RamWraith is offline Registered User

Wide receiver knows senior status on team not quite so valuable

R.B. FALLSTROM
    Associated Press

ST. LOUIS - Getting released in the offseason by the St. Louis Rams gave Isaac Bruce a taste of the business side of football.

That four-day episode in March left the senior player on the team, who'll be entering his 13th season this fall, feeling just a bit detached. He doesn't seem to care anymore whether he concludes his career as a Ram.

"It's not real important, it's not real big on my list," Bruce said Friday after the first workout of the team's three-day minicamp. "If I do, thank God, if I don't, thank God.

"It's 13 (seasons) here and if I finish I'll be happy. If not, so what?"

Bruce was released hours before he was due a $1.5 million roster bonus, in a maneuver by the team to restructure a contract that would have paid him $10 million for the 2006 season. He was re-signed to a three-year, $15 million contract.

That was one of the first moves made by the Rams after hiring Scott Linehan as head coach to replace the fired Mike Martz.

"I was shocked, I was really surprised," fellow wide receiver Torry Holt said. "I think Isaac has for the longest time been the face of the Rams.

"So to see that was disappointing, and when I saw coach Linehan I said, 'That's how we're going to do it, huh, that's how you're going to start out?'"

It was an eye-opener for Bruce, who has been with the team since 1994, the year before the Rams moved to the Midwest from Los Angeles, and has been to four Pro Bowls. He's the team's career leader in receptions (813), yards receiving (12,278) and touchdown receptions (77), and caught the game-winning touchdown pass in the Rams' lone Super Bowl victory after the 1999 season.

His yards receiving rank 12th in NFL history.

"I know the business part of it, one day it catches up with you," Bruce said. "And it just so happened it caught up with me."

Surviving that saga means Bruce will be playing for his fifth head coach with the Rams. Like Martz, Linehan is expected to emphasize an aerial attack.

Rams players say the biggest difference is a change in terminology. They also need to get to know their new coach.

Both Bruce and Holt said Linehan, an offensive coordinator with the Dolphins last year who has never before been a head coach, does not yet fully look the part. Bruce said Linehan's post-practice talk emphasized offense.

"That's cool, I'm on the offensive side," he said.

Holt said "you can tell" Linehan is new to being in charge.

"He's still finding his way and he's still cautious at times," Holt said. "He's still trying to learn guys' personalities, so you can see his newness a little bit.

"But I'm liking him. He's all ears, and as a head coach I think that's one of the things you have to be."

Notes: The Rams get three minicamps because they've hired a new coach, and though this one was voluntary all of the key players attended. Tight end Brandon Manumaleuna, whose grandmother died, had been excused for the last two days and also failed to show up on Friday. Running back Marshall Faulk, who underwent cleanup surgery on both knees in the offseason, also was excused. ... Linebacker Trev Faulk is sitting out the minicamp with a back injury that he hopes is minor. He and a group of players coming off injuries are walking through the initial sessions.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Wide receiver knows senior status on team not quite so valuable

That four-day episode in March left the senior player on the team, who'll be entering his 13th season this fall, feeling just a bit detached. He doesn't seem to care anymore whether he concludes his career as a Ram.

"It's not real important, it's not real big on my list," Bruce said Friday after the first workout of the team's three-day minicamp. "If I do, thank God, if I don't, thank God.

"It's 13 (seasons) here and if I finish I'll be happy. If not, so what?"
    I am sure that the players understand this concept well. No player is safe. Past performance does not keep a spot for you on the team. Contracts are signed and broken. Loyalty is not a trait that is valued or used much in the NFL.

I honestly thought that they were cutting him when they did not sign him. It does not sound like Bruce was aware of the special plan to resign him after he was cut.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

i was so upset those four days cause bruce was release but then at the end i was so releaved I never want to see bruce in a different jersey..... I hope Holt will stay a ram for the rest of his career. I also hope pace, little, jackson and bulger are rams for the rest of their careers
    Last edited by RamsFan4ever; -04-22-2006 at 11:54 AM.

Haw about Marshall Faulk? Do you want to see him in a Rams jersey for the rest of his career?

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    Haw about Marshall Faulk? Do you want to see him in a Rams jersey for the rest of his career?
    Of course i do and i already know hes gonna retire as a ram..... he still has 3 or 2 years on his contract unless he is trade which i would dislike if he was traded or released

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan4ever
    Of course i do and i already know hes gonna retire as a ram..... he still has 3 or 2 years on his contract unless he is trade which i would dislike if he was traded or released
    I am not so certain that he will remain a Ram. They have made a lot of changes to the RBs already. I am not sure that they are done. Maybe they will pick up a RB in the draft and push Faulk out. Just don't be surprised if the FO and Linehan have a different picture of which players are important to keep compared to what we fans think.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Players are looking way to deeply into this. It was a business move to clear up some cap room.
    RamsFan16