IronHornedRam is offline Registered User

Will the Offseason aquisitions help the rams D

With the new additions to the rams "D" and the draft comming up will they be able to put a solid "D" on the field this year? Thoughts?:clanram:

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Will the Offseason aquisitions help the rams D

No doubt in my mind it will. Our D is already so much better than last years. Through the Draft and Free Agency with Haslett at DC we could being a Great D and be one to be scared about in the NFC.
    RamsFan16

txramsfan is offline Registered User

they can't do any worse, but Glover/Witherspoon in itself was a prize package. Tag on Chavous, who could be our next Aeneas Williams, and I'd say the D is majorly upgraded.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I think this could be a slightly below average defense......which is all we need. That's what we had in 2003 when we went 12-4.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

It'll be better than the last couple years, but I'm not going to say it'll be solid until I see what we get in the draft. The secondary is good enough it won't be a liability unless the other units really underperform. If you give a quarterback enough time, somebody is going to get open. On the D-line, we should see an improved pass rush, but Hargrove can't have another 1 sack season at end. I have high hopes for Kennedy, but even if he performs well, the depth behind him is iffy. Strongside linebacker is the great unknown right now; if we start Coakley, Chillar, or Raonall Smith at SLB, I'm worried. Looking at our additions, Chavous is savvy, Witherspoon should look very sharp, Brown will compete for time at corner, but who will stop the run?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think the additions will help quite a bit - particularly the addition of Jim Haslett and the addition-by-subtraction of getting rid of Larrie Marmie.

general counsel is offline Registered User

The defense is going to look at lot better if bulger stays healthy, given that we will score a lot more points. If we are playing with the lead, and return to our capicity to score 30 points per game, we are going to look a lot better.

To me, while the defense certainly looks better on paper already, the key guy is kennedy. I liked pickett a lot more than some other people and if kennedy doesnt step up, i still dont see how we are going to be all that effective stopping the run.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

maineram is offline Registered User

The aquisitions WILL help, but are not the cure-all. Our defense sucked out loud last year and 3-4 players aren't going to make this defense a top ten. I am forever optomistic that we will be in or near the top 10, but realistically it probably won't happen.

Keys to this years defense;
    - An upright Bulger
    - A solid running game ( FOR REAL)
    - Kennedy, Kennedy, Kennedy
    - a healthy secondary, ( Fisher, Butler)
    - Free agent defensive additions
    - 2006 draft

If ALL fall in place, this will be a top 10 defense for 2006

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

coy bacon is offline Registered User

All this emphasis on Kennedy by you smart guys worries me.

Gee, the guy has been a bonafide underachiever up to this point, and now he's a lynchpin of the D. Spirits & spooks are making me shiver, the house is haunted!

Is Leroy Jenkins in the house? I got a bad feeling about this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

the biggest addition is not a player is gettng rid of the marmie defensive scheme. bringing in haslett alone will help the defense immensely. the past 2 years the rams D has lacked intensity period. I also believe otogwe will step up and be the free safety wee need

general counsel is offline Registered User

The reason that all the emphasis is on kennedy is that there is literally no one else on the roster to fill that role. This is NOT the same thing as the tight end, which is a complimentary position. Defense tackle, especially the nose tackle spot, is the front line defense to stopping the run and is a pivital position. Until we get an alternative, there is no choice but to pray and hope that kennedy asserts himself this year.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

raleigh_ram is offline Registered User

I agree that Kennedy needs to step it up along with Hargrove to have a solid D. We have added some talent and depth in linebacker position to prevent the run, but the safety and corners, to me, have a question mark all over them. I don't doubt there is talent, but staying healthy hopefully won't haunt us. I really wanted to target somekind of OLB, but now I 'm thinking CB, then OLB or TE next.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    All this emphasis on Kennedy by you smart guys worries me.

Gee, the guy has been a bonafide underachiever up to this point, and now he's a lynchpin of the D. Spirits & spooks are making me shiver, the house is haunted!

Is Leroy Jenkins in the house? I got a bad feeling about this.
    The emphasis is not on Kennedy just for being Kennedy, it's on Kennedy as the (as GC said) ONLY NT on the roster. This defense will have a much rougher road to hold if there is not a gap eater in the middle. That's just the game. We have to hope for Kennedy to step up, because there is no alternative. If our interior line gets run over, our D will suffer again.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I feel like the Defense has no where to go but up. As Av stated in an earlier post, Haslett will be the biggest improvement..it's all about attitude, "SMASH MOUTH"

:clanram: