a Rams fan when they were in LA, playing in the Coliseum. They were THE local team, and I loved the horned helmets. I am STILL a Rams fan because, quite frankly, no other team moved in to take their place. If another team (with some exceptions) came in immediately after Georgia destroyed the fan base and moved them out, I probably would have taken them on as "my team" and moved on. I was that angry about the move. That didn't happen though, the anger and distain towards Georgia subsided and I'm still rooting for them to this day, hoping they'll some day return to being a team of relevance. I do believe in having an alliance with the local team though. ...unless it's the Raiders. Not a chance there.

So, there wasn't an option in the poll for my reasons so I didn't cast a vote.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

live4ramin is online now Registered User

In 1995 I quit driving nails into my head and became a RAMS fan.
    With all the gravitas of Jackie Treehorn.

rayzorram is offline Registered User

I'm a 52 yr. old ram fan who grew up with Roman Gabriel watching him at the Coliseum and my son who is 18 grew up with Curt Warner so just this last week we were talking about this very subject and came to the conclusion that even if Stan Kroenke moved the Rams to London (not that they are going there) we couldn't even fathom rooting for any other team. Being a Ram's fan becomes deeper ingrained when you read and understand the history of this great franchise from it's roots in Cleveland to LA to Anaheim and then St. Louis.
    RealRam likes this.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

they always been my team. ever since i was a kid this was the uniform i was familiar with. (local tv) added sentiment when our local (banning) quarterback ferragamo led us to superbowl. on the elementary school playground we all wanted to be vince. i remember the rams drafting leroy irvin, then eric dickerson. i also always remember hating the whiners.

my uncle in orange county tried to introduce me to the chargers. even though their uniforms looked similar those bolts didn't look anything like horns. any attempt to get me to switch didn't work.

then raiders moved to LA, didn't like them much. I still watched on TV and attended games. the move posed a threat, but when i tried not to look at football i still caught myself peeking to watch.

here we are decades later and my loyalties remain despite horrible seasons. heck i won't even watch probowl unless i see a horned helmet. option 2 seems more the right answer.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Varg6 is offline Registered User

They, like LA Rammer, have always been my team. I genuinely cannot help myself with the Rams. I get extremely excited when they win and very upset when they lose. I have never felt that way with another team and I never will. Knowing older Rams fans, it seems like we've been through one of the worst time periods in Rams history. We've made it this far. Rams fan forever.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Gotta go with the loyalty option. I think my biggest pet peeve in all aspects of life, believe it or not, is front-runner fans. Being a fan of a team that's struggled for so long, nothing pisses me off more than seeing bandwagon fans.

Hence, when we eventually get good, we will have fans coming out of nowhere ala the GSOT days. But I am willing to have some bandwagon fans if it means we are good. Loyalty.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

Guess I'm the only one on here, it's just geography. The Rams are my home team.

If they moved I'd probably still support them or whatever other team they still show locally on TV most of the time.

Before the Rams, it seemed like we saw a lot of Chiefs games, so I rooted for them. Never was a Cardinals fan, that was just before my time really ... I was simply rooting for my HS football team then.

I'll always be a fan of the game, I can say that unless they turn it into something sissy or no contact. Same goes for hockey really, just we've one team the whole time.

gap
    gap is online now Registered User

Before the RAMs moved to St. Louis, I didn't have a favorite team. Even though the Cards were in town, I wasn't really into them. I did watch the games with my GF's Dad, and rooted them on, but was not a big fan. At that time I rooted for players. I was a BIG fan of Fouts and Riggins, and also enjoyed watching (sorry) Montana.

Once the RAMs attempted to move to St Louis (even before moving) I was a fan because I was extactic that anyone would tell tagbut (and the league office) to pound sand. I was SOOOOO pissed because the league gave the team that St Louis deserved to Jacksonville, FL.

So here is my breakdown.

