Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Will it be enough?

Thus far, the Rams have hired a new coaching staff, have acquired new starters at C, FB and SS, and have turned other roles over to younger players.

It can be assumed that the Rams will likely acquire at least two additional starters in the draft.

My question is, if the goal is to show substantial improvement, which I will define (for the purposes of this thread) as winning 7-9 games in 2009...

Will it be enough?

eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: Will it be enough?

We need to do something about our MLB, DT and bring some good depth on the front seven sides. And even with what we did on the OL and the chance we will probably draft an OT, our line will take some time to come together. We have a young WRís group, IMO no one who can come in and be a good back up if we lost SJ. I would say no. I would hope Adam C will step it up. Long keep on track for improvement but our front seven needs to do a better job stopping the run. If SJ goes down oh my we need more talent and I donít see it right now.
    :ramlogo:

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    We need to do something about our MLB, DT and bring some good depth on the front seven sides. And even with what we did on the OL and the chance we will probably draft an OT, our line will take some time to come together. We have a young WRís group, IMO no one who can come in and be a good back up if we lost SJ. I would say no. I would hope Adam C will step it up. Long keep on track for improvement but our front seven needs to do a better job stopping the run. If SJ goes down oh my we need more talent and I donít see it right now.
    So is that a "no"?

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

The short answer... yes.

The long answer... heck yes.

The in-depth answer...

I think so but fixing a team is a constantly evolving process. When you change one thing it effects another. For instance our defense against the pass last year was I think ranked 19th. Our defense against the run was ranked 29th. Well since we couldn't stop the run, teams probably didn't need to pass as much. As we start to fix the run defense we could actually see a slip in the pass defense because they wlll be challenged even more than before. Kind of a two steps forward one step back... but at least we are moving forward.

On paper I do think we have the right coaches, the right scheme and the right players to get 7 or 9 wins this year.

jbell15 is offline Registered User

We will be significantly better at running the football, and that makes us soooo much better as a team. First, it keeps our undersized defense off the field. Second, it creates more manageable third downs. Being able to run the ball also makes us way better in the red zone. The fact that we will come out of the first two rounds with a LT, even furthers our running game. Our defense will not be so tired at the end of the game, because we don't have not winehan's awful clock management, or al saunders awful play calling. Because we improved our run game so much in free agency, means that we can use the draft to get a LT, a WR and use the rest to fix our defense. Our pass defense will be much better because we don't have lead foot chavous out there and bartell and oj are pro bowl candidates. Stopping the run is the next thing we need to take care of, and we will in the draft. I'm not going to predict a record, because i expect us to win every game. But, to answer your question it is an emphatic.....YES!!!

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    So is that a "no"?
    Lol Yes!
    :ramlogo:

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

I say yes,but if not it is OK. We are getting younger as a team and appear to be building for the future and not just a quick fix. I like our new direction and would not call it a failure even if we only win 3 games this year. I'm looking forward to the future!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I am hoping for some passion this year. For me, it won't be measured in W's and L's it will be did the team have heart. They haven't had any since Martz left.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Its all on the young guys like Avery, Carriker, Bartell, Grecco, OJ, and Long. All these guys need to step up. I think they will, so my answer is yes

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I think yes. You've also got to remember the improvement that will be shown by the 2008 picks, because i believe that was a very solid draft class. I think the fact we have a coach who knows what it takes for a team to be successful is extremely important as well, i think Spags will do a much better job of inspiring the players who for the last few seasons have been playing at way below their best. So i'm not looking at the team as having 5 new starters on last season, i'm looking at every player being different a player to who they were under Linehan.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

i think yes, the team will be more productive and play in a different state of mind than last year..i remember being so excited last year before the first game and seeing them play against the philly in the opener, man you talk about watching your own team look like theyre begging to finish the game..and "Goose" was calling it back and forth, "The Rams look like they dont even want to be here, barely jogging back to the line after breaking the huddle"

rampower is offline Registered User

Until I see what we add to the team and how they work out and fit, I have to say no.

But to mirror rambunctious a bit, I think long term, next year and beyond, the futrue looks bright. We have a plan.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

thermobee is offline Registered User

I dont think we should measure this years success on wins. I belive we should measure our success in building a strong defense( which is something i hope spags can do as soon as possible) and have a swagger on offense that says we are going to run the ball on you and you cant do anything about it.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

I say yes, and Ive been around a LONG time. I did catch the tail end of Carrolls reign, but since I was about ten years old it's been all Georgia. Some good times, but mostly .... not so much. That said, I'm SO excited now. Say what you will, but I think Chip has been wonderful and has not hesitated to do EVERYTHING he deems necessary for improvement. From landing BD and Spags, to signing OJ and Bartell, acquiring Brown and Karney .....

Oh yeah, I'm excited. Now we take back our division! 2-14 to wildcard!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I don't thin it's enough for THIS season. There are still too many question marks with the existing roster and we're obviously still a couple of pieces away from even being thought of as contenders. At the head of that List is the performance of Marc Bulger. As much as I believe that the last two seasons he's been under intense pressure from a poor OL, learning schemes he wasn't comfortable with, nor suited to playing in... Something in me wonders if he still has it.

Among other things, we don't really have starters at Wide Receiver, MLB or Right Tackle and one of our Conrer slots may be vacant next year, depending on the performance of Hill. Leonard Little is entering what will likely be his final season as a Ram and once again we'll have to look at defensive ends in the net twelve-to-thirteen months. On top of this, we still don't have a Nose Tackle.

We don't need superstars at all of those positions, but we do need capable starters. In the short term, I'm not expecting us to set the world alight. I think we'll improve moderately on last season and be a fairly complete team in 2010. Spagnuolo is known for devising defensive schemes that suit the types of players he has and I'm hoping there will be no exception in St. Louis, which should assist us in getting some of those marginal losses from last season into the 'W' column.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast