Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Varg6 is offline Registered User

Will Linehan be gone if...

Ok, before I even ask the question...I am in no way shape or form saying that we're going to have a losing season...HOWEVER, if we have a losing season with Linehan, is he gone? And say he is fired, would it be wise to get a new head coach now (this off-season), and assume his third year would be abyssmal as well or do you wait out the 3 years? Either which way, mostly every brand new head coach's first year is a transition year, so either which way (Unless Linehan is re-signed obviously) we're going to be doing not so great for a few years...hypathetically of course. Thoughts?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Will Linehan be gone if...

Linehan is not going anywhere. We missed the playoffs by one game in his first year, with that team says a lot. Our D in ranked 10th after two games showing improvement. Yes we are 0-2, only due to our playmakers making some bone head plays. Holt, SJ and Hall have fumbled away the first two games. If these players make the routine plays by holding on to the ball we are not having this conversation. I canít see how we can blame Linehan for injuries and players missing time due to off the field, poor decision by players.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Linehan is not going anywhere. We missed the playoffs by one game in his first year, with that team says a lot. Our D in ranked 10th after two games showing improvement. Yes we are 0-2, only due to our playmakers making some bone head plays. Holt, SJ and Hall have fumbled away the first two games. If these players make the routine plays by holding on to the ball we are not having this conversation. I canít see how we can blame Linehan for injuries and players missing time due to off the field, poor decision by players.
    Quoted in entirety for truth.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

The only chance Linehan has at being fired after this season is if we can count the number of wins the Rams achieve on one hand, and even then I would imagine he'd simply get one more season before anything definite is done. Coaches generally get at least three years on the job, and I don't think Linehan's situation is any different.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RealRam is offline Registered User

That's right, Nick. It would be SL's 3rd year and I doubt that this year will end worse than last season.

In his opinion, Jim Thomas of the P-D also mentioned that he doesn't expect Coach to be fired unless something totally drastic causes a 1-15, 2-14 crashing result by the end of December.

And say he is fired, would it be wise to get a new head coach now (this off-season), and assume his third year would be abyssmal as well, or do you wait out the 3 years? Either which way, mostly every brand new head coach's first year is a transition year, so either which way (Unless Linehan is re-signed obviously) we're going to be doing not so great for a few years...hypothetically of course. -- Varg6
    Valid and legit observation, V6. Worse case scenario for Coach is that the temperature would be turned up to MAX on the hot seat.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

I think we'll have to be 4-12 or worse for Linehan to fired.

Personally, if we finished less then 6-10 I wouldn't lose any sleep over him being fired, but I guess the guy deserves a few years.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

How many of you would've said that Stephen Jackson would've had to be restrained while trying to get to Linehan in Game two?

????

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I agree with the consensus here. It'd take worse than just a losing season. I'd say anything less than 5 wins might get him fired. At that point we'd probably be talking about a team in the bottom five. This year, the coach will get the benefit of the doubt. He doesn't have to convince people he's the right guy for the job this year; he just has to not convince them he's the wrong one.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

They say that good things come in threes.

Someone look in the record books and see what happened to Dick Vermiel's third edition Rams.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

It will take a combination of things to lose Linehan his job:

A team revolt. If the team just looses confidience in his leadership. Perhaps the S. Jackson blow-up was the first sign of that, though I doubt it. Now if it was Bulger, I'd be worried if I was Linehan.

Bone headed decisions would be another clue. Like getting 5 TEs and not getting any production. Hmmmm have to think about that one some more.

Losing record would be the final straw. Whinding up 2-14 would not be good for Linehan.

Still likely to happen if any 2 of those three should happen; head office likely will have a CHAT with Linehan that would give him cause to worry about his future. More to the point Linehan would have to find a scapegoat, likely the offensive coordinator. Which I think is more likely to happen. Should Linehan through some or all the team under the bus, then stick a fork in him, for I wouldn't give him a year.

Right now Linehan has to work harder and Smarter and fast. The NFC-west is a tough conference with little margin for error. First task get that o-line together and find plays that work with its strengths and minimize its weakness. Second get the team fired up to play like professionals. Third take a long hard look at the pass pre-season/off season choices and see what could have been and SHOULD have been so as not to make the same mistakes.

rampete is offline Registered User

i can't imagine this team will be any worse than 7-9 this season...if we had been
    blown out 28-0, 37-10, then i'd see it differently...injuries, suspension and a slow
    start are things that a HC has little control over...

even if we do go 3-13 or worse, as long as the games are competitive and close,
    linehan is safe, imo...

theodus69 is offline Registered User

It is amazing to me , that we lose one lineman and the line can't even function. Cheese and rice, Pace is good ( Great actually) but what the are these back ups doing on the team if they can't back up? Does this team have no depth at tackle?
    I'm just a little pissed off at the early debackle the team is in at week 3!!!!!!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

And there is one strike against Linehan. True second stringers are not starters but they suppose to be good enough to challenge a starter for his job. Talent evaluation is a Head Coaches job and there is where I have my doubts regarding Linehan; that he didn't do a very good job creating depth

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    And there is one strike against Linehan. True second stringers are not starters but they suppose to be good enough to challenge a starter for his job. Talent evaluation is a Head Coaches job and there is where I have my doubts regarding Linehan; that he didn't do a very good job creating depth
    He had depth. He had Pace, Barron, Todd Steussie, McCollum, Romberg, Incognito, Terell, Setterstrom, Goldberg and Brown.

Tell me now that this, on the face of it, Isn't a very deep offensive line. unfortunately, we've had injuries at key positions. So we're not just playing backups. With Steussie and Pace both gone wer'e playing the equivalent of the backup's backup. A third stringer. Would you not agree that if Pace or Barron went down Steussie would play?

It just so happens that both went down in consecutive weeks. You can't fight injuries, nor can you win with them, it seems.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

The only way he'd be gone at this year's end is if he resigns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast