MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Wide receiver Robinson being counted on to help

Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    05/02/2009

The football was like a foreign object Friday to new Rams wide receiver Laurent Robinson. "I was a little rusty," Robinson acknowledged after a bout with the "dropsies" at minicamp.

Obtained April 6 from Atlanta in an exchange of draft positions, Robinson is being counted on to emerge as a mainstay in the team's young corps of receivers. "There's a little bit of pressure on me," he conceded. "But this is what we do; this is my job. I've just got to catch the ball and make plays."

Robinson and second-year wideouts Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton took most of the snaps with the No. 1 unit on the first day of the three-day, five-practice camp under the direction of new coach Steve Spagnuolo. Barring further roster moves, that's likely where they'll remain.
    The trade stunned him a bit, Robinson said. "I was aware of (the possibility), but it was still surprising when it happened," he said. But he also knew that with veterans Torry Holt, Drew Bennett, Dante Hall and Dane Looker no longer with the Rams, he'd have ample opportunity to regain the form he flashed two years ago as a rookie.
    "It's a big opportunity," said Robinson, 6 feet 2 and 194 pounds. "Hopefully I can just step in and learn the playbook. This is my third offense in three years."

Actually, it's his fourth in four years, counting his senior season at Illinois State, where he holds school records for receptions (192) and receiving yards (3,007). A third-round draft choice in 2007, Robinson played his first season in Atlanta for coach Bobby Petrino.

Robinson, 23, appeared in 15 games, with six starts, and gathered in 37 catches for 437 yards. Petrino resigned abruptly just before the end of the season, and Robinson didn't have nearly as much success last year under coach Mike Smith.

Hampered by hamstring and knee injuries, Robinson was limited to six games. He caught just five passes for 52 yards. "I've got to forget about last year and move on to this year," Robinson said. "I'm just focused on staying positive and doing everything I can to stay healthy."

Plus, hauling in those balls when they come his way. "I've just got to get used to the quarterbacks and the atmosphere," he said, smiling. "I'll be all right."

AVERY LIKES OFFENSE

Count Avery as a fan of the West Coast offense that offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur brought from Philadelphia. "This offense is quarterback-friendly and wide receiver-friendly," Avery said. "It gives the wide receiver more opportunity just to free-lance and get open."

Avery, a second-round draftee last year, had 53 catches for 674 yards as a rookie. "It is funny, seeing other guys the same age as me, and they make fun of me, they call met 'vet,'" Avery said. "But it's all just having fun."

ROOKIES START SLOW

Spagnuolo isn't rushing even the highest of his seven draft picks into the heat of the action. First-rounder Jason Smith, the No. 2 overall selection, worked with the second team at right tackle, behind Adam Goldberg. James Laurinaitis, the second-round choice (No. 35 overall), was at inside linebacker with the third unit, behind Chris Draft and David Vobora.

"As this weekend goes, we'll try to get (the rookies) in there a little bit more," Spagnuolo said, "just so we can get a little better feel for what they can do."

RAM-BLINGS

Four players are here on a tryout basis: undrafted rookies Conor Lee, a kicker from Pittsburgh; Brooks Rossman, a kicker from Kansas State; and Eric Young, an offensive tackle from Tennessee; and wide receiver Tim Carter, a seventh-year pro who was cut last August by Houston and sat out the rest of the season. ... Wide receiver Quentin Chaney, an undrafted rookie from Oklahoma, failed his physical exam. ... Two more practices are scheduled for today. A single workout Sunday morning will wrap up minicamp.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Wide receiver Robinson being counted on to help

I really hope that Robinson plays well for this team. He's a tall receiver.

Glad to hear Avery likes this offense. Hope he gets 1000+ yards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

dvbear55 is offline Registered User

Re: Wide receiver Robinson being counted on to help

Well that's good. Robinson might end up makin plays at WR2, unless the rams sign a veteran.