r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Will Brandon Gibson Play Against Detroit?

I'm assuming he'll suit up and play this Sunday, although I haven't seen or heard anything on his status.

I wonder if he'll feel any added pressure after seeing what Witherspoon did on Monday night?

Here are some interesting remarks Devaney made about him:

Billy Devaney spoke to 101ESPN yesterday about the Brandon Gibson acquisition and he had some very interesting things to say about the newest St. Louis Ram.

First and foremost, Billy Devaney said that the Rams would not have made this trade with any other team because the Eagles have exactly the same offense and language that the Rams do.

Gibson should be able to walk in and play quickly just as Danny Amendola did earlier this season. It is possible that Gibson could play as early as this week.

Billy Devaney’s scouting report on Gibson are as follows: good hands, good size, above average speed, good route runner, tough guy to catch passes over the middle, willing blocker.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Will Brandon Gibson Play Against Detroit?

After seeing Witherspoon play on Monday, and the fact that he did so well, there's no other choice for Gibson. He must play this Sunday...And shine.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    After seeing Witherspoon play on Monday, and the fact that he did so well, there's no other choice for Gibson. He must play this Sunday...And shine.
    If he's replacing Tim Carter, that shouldn't be too difficult.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

I could catch better then carter and i played o-line in HS. /sarcasm

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I will be extremely disappointed, no......pissed off, if the kid doesn't suit up AND play. The Rams absolutely must attempt some middle to deep passes to open up the lanes for Jackson, which is how the Rams can beat the Lions D. Carter is NOT the guy to help do that. Gibson can provide at least a threat, and hell, what do we have to lose? Carter has bad hands. Always has, always will.

The Gibson kid has great potential, and Sunday is his chance to show us what he's got. I think Avery, Gibson and Amendola will make a pretty decent set of receivers.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Carter shouldn't be on the team at this point.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

He better play Carter needs to be cut. IMO we have so bad at receiver Martin and Gibson should be active.

I am not the biggest Burton Fan, I like Amendola in the slot, Avery is an inconsistent deep threat, Martin has that guy even been healthy, Gibson put the man on the field, Carter is a scrub I'd rather have Jason Smith at WR

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

While driving into work this morning the Witherspoon/ Gibson & 5th round pick trade came up on the NFL Talk radio. Brain McGovern and Ross Tucker were the hosts. They both are really questioning this trade saying that they both like and have a ton of respect for Devaney but don't understand what this deal was all about? Tucker a former NFL player doesn't understand how a team could trade away their cornerstone defender for a 5th and (Gibson) a 6th round pick?

For what it's worth.....

txramsfan is offline Registered User

If he doesn't play Sunday then why the heck did we trade for him? It's not like we traded for him to be the future #1. We traded for him because our WR's are worse than Southlake Carroll H.S. in Dallas.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

When we signed Will, I'm sure we were hoping he'd play like a cornerstone. It didn't happen, blame the D line if you want .. I think Will didn't fit the mold Spags and Devaney want. By trading him we at least got something for him along with some cap relief. We also got a player that ostensibly can come in and play right away due to his familiarity with our offensive system.

With the team being up for sale, and 2010 likely being an uncapped year, a new owner might want to go on a spending spree. You can be sure Snyder and Jerry J. will be spending like drunken sailors trying to buy a superbowl team.

To me it's pretty simple: Will didn't fit the Spags Devaney mold, he's getting older, and he's too expensive. If we're talking cornerstone, how about J.L.? Gibson is a guy who Billy and Steve felt fit their mold at a position of great need right now!! He didn't break the bank either. Maybe the guy won't pan out, but I like the move.

Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch reported this today:

At 6-4, 220, Martin would give quarterback Marc Bulger a big target in the passing game. Unless the Rams suit up five wide receivers, something they haven't done all season, the coaching staff must decide between Martin, newly acquired Brandon Gibson, or Tim Carter as their fourth wideout Sunday against Detroit.
    Could Ruvell Martin, a street free agent, get to play instead of Gibson, a guy highly touted by Billy Devaney who was seen as a good enough prospect to send starter Will Witherspoon packing in the middle of the season? That would be frustrating and a bit puzzling to me. If Amendola can come in and play immediately, why not Gibson? I would think before the trade, the Rams took a hard look at Gibson and determined that he could be utilized immediately, especially since Devaney made the point of emphasizing his knowledge of the offense.

It'll be intersting to see what happens, but surely the Rams will suit Gibson, right?
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -10-30-2009 at 03:51 PM.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I certainly hope he plays, Im interested to see what he's got.
    The seasons over so their's no reason to hold him back?
    Still wouldnt surprise me if he was held out till after the bye-week?

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch reported this today:

Could Ruvell Martin, a street free agent, get to play instead of Gibson, a guy highly touted by Billy Devaney who was seen as a good enough prospect to send starter Will Witherspoon packing in the middle of the season? That would be frustrating and a bit puzzling to me. If Amendola can come in and play immediately, why not Gibson? I would think before the trade, the Rams took a hard look at Gibson and determined that he could be utilized immediately, especially since Devaney made the point of emphasizing his knowledge of the offense.

It'll be intersting to see what happens, but surely the Rams will suit Gibson, right?
    they should play 5 wideouts..i dont know if they will but when you consider that Avery has had all sorts of bumps in this short season already and the other Wideouts for that matter..and then considering that if they just played 4, one of them would be Amendola our returner who although he`s avoided injury so far..he is more exposed to big hits than any of the other wideouts... we simply gotta go with 5.
    i know they havent yet this season but that just may be due to not having 5 healthy enough wideouts to pick...we shall soon find out the answer to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblin` Ram View Post
    they should play 5 wideouts..i dont know if they will but when you consider that Avery has had all sorts of bumps in this short season already and the other Wideouts for that matter..and then considering that if they just played 4, one of them would be Amendola our returner who although he`s avoided injury so far..he is more exposed to big hits than any of the other wideouts... we simply gotta go with 5.
    I agree that they should play 5 considering every WR on the team has been banged up at one time or another. If I remember correctly, there was one game where we were down to 2 healthy WR's.

The problem is that there are multiple areas where injuries have taken their toll and I don't see the Rams doing anything different this week by having 5 WR's activated. We'll see.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I suggest we go with:

Avery
    Burton
    Amendola

And rotate Gibson and Martin in and out, and rotate them with Amendola too. We need more weapons on this offense, and the sooner we find out what everyone can contribute to this team, the better.