moklerman Guest

Will luck hold out for Rams?

The Rams have looked like a good team recently, earning quite a bit of respect in the process. They are playing well on both sides of the ball and even pretty good on special teams.

As much adversity as the Rams have faced this year with injuries, Martz and all the other dips in the roller coaster ride that is the Rams, it's a testament to this team that they were able to win their first playoff game today.

I think that lady luck has been especially kind to the team over the last three weeks and hope that it will continue next week, most likely against Philly. Heck, if things keep going this way, Minnesota will beat Green Bay tomorrow and the Rams will play Atlanta, which I think is a more winnable game than Philly.

The Rams have been recipients of:
    -Philly resting most of their starters in a week 16 game!
    -Bulger's injury not being as serious as a throwing shoulder could be.
    -Brien missing the fg to keep the Rams alive.
    -Getting help from Carolina
    -Engram dropping a sure td that was in his hands to end the game today.

This year, it's probably better to be lucky than good and the Rams have had the hot hand the past three weeks. Just two more and we'll be the worst (8-8) good team ever! Actually, I think the Rams already hold that honor at 9-7 with some other teams. This reminds me of the Lakers of the last few years. Play just good enough to get in to the dance, and then do some damage.

viper is offline Registered User

Re: Will luck hold out for Rams?

Nice post, Moklerman...several good points. You never know, but, if anybody's asking...I like our chances next week, no matter who we play next week!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

The Rams have had some luck the last few weeks but are peaking at the right time and are starting to create their own luck. We're in a position to control our own destiny and 1-0 in the new season. I don't think anyone is looking forward to playing against this team. Bring on the competition whoever it is!

adarian_too is offline Registered User

You can never turn your nose up at Lady Luck. But I'm also superstituous enough not to want to call attention to the Lady's role until she is well and truly gone.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Some people always look at things do different. I guess it was pure luck that this team has
    -fought through nagging injuries to Bulger, Jackson, Nutten, Little, Hargrove, Thomas, Pisa, etc...
    -Losing Turley and Wohlabaugh on the line
    -Losing a defensive coach to Chicago
    -Over coming a complete media blitzing and lack of support from fans
    -Seeing a complete collapse of Williams on the right side
    -Losing how many starting safeties through the year, including a pro bowler
    -Family health of many of the coaches and players
    -attempting to close the book on one of the most controversial player/team/coach enigmas to ever hit this team
    -fighting through a game of free agency that has depleted this team with high dollar rollers heading for greener pastures

You are right, luck has a lot to do with what has transpired over the last few months. But I see something in this team that has a lot more to do with resolve andreflections into ones self. Even if this team loses the next game I have a new found respect for their accomplishments and dedication to the game. I know now 2005 will be another well fought battle and I have a team and a coach I can be proud of.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    The Rams have been recipients of:
    -Philly resting most of their starters in a week 16 game!
    -Bulger's injury not being as serious as a throwing shoulder could be.
    -Brien missing the fg to keep the Rams alive.
    -Getting help from Carolina
    -Engram dropping a sure td that was in his hands to end the game today.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Luck has certainly had something to do with it, but I agree with Wraith in that this team has really overcome some adversity this season and have been directly responsible for where they are. Heck, look at what happened when Chris Gray of Seattle went out and the Seahawks were forced to go to their depth chart on the O-line - Jimmy Kennedy got by the guy for a key sack. Meanwhile, we've been overcoming offensive line injuries all year, one to Nutten yesterday for instance, and still come out fighting. Some of it's luck, but a lot of it I believe is the toughness and heart of this team.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Yodude is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Some people always look at things do different. I guess it was pure luck that this team has.....
    No body said that all our success over the last three weeks was exclusively a result of being lucky...I'm not sure where you got that impression from.

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    The Rams have looked like a good team recently, earning quite a bit of respect in the process. They are playing well on both sides of the ball and even pretty good on special teams.

As much adversity as the Rams have faced this year with injuries, Martz and all the other dips in the roller coaster ride that is the Rams, it's a testament to this team that they were able to win their first playoff game today.
    Not sure where the "pure luck" statement is coming from. I think everyone has to admit that luck has certainly played a PART of where we are right now. Besides....good teams make their own luck! :smile:

And we are certainly starting to resemble a good team.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

you need luck.

As long as the Rams take advantage of it, I will ride lady luck right into the Superbowl every time

moklerman Guest

...and lady luck smiles once again. I didn't think Minnesota had it in them but the got the job done. Is a home game in the NFC championship in the cards? Two dome games in a row to continue the miraculous run in the playoffs? It's starting to feel like 1999 all over again. Hopefully things will keep bouncing the Rams' way.