throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Wilkins ends Rams' minicamp on a high note

BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS --The final practice of the St. Louis Rams' three-day minicamp ended Thursday morning with the players letting out a cheer as kicker Jeff Wilkins split the uprights on a field goal attempt.

Wilkins' field goal spared his teammates from running wind sprints in the heat.

"Wilke made the field goal and saved everybody from conditioning today," Rams coach Scott Linehan said. "On a win, you don't (run). Everything good happens when you do things right."

From 52 yards out, Wilkins' boot was no sure thing, though Linehan acted like it was.

"It was a chip shot for him," Linehan said.

With players wearing shorts and T-shirts during the minicamp, Linehan and his staff concentrated on the mental side of the game during the minicamp.

"It's more about how much they know the game and their instincts and all the intangible qualities that you don't see on film," Linehan said.

Linehan said he felt like his team was mentally prepared to play a game after the 15 full practices counting the minicamp and Organized Team Activities, but they have some work to do physically.

The Rams will put on pads when training camp starts July 27.

"We have to get in shape physically more as far as getting ready for the contact" Linehan said. "We've worked through every situation we need to work through. Now we have go out and really get ready in two-a-days."

The Rams were able to work on their red zone offense and defense during the minicamp.

New Rams wide receiver Drew Bennett showed that he can be a real threat in the red zone with a couple of touchdown receptions.

"I'm one of those who believe what you do in practice, you do in a game," Linehan said of Bennett's touchdowns.

The addition of Bennett and tight end Randy McMichael have added two more weapons to the already potent Rams offense.

"The one thing I like about the guys in our offensive meeting room is that we're quick learners," Rams wide receiver Torry Holt said. "We want to learn and we want to try to be the best we possibly can. In that meeting room, we have quite a few guys who are perfectionists."

Holt also was excited about the Rams' special teams under new special teams coach Al Roberts.

"We have some very athletic guys on special teams that I think can help us this year," Holt said. "Special teams is a matter of will and wanting to do things. I think he made a comment today, 'If you don't want to play special teams, don't come back.' I think that is a good message and good start for our football team. I think he knows the importance of our special teams and how we have been slacking there for some years."

Linehan said he was pleased with the progress of his defense, which ranked 23rd overall and 31st against the run last season, during the minicamp.

"The defense has been outstanding," Linehan said. "We did some things extremely well as far as getting to the ball and pressing the quarterback at times. I think we build on those, and then work on the things we weren't good at."

The minicamp allowed several veterans coming back from injuries to test out their surgically repaired limbs.

Left tackle Orlando Pace, defensive end James Hall and Holt were able to handle a full work load.

Pace, who is recovering from a torn triceps muscle in his left arm, looks like he's on schedule to be 100 percent by the start of training camp.

"This week we said, 'Go full speed and see how you feel,"' Linehan said of Pace. "I'm glad we did it. It was a good thing to do, and its going to help his confidence going into training camp."

Rams veterans are off until training camp. Rookies will be working a few days next, and then have the NFL's rookie symposium the next week before getting some time off.

Rams defensive end Leonard Little said there's little time to relax with training camp looming in a few weeks.

"Right now, you really have to get into training camp mode," Little said. "You may take like a week off, but you really have to stay in shape and you have to keep improving on what we've done with weight lifting and running so you come into training camp in pretty good shape."

Linehan said he plans on spending his free time watching his three sons play sports. There's baseball games, basketball practices, basketball camp and football camp.

"This is the greatest time of my life being able to go there and just be their fan and their dad and not their coach," Linehan said.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Wilkins ends Rams' minicamp on a high note

Wilkins is money from 40 yards and in, a little iffy between 41 and 49 yards, but automatic from 50 yards out!

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

Let's not forget that he holds the longest FG record in Super Bowl history (51 yards? against New England)

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I just wonder what his teammates would have done to Wilki in the locker room if he had missed.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

jkramsfan Guest

there isn 't any other kicker I would rather have,I wish his kickoffs went a little deeper,but he's the best when it comes to putting it through the uprights.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

money is still money baby