RamWraith is offline Registered User

Will all the healthy Rams please stand up?

By Michael Rushton, NFL Contributing Editor

(Sports Network) - Roll out as many cliche one-liners as you want, but the fact of the matter is, things just aren't going the St. Louis Rams' way.

When it rains it pours. If it wasn't for bad luck, I would have no luck at all. That's the way the cookie crumbles. St. Louis has heard them all this year, and things don't appear to be getting any better.

Already without Pro Bowl talents such as Marc Bulger, Isaac Bruce and Steven Jackson, the Rams offense continued to get bitten by the injury bug this past Sunday.

A receiving corps that was missing Bruce and fellow wideouts Dante Hall (ankle) and Dane Looker (thigh bruise) added another member to the walking wounded in St. Louis' 22-3 defeat at the hands of the Baltimore Ravens, as Drew Bennett left the game with a hamstring injury.

Bennett's status for this coming weekend is uncertain, while head coach Scott Linehan says he is "optimistic" Bruce will return.

Those injuries could continue to hurt the Rams dying offense, which ranks dead last in the league in points scored (12.2 ppg) and 29th in the league with an average of 283.5 yards per game.

Hall might be out a few more weeks as well due to a high-ankle sprain. Also, center Brett Romberg injured his left ankle last Sunday when a player rolled on it during a red-zone play.

Romberg is just the latest injury on an offensive line that is already without Orlando Pace (shoulder), Mark Setterstrom (knee) and Adam Goldberg (knee) and was missing Richie Incognito earlier in the year.

"With all the injuries on the offensive line, I wanted to be out there," said Romberg. "It's extremely frustrating to be on the sidelines when your team is struggling. Fortunately, the x-rays were negative and I'll be back soon. I have to be. My team needs me."

The Rams should get Bulger back this weekend, though. Linehan said on Monday that he expects the quarterback, who has sat out the last two games with bruised ribs, to be close to 100 percent on Sunday and cleared to play.

"Marc's always been about what's best for the team and wanting to win," said Linehan. "It's kind of a spark; we're looking for something -- looking for a return player on offense to spark the continual return of some of these other players. Things can turn fast for us when we start getting players back on the field."

One player who might really want Bulger to return sooner rather than later is current starting quarterback Gus Frerotte. The veteran finished Sunday 19- for-36 for 208 yards, but was intercepted a career-worst five times and also lost a fumble for a total of six turnovers.

Frerotte, who has thrown four INT's twice in his career, also left the game hurting physically as well.

"What hurts? You name it," said Frerotte. "On the last play, I took a shot to the jaw -- and it felt like I was punched. Earlier in the game, I took a shot to the ribs. But I don't think it’s anything serious and I'll be okay."

Hopefully, a return by Bulger will spark the 0-6 Rams, who have lost their first six games to start a season for the first time since 1962, when the then-Los Angeles Rams lost their first six contests before finishing 1-12-1 under Bob Waterfield and Harland Svare. That had been the worst start for the club in franchise history.

"It's very frustrating -- that's for sure," said Frerotte. "We came into this game under very difficult circumstances. The quarterback always takes the blame and I understand that. The Ravens came up with a lot of good pressure today and that made things difficult."

But if the Rams want to avoid setting a new mark for the worst beginning to a season, they are going to have to -- cliche alert -- take it one game at a time.

FILL-INS

With Bennett leaving the game and Hall, Bruce and Looker already out, youngsters Marques Hagans and Brandon Williams took on bigger roles.

Hagans led the team against Baltimore with five catches for 74 yards. Williams, meanwhile, returned two punts for 22 yards and five kickoffs for 112 yards in place of Hall.

"I think it went pretty well," said Hagans on his role as a receiver. "I always think I can make every play, so there were a couple of plays that I felt that I left on the field."

PITTMAN DEBUTS

Rookie running back Antonio Pittman was inactive for the first four games, but got his first career carries versus Baltimore. The Ohio State product was one of three Rams running backs to get carries on Sunday, totaling 11 yards on five attempts.

Brian Leonard, who has been getting the bulk of the work in Jackson's absence, had only 18 yards on 12 carries, good for only a 1.5 average. Travis Minor had 40 yards on seven attempts.

Linehan said he is hopeful that Jackson, out with a groin injury, can make some progress to get back on the field. Linehan said there is an outside chance he can play this week.

"I think it's very outside, but I don't want to determine that until we find out," said Linehan of Jackson.

QUOTABLE

It's tough from the press box to figure out why the Rams are 0-6. So, let's here what the players have to say.

"I don't know if there's anything that needs to be said," Rams defensive end Leonard Little said. "0-6, here we are. We've got to fight and try to get our first win. We made a lot of mistakes today, offensively and defensively. We've just got to try and get something together and get us our first win."

Said tight end Randy McMichael, "It's a really frustrating time for us. You just don't know what to say. Every week it's something different. We just have to stay together and keep fighting."

"The only way you can feel is to feel frustrated, but we have to keep pushing and go look at the film and get better," said linebacker Brandon Chillar. "Obviously, we need to play better as a team."

UP NEXT: IT'S RAINING, RAINING

The Rams will try for their first win of the season against a division foe next Sunday, when they will head to Seattle. The Seahawks are 3-3 on the season after last Sunday's loss to New Orleans. However, that record is still good for a tie with Arizona atop the division.

St. Louis, which is 0-2 against the NFC West this season, lost both of its games against the Seahawks last year and has lost four in a row to the club overall. However, the Rams still lead the all-time series, 10-8, including the postseason.

In Week 6 of last season, Seattle's Josh Brown hit a 54-yard field goal as time expired to give the Seahawks a 30-28 victory over the Rams the at Edward Jones Dome. Brown did it again in Week 10, hitting a 38-yard field goal with nine seconds remaining in a 24-22 victory at Qwest Field.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Will all the healthy Rams please stand up?

I'm waiting........

Somebody? Anybody? Geeesh no one is going to stand up?!

Guam rammer is online now Registered User

SJ stood up, but only to sit outside...very outside.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    SJ stood up, but only to sit outside...very outside.

Good use of the article's quote, Guam!

I still think we might as well keep Jax out of order until week 9 so that he can take advantage of the bye week (8) to heal better.

This team has become the St. Louis Rams Hospital. :x

Guam rammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Good use of the article's quote, Guam!

I still think we might as well keep Jax out of order until week 9 so that he can take advantage of the bye week (8) to heal better.

This team has become the St. Louis Rams Hospital. :x
    Agreed. I just look at some of the guys comming back and can't help to wonder if we woulda came out of those last two games with a win if frerotte had Jax to give the ball to. Leonard is doing a decent job for a rookie bihind this injury struck line but think that if Jax was back there, we woulda been more able to keep drives alive, and had more options in the passing game. With him not back there, teams look at us as one dementional and our inablity to produce in the red makes us easy pickins.

Wasnt this supposed to be a team built around him? At 0-6, unbalievably there's still a tiny chance, and With all the injuries this offense is experiencing, he's got to know that he may have that last set of keys to start this engine....Linehan and company got theres duplicated in a bad place.