Geography. Root for the home team. (Started at 100%, but is now 0% due to living in NC)
    I couldn't stop being a Rams fan even if I wanted to. (15%)
    Its about loyalty. A fan without that quality is nothing. (70%)
    I'm an eternal optimist. I always think things will get better. (3%)
    I truly believe there is something special about this franchise. (2%)
    I'm a glutton for punishment. (5%)
    Before this poll, I never even considered the concept of NOT being a Rams fan. (5%)

It was really tough to break these down, as I am a very loyal person, and wanted to mark that about 80-90. I also tried to give up on football, because I believe the league no longer has any integrity and I feel that games are heavily influenced to end with one specific team as the winner, but I couldn't stop watching RAMS football. So I wanted to mark that one above 50%. That also goes hand in hand with the last choice, which I also wanted to be more than 50%.

gap

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Choice B.... Before this offseason I was close to the: I am giving them two more seasons, and I might just have to become an overall NFL fan till they become better.

But with Fisher, even a couple more bad seasons, I will keep sticking it out with them haha

FestusRam is offline Registered User

While I went with the last choice, the only reason I became a Rams fan in the first place was because they are in St. Louis.

I've spent my whole life just 25 miles south of St. Louis so they are my home team. I've always been the home-team type of fan. I just dont see the purity of choosing some random team because most of the time fans who do that pick the Patriots, Packers, Colts, etc. I have friends who are bandwagon fans like that and I'm sure they hardly even watch their teams games.

Now, if you dont have a home team to root for, like many of you here, I completely understand picking a random team that you might relate to in some way. You really dont have a choice but to.

Like I said though, with the Rams being so close, they automatically are my team for the long haul win or lose.

This might seem weird, but I only really started watching them religiously around 08 and I feel like once they start winning it will be that much better to go from rags to riches.

I'd rather watch the Rams as they ascend then pick the Patriots because they win year in and year out.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    Before the RAMs moved to St. Louis, I didn't have a favorite team. Even though the Cards were in town, I wasn't really into them. I did watch the games with my GF's Dad, and rooted them on, but was not a big fan. At that time I rooted for players. I was a BIG fan of Fouts and Riggins, and also enjoyed watching (sorry) Montana.

Once the RAMs attempted to move to St Louis (even before moving) I was a fan because I was extactic that anyone would tell tagbut (and the league office) to pound sand. I was SOOOOO pissed because the league gave the team that St Louis deserved to Jacksonville, FL.

So here is my breakdown.

Geography. Root for the home team. (Started at 100%, but is now 0% due to living in NC)
    I couldn't stop being a Rams fan even if I wanted to. (15%)
    Its about loyalty. A fan without that quality is nothing. (70%)
    I'm an eternal optimist. I always think things will get better. (3%)
    I truly believe there is something special about this franchise. (2%)
    I'm a glutton for punishment. (5%)
    Before this poll, I never even considered the concept of NOT being a Rams fan. (5%)

It was really tough to break these down, as I am a very loyal person, and wanted to mark that about 80-90. I also tried to give up on football, because I believe the league no longer has any integrity and I feel that games are heavily influenced to end with one specific team as the winner, but I couldn't stop watching RAMS football. So I wanted to mark that one above 50%. That also goes hand in hand with the last choice, which I also wanted to be more than 50%.

gap
    I like what you did there. So for me:

Geography. Root for the home team. (EXACTLY same as you GAP: Started at 100% when I moved to Missouri in '98 and was 11 years old, but is now 0% due to living in NC the last 7 years)

I couldn't stop being a Rams fan even if I wanted to. (50%, pretty much have been in love with the Rams since I became a fan. Feel like I can never give that up)

Its about loyalty. A fan without that quality is nothing. (20%...Loyalty is a lot. But if your idol does something wrong, you don't have to be loyal anymore. Loyalty comes with if the who/what you are loyal always does the right thing. Or they don't deserve your loyality. For the most part Rams have done nothing wrong, just had ****ty seasons. And usually most sports teams don't do anything wrong that hits my moral fibers, this is more referred to being loyal to role models)

I'm an eternal optimist. I always think things will get better. (0%, Me, eternal optimist. Psshh, yeah right. If you hear about where I think this whole world is headed, I am anything but an optimist. I am partly an Optimist that if an evolution of the soul takes place this world will be a better place, however we are done. That is for a whole another topic.)

I truly believe there is something special about this franchise. (5%, if a random team won the 99 superbowl, and it wasn't how they won it (GSOT, Faulk, Warner, Bruce, Holt). I probably would have switched to another team by now? Probably not but GSOT has always gave me a feeling of special for this franchise)

I'm a glutton for punishment. (0%)

Before this poll, I never even considered the concept of NOT being a Rams fan. (25%, refer back to Choice B)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast