Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: Will to play OLB

The biggest concern with transitioning outside linebackers to the middle is typically a lack of size and strength required to shed head on blocks that most pursuit MLB's see. It's often difficult to find a LB that has both the range and strength to be successful in the middle. You look around the league, and there are not a ton of MLB that just make you go - WOW, that guy is awesome ...

Curry is an incredible specimen - 250 lbs with great speed and range. His transition to the middle should be a quick and easy one. Many, many scouts have him projected in the middle in the NFL. He's too big to play the weakside, and far too great a talent to be wasted on the strongside ....

Curry, IMO, is a MLB no matter where he goes. Great strength, great size, great speed, great instincts, great cover skills, a no brainer in my opinion ...

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    The biggest concern with transitioning outside linebackers to the middle is typically a lack of size and strength required to shed head on blocks that most pursuit MLB's see. It's often difficult to find a LB that has both the range and strength to be successful in the middle. You look around the league, and there are not a ton of MLB that just make you go - WOW, that guy is awesome ...

Curry is an incredible specimen - 250 lbs with great speed and range. His transition to the middle should be a quick and easy one. Many, many scouts have him projected in the middle in the NFL. He's too big to play the weakside, and far too great a talent to be wasted on the strongside ....

Curry, IMO, is a MLB no matter where he goes. Great strength, great size, great speed, great instincts, great cover skills, a no brainer in my opinion ...
    Great reply Infiniti, I'm still not sold.

Sorry

txramsfan is offline Registered User

me either. It's worked before (Nolan Cromwell) failed before (Eric Crouch) and the jury is still out though for me personally it's failing (Adam Carriker).

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Time for a RECAP:

So let's see we signed free agent (WLB) Will Witherspoon and moved him to (MLB). Some say it has been a failure. I actually think WW has done a better than decent job with the change of position.

Now we are looking at drafting an (SLB) to try him at the (MLB) position. Why?
    Because he's bigger than Witherspoon, yet has not played one down in the NFL. "EXPERIMENTAL"

Maybe just maybe we should take the guessing game out of this.

Bring in a player that has exerience playing MLB? Whether it be through the draft or trade or free agency.

Or how about we leave Witherspoon at MLB?

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    This kind of talk concerns me. Aaron Curry OLB during his college career could be our next MLB? I don't like it.

Why can't we find players that have experience playing the position we want them to play?

Enough already!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    True that!!! enough of the experiments. We need to draft the real deal and from now on, it should be play your position or sit down.
    Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    Witherspoon playing in the middle IS THE EXPERIMENT! sounds like the Rams are doing exactly what you and laramo want.... ending the experiment. Witherspoon is a natural OLB.... not a mike lb.

btw, we don't know Curry's going in there. all we know is that Witherspoon is sliding over to OLB. thats it.
    Alot of truth here but let's depict the facts:

1. Will is a natural OLB and his experiment at MLB needs to end. He is more servicable as a OLB; being at MLB limts his abliity to play sideline-to-sideline.

2. Curry is also a OLB, and just because you have the size & tackling ability that does not mean that you should ask a guy to make the jump to the next level and ask him to change positions and become Quaterback of your defense(unless we believe he is the 2nd coming of London Fletcher). If you've ever tried to play both you will know that they these are 2 different worlds, and the thing that gets me about Curry (although I admit that he's a beast) is that he was by far the best player on his team thus it was easy for him to stick out; we always see guys each year who everyone calls the next "sure thing" only to find out otherwise in september. To make a long story short, I'm not sold on drafting him at #2 if that is the discussion in ST. Louis.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Linebacker Aaron Curry is the safest player to pick in the upcoming NFL Draft, and, if it weren’t for Michael Crabtree, the best player in the draft.

The Wake Forest product was simply amazing at this year’s NFL Combine, wowing scouts with his quick feet and massive upper body.

Curry comes out of college as a hard-hitting linebacker measured at 6-foot-2-inches and 254 lbs. Aaron became a national name for scouts in 2007 and is headed to the pros with a lot of hardware. He was named All-Conference in the ACC three times, a one-time All-American, and was the 2008 Dick Butkus award winner.

Curry was the top performer in five events at the Combine, including the 40-yard dash, bench press, vertical jump, broad jump, and the 60-yard shuttle. He put up a very impressive time of 4.56 in the 40.

That means that Curry outran all but seven running backs, all of the quarterbacks (excluding Pat White), and all but one of the tight ends. Aaron also topped the list for the 60-yard shuttle, completing it in 11.35 seconds.

Still not impressed? Well, Curry can jump, too. He posted a 10'4" inch broad jump and a 37-inch vertical, the best numbers for a linebacker. His strength also came into play when he put up an impressive 25 reps at 225 lbs.

Most scouts view Curry as a Keith Bullock with a little bit more speed. Here are some scouting reports on Aaron:

"Curry is an athletic, physical linebacker who makes plays all over the field. He’s aggressive at the line of scrimmage and is a force against the run. He uses his hands effectively, sheds blocks and creates havoc in the backfield. He has a good burst and is excellent in pursuit. He displays good lateral movement; a little stiff in the hips, but gets good depth on his drops." Chris Steuber, Scout.com

"Possesses a terrific blend of size and bulk…Exceptional speed, quickness and athleticism…Very physical and tough…Excellent strength and power…Extremely aggressive…Outstanding instincts and awareness…Offers a lot of versatility…Reliable tackler who will deliver the big hit…Really uses his hands well…Does a nice job of taking on and shedding blockers…Superb pass rusher and blitzer…Has sideline-to-sideline range…Will attack and fill against the run…Comfortable in space…Can match up and make plays in coverage…Has a lot of experience…Durable and never missed a game due to injury…Smart…Hard worker…Team leader…Super productive." NFL Draft Countdown
    He would be perfect in the middle.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Hey guys, we still need an strong side linebacker too, unless you saw more out of Quinton Culberson than I did. So at worst we are paying an extremely gifted athlete a lot of money to be a starter for our defense. I don't see what's wrong in that. Sure MLB is a more pressing need, but we will be drafting an every down backer regardless of what his title is. What I mean by that is he could play SOLB when we are in our 4-3, and still be on the field in our nickle, dime, and quarter packages. So basically my point is even if he isn't the answer for MLB, he won't be a bust and waste of money, because the kid is gonna be on the field and making plays on Sunday.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    He would be perfect in the middle.
    Sounds like Patrick Willis to me. Definitely worth every consideration at number two. I'm not particularly a huge fan of drafting O-Lineman that high anyway.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Sounds like Patrick Willis to me. Definitely worth every consideration at number two. I'm not particularly a huge fan of drafting O-Lineman that high anyway.
    Totally agree. AT WORST, Curry should project as a pro bowl strong side linebacker. He has all the skills to play in the middle ....

Tie up that kind of money in a LT, it can really set you back. Most LT's have been playing LT all their life, and if they cannot transition to the NFL, they typically don't have much value. A few busts have been able to transition to guard, but you don't pay guards #2 money ....

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Hey guys, we still need an strong side linebacker too, unless you saw more out of Quinton Culberson than I did. So at worst we are paying an extremely gifted athlete a lot of money to be a starter for our defense. I don't see what's wrong in that. Sure MLB is a more pressing need, but we will be drafting an every down backer regardless of what his title is. What I mean by that is he could play SOLB when we are in our 4-3, and still be on the field in our nickle, dime, and quarter packages. So basically my point is even if he isn't the answer for MLB, he won't be a bust and waste of money, because the kid is gonna be on the field and making plays on Sunday.
    yeah but you also want to address your needs first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Whoa....that is a big statement there, let's not annoint the guy just yet, we've seen too many bust in the NFL.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    yeah but you also want to address your needs first and foremost.

Whoa....that is a big statement there, let's not annoint the guy just yet, we've seen too many bust in the NFL.

Not annointing anybody, just comparing his skillset to Willis's coming out of college.

blood85 is offline Registered User

Curry would be a nice addition, but we need to BUILD AN OFFENSIVE LINE NOW!!! WE will win games in the TRENCHES, on both sides of the ball!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12